1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News U.S to Recognize Utah Same-Sex Marriages Despite State Stance

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by itsonlyrelative, Jan 10, 2014.

1. itsonlyrelative

2. SongshiQuan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The weird thing is I have seen people up in arms about this on other message boards. "State's Rights!!" and all that jazz. However, what they don't seem to realize is that the stay and pending appeals case deals with the constitutionality of the ban on gay marriages, not the licenses themselves. Since DOMA Sec. 3 is gone, the precedent of the feds recognizing same-sex marriages regardless of state recognition is there. Because of the judicial review, technically Holder could order the DOJ to wait for the appellate court's decision but why would he? There are wedded gay couples in LA who possess CA licenses and they get federal benefits. Regardless, in the end even if the courts rule against us in UT these marriages wouldn't be retroactively invalidated.

3. Incognito10

I find myself very pleased with how the federal government truly seems to standing up for marriage equality, the best they can in the face of all the (scary) opposition. I was really appalled at some states wanting to deny federal benefits of marriage from the federal level simply because the state did not recognize the marriage. If you're a governor, it seems like a no-brainer, from an economical standpoint, to allow your citizens to thrive from all the various benefits a marriage can offer. I live in a state where same sex marriage is recognized and I was married back in 2010. Just yesterday I was thinking a hypothetical situation: "what if I were offered an attractive job offer in another state that didn't recognize my marriage?" My conclusion is I would not take it...why would I move my husband and I some place where we, and any children we adopt, to a place where we wouldn't be a family? It's sad certain states just don't see how they are negatively affecting themselves, their image and economy.

4. Ticklish Fish

governor's morality issue> money perhaps?

5. Incognito10

Perhaps. I suppose they are going to pander to what ever the majority of the citizens who elected them would want; however, they are also responsible for the fiscal integrity of their state, so it is difficult to understand why they want to be a "poor" state.