1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News The "Gayest" City In the U.S According to the Advocate

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by itsonlyrelative, Jan 7, 2014.

1. itsonlyrelative

Yay way to go DC!:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

2. biggayguy

San Francisco must be fighting mad!:tantrum::roflmao:

3. itsonlyrelative

Oh I bet they will come back with a fury next year. Until then I'm letting my hometown pride roar :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:frowning2:!!)

4. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Huh, that's odd! I work just outside the DC beltway, but DC has never struck me as a very 'gay' city...I mean, there's no longer as visible of a 'gay' neighborhood as there used to be around DuPont Circle/Adams Morgan; no more gay bookstore (Lambda Rising); it seems like the gentrification/yuppification has chased a lot of quirky people away. I do think it is a gay friendly city, but no more so than many others. I find places like Baltimore, that are not quite as expensive, have a bit more of a dynamic LGBT culture; my problem with DC and SF is that you pretty much almost have to be making 6 figures to live there, and that limits diversity in other ways.

I think this area in general tends to be very accepting, from DC to New England...it's hard for me to single out just one city along the NE coast.

#4 HuskyPup, Jan 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  5. Sitri

My hometown too! Well sort of. Technically I lived in Alexandria, and only for the first ten months of my life.

6. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I find these studies sort of stupid, in a way. It's like apples and oranges when you evaluate DC and Atlanta alongside Pasadena (L.A.) and Cambridge (Boston). I wish they'd stick to metro areas or major cities. I think the Wiki population study is more representative - I think SF, Seattle, Boston, Minneapolis, and Atlanta are the highest. NY and LA have higher numbers, but not on a percentage basis.

Check "by city" - 1 out of 6 people in SF and Seattle are GLBT. I could see SF. I didn't realize Seattle was that high. In the other 3 of the 5 (Boston, Atlanta, and Minneapolis), it's about 1 in 8 people.

LGBT demographics of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BTW, for the totally straight guys looking for women in these cities, it is reported that it is not any easier. These towns are full of independent, entrepreneurial career types and tend to be more expensive, so people proceed cautiously for LT matters.

Also, Tacoma WA picking up that title last year? Seriously?

#6 Tightrope, Jan 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  7. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe I should move to some ghost town, as then some place you've never heard of would be the gayest city in America, with 100% of its population of 1 being gay.

8. Girishbbe

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    You need more then one person to be a city. You would be the gayest hamlet in America. Not anywhere as cool a title. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

9. Zam

Zam

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Um... San F... no?

10. Aldrick

This list shouldn't be taken seriously. Here are the criteria they used.

11. Girishbbe

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    That is a odd odd set of criteria. Why lesbian households and not gay households? Are women's collages gayer then normal collages? The Jonas brothers make someplace more gay by performing?

12. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What a stupid list of criteria. I've always thought that the Advocate caters to this weird gay stereotype, as if all gay men are supposed to like Lady Gaga, Mariah Carey and the like. Well, I think their music is overly commercial tripe...and I don't care for gay bars. Though the Advocate may have become more diverse over time, it's always had this commodified aspect, this aspect of how gay men are 'supposed' to be; a neat set of stereotypes in which to place them. As a teen, growing up, I was really saddened when I first saw it, as it confirmed all my worst fears about gay stereotypes, and how little hope I felt I had in finding anyone who didn't fit the mold...and it still manages to do that, but not as bad as in the late 1980s. But it does remind me that I feel pretty alienated from the mainstream 'gay' community.