1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Duck dynasty star to return to show ?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by sldanlm, Dec 26, 2013.

1. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Phil Robertson Will Return To 'Duck Dynasty' Episodes In January

When I spent Christmas at my parents, someone had to bring up in general discussion about how "unfair" it was for A&E to fire the guy (he was never fired, just "suspended" during the reruns) simply because he was expressing his religious beliefs, and reasons why he's straight. (likes vaginas) I mentioned that one possible solution would be to pass a law that says you can't be fired for expressing your personal beliefs about a topic, or expressing what your sexual orientation is, like being straight. The person was all for that, until I mentioned it could also be used to prevent an employer from firing someone who expressed the opposite opinion of the Duck Dynasty guy. Suddenly it became a matter of religious freedom for employers, or whether the employees views conflict with the companys image, or might offend some of the companys customers.

Before Christmas, my boyfriend said somebody might say something like this, and he was right. The big difference though is firing someone like me would mean little for my employer, compared to A&E losing Duck Dynasty, since the other show members have said they might not participate without him being involved. I find it a little ironic though that a show about a family that sells duck calls is a number one show on a network that calls itself Arts and Entertainment.

2. Tim

Tim

As I posted in the big Duck Dynasty thread, A&E has not changed their mind.

Season 4 was filmed before his interview with GQ.

A&E aren't going to let the money they spent filming an entire season of the show go to waste over this. I don't blame them. However, he's been suspended from the show, so if a season 5 happens, he won't be in it.

But this was filmed BEFORE the controversy.

3. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, what Tim said is correct. Once season five officially airs, you will not see him have at least a major role in the show.

4. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I didn't take from this article (and a few others like it out there) that they had actually changed their minds yet, only that they were looking for a way to bring him back for season five if they had to. By had to, I mean if

A: season 4 is as successful as the previous seasons, and

B: if the other cast members decide to not return if he's not allowed to participate. If it was a cast member of Pawn stars, they'd probably do the show anyway without a particular cast member (as they've said, family comes first, and money comes second, depending on who you ask) but the Robertson family was doing okay before the show, and will continue to do okay without it. A&E has more to lose than they do, depending on what happens with season 4. One of the quotes from the story was,

"The network also hopes the media and fan furor will cool down over the holidays and that tensions over shooting future episodes can then be resolved,"

Suspended can mean anything they want it to mean, compared to saying terminated. Has A&E come out and said that the suspension is permanent, unless he recants or apoligizes, which isn't likely?

I personally don't care one way or the other whether he comes back or not. I didn't watch seasons 1-3, and wouldn't watch season 4 even if the whole cast came out as gay. I just find the hypocracy of his supporters personally annoying, considering my situation. Over the Christmas holidays, I found someone who is very willing to take my case should one come up, and could survive for a while being unemployed, I just have to decide whether it's all worth it or not personally.

5. OuterSpaceACE

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A&E has a lot of other successful shows. I really hope they stick to their original message of not wanting to associate with people whose views are not in line with A&E's support of LGBT. However, I do not personally feel this will be the case. I don't think companies really stand for any principles other than making the most money they can. We have already seen how CrackerBarrel flip-flopped when they realized how unpopular making a stand would be. I must admit that every time I go to wal-mart I want to just kick over all the Duck Dynasty garbage they sell. I should just quit going there. I have noticed that a lot of the Duck Dynasty stuff is mysteriously on sale all the sudden, so maybe they are trying to clear it out, sort of under the radar.

6. DoriaN

The clan will stay together.
    A&E can suck it, they can go to any broadcaster they want, and even Louisiana itself directly supports Phil.
    If I ran the show I wouldn't mind straight up cancelling it period, made enough money, extra is just extra.
    I don't even watch the show, but a person should be able to express their views OUTSIDE the show (Looks like I'll never be hired by A&E for typing this).
    Underhanded conniving reporters, doing what they can to stir the pot, get controversial testimonies, and get recognition.
    Double the viewers weekly than the breaking bad finale.
    CrackerBarrel supported A&E, until they came under fire, now they 'support Phil'. Never going to buy their products again if I can help it.
    He wasn't even saying anything untrue, nor attacking anyone.

Society.

7. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    The History channel shows DD over here so I'll be interested to see if there's any reaction from them or if anyone kicks up a fuss about Robertson being on it.