1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Police shoot and kill Schizophrenic teen in parents' home

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by AwesomGaytheist, Jan 8, 2014.

1. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    18-year-old Keith Vidal had a Schizophrenic episode, and all his parents wanted was an officer to help subdue him to get him to a hospital. Instead, 1 minute and 10 seconds after three officers arrived on scene in Boiling Springs Lake, North Carolina, one of the officers said, "We don't have time for this," and shot and killed the teen, according to the family, after he'd already been subdued.

"There was no reason to shoot this kid," Vidal's stepfather, Mark Wilsey, told a local TV station. "They killed my son in cold blood. We called for help, and they killed my son."

The North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation is looking into the shooting, and local prosecutor Jon David was quoted as saying to the Wilmington Star-News, "I think that we can certainly understand why this family is upset right now. They just lost a child, and certainly my thoughts and prayers are with them. But what they want from this office today is justice, and I intend to give them exactly that." He did add that it's too early to determine what exactly happened. "(The investigation will) go wherever the truth leads in this case. The public deserves to have a process put in place that will lead to the most just resolution."

So far, one officer has been placed on paid administrative leave, pending the investigation. More updates soon to come.

Keith Vidal: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | HEAVY

2. Hexagon

Fuck. That is evil.

3. Mhin

Can't believe a police officer did this :frowning2:

4. Hexagon

I can. I've seen or heard of from family/friends a number of police-related oppression, discrimination, and atrocities. They aren't exactly on my list of most trusted. In fact, they're close enough to 'tabloid journalist' and 'politician'.

5. SongshiQuan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Jesus Christ....i hope that their home had a security camera.....it's like, do you gotta get the cell-phone cam out every time you call 911?

6. musicgirl18

This is so horrible, and I can't even imagine how the parents are feeling. That a police officer did this, it's incomprehensible to me. I really hope those police officers get what they deserve. :frowning2: That they did this in front of the parents, and while the kid was subdued is even worse. These police officers give a bad name to law officers everywhere.

#6 musicgirl18, Jan 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  7. Ticklish Fish

I'm not too familiar with schizophrenia, but shouldn't you call the doctor instead?

8. Daydream Harp

I am usually against the death penalty, but fuck, if that police officer gets it I would be genuinely glad. As Hexagon said, that is straight up evil.

9. man dolen

Poor parents, I can't imagine how they feel...you call for help, and something like this happens.

10. Aldrick

This is why I think front line officers should never be allowed to have weapons. Those higher ranked than the front line officers could be issued weapons after specialized training and a demonstrated need for one. For legitimate serious situations in which deadly force has to be used, there is always the option to take cover and call for back up from a specialized firearms unit.

This type of situation has worked well for the British Police.

We know from experience already that having armed police officers does not prevent them from being killed or murdered in a legitimately dangerous situation. We also know from experience, this story being just another example, that putting a weapon in someones hand and expecting them to use it wisely in a stressful situation leads to innocent citizens being murdered. For every police officer killed in the line of duty there are many more innocent citizens murdered because an officer reacted poorly in a situation.

Expecting humans to react rationally in a stressful situation, filled with uncertainty and anxiety is frankly stupid. It is not in human nature to act that way.

Aside from that, having access to weapons changes the dynamic of a situation. The police exist to serve the public, not keep them in line like prison guards. It's the difference between policing through consent vs policing through force.

11. Minx

Does the shooting officer have mental health issues? :confused: Because that sounds beyond extreme for any dirty cop.

Like... wtf? :/

12. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Jesus Christ. I hope the police involved are imprisoned for life.

But no, they'll get off lightly as police always do.

13. Techno Kid

Is it sad that I'm not surprised one bit by this? :frowning2:

14. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The problem we have in this country is authority figures who are abusing their power causing a major distrust in government and the police. We need laws that protect our civil liberties and start putting these police officers in prison for life for violation our civil rights. The media also demeans people with mental illness such as the interpreter for Mandela's funeral. It's time to bring the rights back to the people.

15. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How many more people have to be killed like this before we realize that there is nothing wring with people with mental issues. They tasked him for gods sake, most tasers take down most people if they were a threat at all.

16. sysreq

17. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What strikes me here is how trigger-happy and violent this county is. From police to criminals to just in general, America is a country increasingly immune to to violence, and increasingly addicted to using guns without thinking, or for no real reason.

18. Bibliophile

Re: Police tase, shoot mentally ill boy.

This sort of thing makes me ill. Its why I no longer trust cops. There was NO need for this. I spent 5 years doing security among other things while on my ship. This was a totally controlled situation from all news reports and they had no reason to shoot the boy. This is just sick

19. Girishbbe

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    This is honestly to vile to believe. For an officer to simply murder someone like that, it's horrible.

20. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Re: Police tase, shoot mentally ill boy.

Calling the cops was the big mistake that ended in the murder of this innocent young boy. (Though of course cops will never be prosecuted for the many murders they commit on a daily basis. At best they'll be "suspended", with pay" for a day or two, maybe even a week. Cops are above the law.)

Police are NOT trained professionals. Take your average random idiot (with below average IQ) off the street, give him a badge and a gun, and he becomes an extremely dangerous threat to society.

I would never call 911 for the police except in the most extreme of circumstances. The consequences could be deadly- and not just for the person whose actions caused the cops to be called.