1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Va. Gov. McAuliffe's First Executive Order

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by BryanM, Jan 11, 2014.

1. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Full story here: McAuliffe signs executive order prohibiting discrimination against LGBT state workers – LGBTQ Nation

Full executive order: Governor

Great move, Mr. Governor!

2. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ken Cucinelli must be boiling in his own juices, just about now!

I'm SO happy the Republicans lost in the 3 VA state-wide races...I can't say it enough, it seems. Had they won, there would have been some pretty ugly new legislation...now, we have a governor to block things from getting out of hand. I'm really happy to see this development, hopefully, this will foreshadow even better things to come.

3. AKTodd

What a lovely mental picture to snuggle into bed with:slight_smile: Thank you:thumbsup:

But wait, it (hopefully) gets better:

The new VA Lt. Governor is Ralph Northram, who was a state senator before running for the AG position. Since he's changing jobs, VA had a special election to fill his seat. Currently the state senate is evenly split between the Democrats and the Republicans with the Lt. Gov being the tie breaking vote. If the Repubs picked up Northrams vacant seat the balance of power would shift. But...

As of today, it looks like the Democratic candidate Lynwood Lewis won the election (by 10 whole votes) and the post election confirmation of votes (revised win = 11 votes). Not sure if there's going to be a recount yet (the loser has 10 days to ask for one), but VA uses all electronic voting so a recount is not likely to change much (look at the number the computer gives you again, basically).

In a nutshell, it looks like the odds are leaning toward the balance of power remaining in the Dems favor. :grin:

Keeping fingers crossed,

Todd

4. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I also read that if the Legislature won't pull its head out of its ass and establish the Health Insurance Exchange and expand Medicaid, Terry McAuliffe will do it all by himself with an executive order. Go T-Mac go!