1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News nightclub fire in seattle

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by sldanlm, Jan 3, 2014.

1. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
  2. Aldrick

Christopher Bostick & Mike Casey = Heroes.

I agree with him, it was clearly a planned act of terrorism on the gay community of Seattle, and the larger LGBT community as a whole. I hope they catch the bastard who attempted to kill everyone in the club.

3. insomniak

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    This is so sad. I'm originally from very near to there. Seattle will definately pull together in support...the kind of place it is. :slight_smile:

4. Sitri

I will be honest, while reading the article I wondered why this was LGBT news. They didn't mention it was a gay nightclub until the very end, and only to point out thelikely motives of the arsonist. I like that. It was a nightclub first, and a nightclub with a fire second, which happened to cater to the LGBT community.

Or I could have read the title.

5. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is shocking. The metro Seattle area is typically liberal, especially in town, and this sort of thing hasn't happened before, but I'm not sure. That area is sort of like Seattle's Castro district. I hope they deal harshly with the troublemakers.

6. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Wow, what an awful thing to do. Disgusting. Thankfully we had some heroes leap into action and prevent this attempted act of mass-murder from succeeding. But the scum who did this is still out there, and there are plenty more just like this scum. As LGBTQ folk continue to win rights and increased acceptance in society, the hateful minority will only get more and more enraged and violent out of desperation.

However the fact that this occurred in a gay neighborhood in a liberal city shouldn't be that surprising. Homophobes unfortunately are not stationary statues incapable of movement. They can travel great distances to anywhere in the world, and if they're looking for fags to bash, they know exactly where to go to find them- gayborhoods in liberal, accepting cities.

Just like when that crazy murderous homophobe here in NYC knew to go to the Village to find a gay man to shoot dead.

Even in the most gay-accepting city, there will be a small minority of hatemongers, and if not, well those hatemongers from out in the sticks can drive their pickup trucks into that city to go set a gay nightclub on fire to try to murder lots of queers and to terrorize the gay community.

7. blueberrymuffin

^Yes that's why i'm a proponent of building city walls again.

Kinda hoping they bring back burning at the stake when they catch this evil little shit.

8. Avi123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Seattle is liberal, but Washington state has a lot of nut jobs who are resentful of the city folk controlling their state and legalizing gay marriage (ie. my extended family)

9. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm glad I didn't read that story until after I went out new years eve, although the place I went to then (and am going tonight if a friend ever gets over here) has security and cameras.

10. DMark69

That was the first gay club I ever went to. I was in the Army at Ft Lewis, and deep in the closet then, still under DADT.

The scarier thing though is that it looks like a copycat of the Upstairs Lounge fire in New Orleans 41 years ago. That fire is still the deadliest attack on the gay community in the US ever.

UpStairs Lounge arson attack - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

11. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The far flung parts of the metro area are nowhere as liberal as the city itself.