1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News So is this the usual N. Korean blah de blah?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Typhoon, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Typhoon

Typhoon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
  2. biggayguy

It sounds like something they would do to keep people terrorized. In the bible some rulers got fed to dogs. Perhaps that's where they got the idea.

3. sam the man

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    They rely so much on media manipulation I wouldn't be at all surprised if this was fabricated. There's a perception around that KJU is trying to shore up his position safe from competition, so this story is likely just something to keep all his other competitors' heads down.

On the other hand, they might have used public execution for that same purpose.

4. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not to say that it COULDN'T have happened, but I don't think I'll be taking any of my news fresh from papers controlled by the Chinese government...there track record isn't exactly great...

5. Beware Of You

Its Kim-John-Un's way of showing how he is is control of the country, by making him own uncle publicly fall from grace makes it look like he is in control absolutely.

Personally I think NK will collapse soon, even the PRC is growing weary of them. I read that the USA, China and South Korea have had secret meetings to decided what to do when the regime collapses

6. sam the man

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    They haven't helped their relations with China by killing of the main admirer of Chinese policy in the regime, that's for sure.

7. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It's a warning to anyone else that would think of attempting what Thaek was accused of, it also further solidifies Kim Wrong Un (that's intentional) position as king of all he surveys.

The odds of the regime being overthrown are slimmer than your average Korean boyband. Any potential revolution would be looking at taking on the establishment and the military, neither of which are going to go against Wrong Un. Not out of loyalty to him but the fact that they know if the current regime comes down their lives of relative privilege go along with it. So it's in the best interests of the elite and the military to keep the state alive rather than go for a change of leadership or even unification with the south. That's not to say that they believe the domestic propaganda being spouted (it's a cross between fascism and Stalinism) either because they will have limited access to the outside world either via the interweb or having to allowed to make trips outside the country.

The domestic propaganda is also likely to be having an effect. The vast majority of people have next to no knowledge of the outside world and they're bombarded with these messages about racial purity, the fact that we're living in a shithole, that we're in constant fear of the North Korean state (US food aid during the famine was described as US tribute rather than aid) and that we all greatly admire the Kim dynasty. Because they've got no real way of getting an alternative view, unless they're desperate to get in front of a firing squad, they believe the propaganda. That's not to say that western influences aren't getting through, there's smuggling operations going on involving USB keys and Yarred TV shows & films including many from the south, but it's still in the shadow of that propaganda.

The country as a whole is Pandora's box. If the regime was on the brink of destruction there's every chance Wrong Un might just fire everything he can at the South, possibly Japan and US bases in the area as a last vindictive swipe. Hell how would people in the North react when they find out that we're living in relative luxury while they've been living in the gutter, how will they react to American soldiers turning up with the intentions of making friends with the locals and how will we react when we find out everything that was going on in the North's gulag.

Probably won't learn any lessons from it...Again.

#7 GeeLee, Jan 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  8. Aldrick

This is more-or-less the reason I take what is written in the state controlled Chinese papers with a grain of salt. China has a reason to push their own agenda regarding what is happening in North Korea. However, at the same time I wouldn't put it past the North to act in this manner as an intimidation tactic.

I am reminded of some of the accounts I read of gay men being tortured and executed in Concentration Camps in Nazi Germany. In one account they used a pack of starved dogs to attack gays they'd stripped naked, and put metal buckets over their heads to amplify their screams.

So, I at least know this method of execution is possible.

9. Hexagon

How pleasant. Obviously I'm wary of how true this might be. But really, thats horrible.

10. Beware Of You

I can't imagine how much of a horrible fate that would be, it would be slow and painful.

At least with a firing squad as long as their shots are decent it would be instantaneous and painless

11. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's always dubious that any news coming from North Korea will be accurate, be it Western or state-released, but this is really ridiculous. I'm willing to believe that the government has tens or hundreds of thousands of political prisoners and a police-state, but execution by ravenous dogs sounds a bit too theatrical even for North Korea.

If it is a genuine report, then it's horrific and disgusting, but I'll never believe any news on/from North Korea at face-value.

12. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    If it had come out of the South Korean Intelligence or media then I'd be sceptical, very sceptical. But the fact that it's come out of a pro Beijing Hong Kong newspaper and presumably got past the censors makes me wonder if there's a kernel of truth to it.

Then again Beijing may think it's too fantastical to believe and that's why they let it through. I would like to know the paper's source(s) for the story though.

13. ouji

ouji Guest

It may not have happened, but given the fact this is North Korea we are talking about I wouldn't be surprised about anything I hear. Watch the documentary on youtube or netflix about Shin Dong Hyuk or read the book. It details his life of being born into a prison camp where he is starved, burned, tortured etc. He saw his mother and brother get executed. He saw a small child get beaten to death because she didn't do her homework. The guy who beat the little girl got away scot free. The guards can kill whoever they please with no repercussions. The guards would tie people up from their hands and feet and use beatings, and fire to extract confessions. They basically roasted him over a fire. He still bears his burns and scars today. His only crime was that his grandfather was a political prisoner and so three generations were rounded up and sent to a camp for the rest of their lives. He escaped in his twenties. He is the only known person ever to be born into camp 14 and escape alive. Type in starving girl in North Korea. There are people over there eating grass and tree bark to survive. Back to my point: So the fact that they used dogs to kill someone he thought was a traitor would not be too far fetched. Their human rights violations are atrocious.

14. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It's less a human rights record, more a charge sheet.

Also Shin Dong Hyuk's book is Escape from Camp 14 and I highly recommend it, also Aquariums of Pyongyang for more prison camp related evil.

15. Saint Otaku

This news story got me on a Kim Jong Un meme search. (;_; ) I feel so ashamed.