1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Church wants vote on gay ban in Russia

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by burg, Jan 10, 2014.

1. burg

Church wants vote on gay ban in Russia | SBS News

(Russia's powerful Orthodox Church proposed Friday a referendum on banning gay relations in the face of Western pressure over human rights ahead of next month's Winter Olympics in Sochi.

The Church's abrupt intervention came amid a growing debate over whether the Kremlin should mount a firmer defence of traditional values that many in the overwhelmingly conservative country view as coming under attack from Europe and the United States.)

sadly i think russia will get a lot worse for lgbt people in russia after sochi.i hope im wrong but yea .

2. blueberrymuffin

There goes any possible defense for having the olympics there. It's nothing but inhumane complicity.

3. Aldrick

If anyone believes that Russia isn't going to get much worse for LGBT people after the Olympics they are fooling themselves. Right now, it's only the fact that the public eye is on Russia as a result of the Olympics that they're holding back. Once the attention of the international community has shifted, all hell is going to break loose.

What we need to start doing right now is pressuring pro-LGBT governments to begin offering asylum for LGBT people fleeing countries that persecute us.

I honestly wouldn't be shocked to see Russia within the next two or three years, have a law identical to the one in Uganda. A law that says not only is it illegal to be gay, but it's also illegal to shelter anyone who is gay by not reporting them to the authorities. LGBT people will be thrown into "prison camps" - does that sound familiar to anyone? :frowning2:

4. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Isn't this how holocausts start?

5. 70th City

It sounds like LGBT people will be living in a neo-Stalinist Russia once the Olympics are over. The happiness that usually surrounds the Olympics cannot hide the malevolence that is about to erupt in the country.

6. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Stalin criminalized homosexuality, seems like Putin's backers want him to as well... Putin is a glorified dictator with a seat in the UN. If you're gay and live in Russia, I'd try to leave ASAP.

7. ember

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's sad that we're living in this day and age, the Information Age! and yet most people don't even know what's happening to LGBT in Russia, or in Uganda, or in Iran.

8. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    This is why i don't go to church anymore and I'm not watching the Olympics if it's in Russia

9. biggayguy

They used to say in the Soviet Union that being gay was a mental disorder and lock people up in mental hospitals. I guess many there still feel that way.

Billie Jean King is going with the US Tennis team. I wonder if there are things going on behind the scenes. Maybe there's some diplomatic pressure on Russia? This could be like the Olympics held in Hitler's Germany before WW II.

10. burg

when sochi fails we know whos gona get the blame.

11. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How many people have to die before people see? This is scary. :,(
    I don't know what else to say.

12. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Vitaly Milanov and the Orthodox Church clearly :eusa_liar

13. Adi

Adi

Out Status:
    A few people
    Religion shows its true face once again.

14. Dani9

Honestly(i suck at politics, to make it clear), everybody says that it'd only get much worse ... I don't think so. Actually a lot of youngsters fully accept the LGBT thing and a lot of [intelligent] people are totally positive about it... But those who rule the country belong to the elder generation, and they are the ones who are quite conservative and they are the ones who got their prejudice blinds on their minds. Because that's what their parents told them. And that was like 100 years ago, but they refuse to change their opinion, cause guess what, it's "not cool"... And if you don't hate gays&others you're not a "man", not cool. Ok this is stupid we know that. Ppl are caught up a lot in believing that the false image of what the real man looks like is true, somehow a brutal homophobic is considered cool & respectful, while being gay is a shame... And what those self-assured "real men" do is lgbt-bashing.

Yet what do you want from the church... What on earth could be more conservative than religion. All of them. Why would it change in an instant, even though science says it's natural, science has had no authority for the church ever.
    And so now those elders try to maintain their outdated confessions and kind of fight against that "immorality". Bullshit!

Long story short, as the yonger generation(mine one) grows older and spreads into the government, then slowly becomes to dominate, that's when i believe it'd get better. Now everybody who's about my age are just as open minded about it as people are in the other countries. So... Just gotta wait till they get to rule the country.

What about anti-gay laws... Basically, gays can pretty much have no fear unless it gets public. Imo that is supposed to hide us away from children so they won't get "spoiled" and think it's normal & okay & it happens.... As if then they won't grow up and become gays/trans etc, lol. Bullshit, regarding that it's defined by hormones during the embryo development..
    Otherwise we still can live, date & stuff quite legitimately, but... kind of stuffed back in our closet. Disgusting outrageous discrimination but...

Well. Once again, i'm not even educated enough to have any proper opinion on politics, but i feel like my generation finally got it right, so when they grow up everything will be fixed, that's my theory of how it'll work out... Because if it won't... I don't even know, how's that possible, don't believe ppl can even be that sick, i mean wtf what's wrong with them:***:

#14 Dani9, Jan 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  15. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The problem is that the Russian Orthodox Church is not independent from the government, which is sad because the church was violently suppressed during the Soviet era and should know how important it is to avoid state interference.

16. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It was a literally a ministry of the Russian Empire before that, so they also know how to milk the state/become an integral part of it. It's less a church than a business enterprise and a club of the Russian élite.

I'm pretty sure a lot of the junior members of the clergy in Russia are usually more liberal; the Patriarchs and all the senior management are largely corrupt bastards with their hands in the till and their lobbyists in the Kremlin. Anyone remember the scandal when Patriarch Kirill had a picture of him with his thirty thousand dollar watch photoshopped out? Yeah, hypocritical bastards the lot of them.

17. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Who knows? It might somewhat backfire on them, making some on-the-fence homophobes see how revolting the position is.

Until then I have written Russia off my list of vacation destinations.

18. KWDBM

This is sad. And frustrating. And while we have plenty of LGBTQ problems here in the USA, I would love to invite all Russians that identify as such to come over here, if I had that power. At least it's not *that* bad here, not yet anyways.

The article, or the church spokesman, seems to make a contradiction, though.

(bolding mine)

Last time I checked, more then a third does not equal "the majority".

Not that any of that actually matters in regards to what Russia will do.

19. Zam

Zam

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    holocaust 2.0 is ready for release,it will make its introduction in Russia,and it will be on the market for other countries with citizens that are too dumb to realize what they are buyng

20. SaudadeCoimbra

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Many of my friends are Russian and they say that the majority of Russians don't really feel to strongly about homosexuality either way. The church always wants to ban homosexuality in every country, so this isn't that shocking.