1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News More news from friend Pope Francis

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Randy, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Let me preface this by saying I know most of you aren't Catholic so some of you won't really care what he said and I respect that.

Furthermore, he added that the Church is big enough heterosexuals and homosexuals, pro-life and pro-choice, & conservatives and liberals.

So, taking this in, do y'all believe that some of the older generations will still use the threat of Hell to try and "correct" our behavior?
    Moreover, I wonder what the WBC thinks of this.

2. monotone

Could you link the source?

3. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  4. PrinceOfAvalon

Missouri, U.S.A.... in a town no one knows of lol
    Thats depressing... I was reading that comment and was seriously taken back at how breakthrough-like it was...

Oh well...

Guess were all still going to a literal hell :3

5. AlamoCity

I actually just saw a video by DepFox "GayFamilyValues" youtube channel and he mentioned this quote. I was suspicious and looked it up and saw it was a hoax. Too bad, because those words are actually close to my beliefs of Hell.

I can't see God that, to quote The West Wing, "will have doled out five thousand dollars worth of punishment for a fifty buck crime."

6. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As a cradle Catholic, this sounded totally bogus. I think people need to be realistic about Pope Francis and what he can achieve or even wants to achieve. You don't get to be Pope, let alone a Cardinal or Bishop, by advocating upending longstanding dogmas and traditions.

7. blueberrymuffin

Yeah i don't ever see this happening since it would be a form of suicide for the church. How long would their grip last if it can't scare people into conforming? Because that's pretty much why concept of hell even exists.

8. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

Wasn't that what the religious nut one eyed woman thought in the movie "Paul" ? :lol:

Sadly, if I'd bought into everything my parents church put out, I would've ended up
    just like that woman. My mother still thinks my soul is going to hell, she just occasionally cries about it instead of getting angry with me.

9. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Eh... it's not necessarily THAT far out of the realm of the possible. Catholic teachings do allow for people to believe hell is empty or that unbelievers may still be saved.
    And biblical literalism hasn't been insisted on since ages now.
    Things may be different in the US but I can't remember any priest, bishop or cardinal around here threatening people with hell or insisting adam and Eve were real in my lifetime...

So, maybe the Pope didn't say it like that, but I hold hope it will yet become an accepted stance eventually anyway.