1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Evander Holyfield Says Homosexuality is "Like a handicap"

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by BryanM, Jan 5, 2014.

1. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Full story here: Evander Holyfield: Homosexuality is like a ‘handicap,’ it ‘ain’t normal’ – LGBTQ Nation

You know what else is a disability Evander? Getting your ear bit off by Mike Tyson.

[YOUTUBE]xlIOqypvT-g[/YOUTUBE]

Also, Orlando Cruz (openly gay boxer) is pretty badass.

[YOUTUBE]_3vhleZ5mkU[/YOUTUBE]

#1 BryanM, Jan 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  2. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It's a disease well i tried every damn thing to get cured praying , God knows I've done some crap i'm not proud of . He can go to hell for I care i'm glad his ass is getting kicked out

3. Bibliophile

Stocking how does your statement not present a duel standard? Would you say the same thing if they got kicked out off the show for supporting gay rights? If not how can you claim to be for free speech if you actually do claim to be fore it?

Holyfield is a douche bag that I hope gets called out by an openly gay boxer to the ring for a little education. I personally will never buy anything he endorses and will gladly let its owner know that. However I will not cheer the loss of his job because of his opinion no matter how big of a dbag I think he is.

4. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Maybe i was a little mean on that one i let my anger get ahead of me :grin:

5. Bibliophile

We all do it from time to time. Frankly if I was finished with my training in Krav Maga and p90x I would call the dbag to the ring myself to let him fight my "handicap" but we must be mindful that there is either freedom of life and expression for all or none of us are free. Its a very hard line to be objective about and its always in danger. Vigilance is the price of liberty.

6. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I always forget about that line .

7. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Being for or against basic rights and dignity for all human beings are not equally valid viewpoints. Sorry. This hateful douche should be kicked off the show.

8. Bibliophile

Sadly most people do. If I didnt serve in the military and have a LONG hard sit down with myself about what the oath I took really meant I might forget it myself. But after raising your right hand and taking that oath its not an option if you want to really uphold it and honorably serve the people of the USA because that in my opinion is what all military men and women ought to be mindful of.

---------- Post added 5th Jan 2014 at 10:22 PM ----------

Equally valid in whos mind? What makes them valid and who decides it? What line does censorship cross and who controls it? Your view just sets you up for future abuse should the tides of public opinion turn against you.

9. blueberrymuffin

Here i thought that having one ear intact would be a handicap...

Am i supposed to put much stock into the opinions of a neanderthal whose cranium has taken a pounding over the years?

This shouldn't be a surprise given how he reacted when another neanderthal boxer suggested he was gay on ESPN interview. In other words it's just like A&E's phony "sympathy and support for LGBT" - they knew very well before they put his dumbass on TV.

So why the hell did they air these remarks? I'm assuming they don't show it live. Hate speech is actually illegal in UK i believe.

10. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Equally valid in whos mind? What makes them valid and who decides it? What line does censorship cross and who controls it? Your view just sets you up for future abuse should the tides of public opinion turn against you.[/QUOTE]

Favoring the rights and dignity of all human beings is the objectively correct and only acceptable viewpoint. Opposing equal rights and dignity is an objectively wrong and evil viewpoint that should be shunned in any and every way possible.

11. Bibliophile

Favoring the rights and dignity of all human beings is the objectively correct and only acceptable viewpoint. Opposing equal rights and dignity is an objectively wrong and evil viewpoint that should be shunned in any and every way possible.[/QUOTE]

Yes shunned by PEOPLE not corporations unless you favor them doing it to you if they think your view is not PC enough. If we seek to destroy that which offends us we only set ourselves up to be cut by the same double edged sword if we some how become a minority. One does not have to agree with what he said to defend his right to say it outside of his job. He was asked his opinion in an interview and now he should lose his job for being honest? Hey do you have a job? Do you like right wing religious people? If you answer no is it right to seek you being fired? My statement here is that we must be VERY careful about censorship and attacking unpopular views unless we wish to find ourselves in the same boat when the fickle tide of public opinion turns against us.

12. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian

13. Daydream Harp

UK; not US; we have different views on Liberty and stuff in Europe. Also I don't think everyone here is in the military, so we obviously have different viewpoints on a lot of things between those who are/have been and those who haven't.

Also it's the full rights of the TV companies for kicking off people making controversial statements in shows that have nothing to do with them, as it not only hurts them as a company but also insults their audience.

14. Bibliophile

Umm yes I am aware that liberty doesnt functionally exist in most of the EU. I am also aware that most people that have not lost liberty or taken any risks for in via military service dont value it. However it doesnt make censorship right. Also he didnt make the comment ON the show. Please read the actual original post please it was made OFF the show in an interview where he as asked for his opinion. Thus this would be like your job firing you for a post you made here or on Facebook that it didnt like. I am betting you would fight that tooth and nail but hey this is cool because you dont agree with it right?

15. Daydream Harp

Umm yeah the article clearly states he said this "on air", aka. on the show talking to a housemate (a contestant in Big Brother). Also we have Liberty in Europe... we just see it more as a casual "good to have" thing than "I would rather die than have someone take away my right to say Coke is better than Pepsi". You would know that if you had been outside of US military bases.

16. Bibliophile

Well I look like a totall idiot as I misread the article. So for that point to you and the show has the right to do as it pleases. Though on moral grounds I still disagree with it even if it is legal. This is only because it is a reality show in which you are in what amounts to your home.
    However no Europe does not have liberty as I have made a study of it from greek city states all the way through the formation of my own country. There are three things throughout history every free man ( I use man as in mankind here though at times it sadly did only apply to the male gender) have been able to do. First speak freely among his peers without losing property or facing jail time: your hate speech laws preclude that from being true, the right to own the best personal arms to defend your land: EU's insane weapons laws preclude this, and the right to defend ones home and body: EU is notoriously against the right to self defense and its most often innocent until proven guilty when it comes to protecting your land or body.
    I have been to over ten different countries all in the east Asia area. Frankly I lived off of base while I was stationed in Japan so I dont totally know European culture but I know enough people from the EU and have seen enough of the EU's laws on things to speak with relative competence.

17. Daydream Harp

I am pretty sure that is the American and not universal definition of Liberty, but alright then I am actually glad we don't have so called Liberty here, because we don't need the guns here and having laws against hate speech is something that is not all that bad (besides this is extremely lenient when people are still allowed to have "all Muslims are terrorists" protests all over Europe, so it's barely there to begin with). Also EU is not the same thing as Europe, Norway is not a part of the EU but is a part of Europe.

18. Bibliophile

Please look at history. Those are things that I have found in EVERY culture that valued freedom. Those are three items ive found from the Spartan city state, to the free nobles of Europe, on to my own countries formation. Id agree maybe Norway doesnt need guns but freedom isnt about need. Its about being free to make the choice.

19. Ben

Ben

Mm just to clear it up, as I did see this last night, what he said was put on air (i.e. not censored) and the actual response of the show seemed reasonable. The warning they gave was something along the lines of 'we cannot condone the use of language which will offend a large proportion of our viewers, so this is a warning'. That's it. He wasn't actually kicked off the show, and the only people who think he should be seem to be randoms from the street and TV critics, not the production company.

I don't think the actual circumstances lend themselves to a discussion about a lack of liberty in the UK.

20. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I never thought a guy who made a living getting punched in the head would ever say something monumentally stupid and pig ignorant.