1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Oklahoma judge rules gay marriage ban unconstitutional

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Skaros, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
  2. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unfortunately the ruling is stayed pending appeal, so marriages may not take place anytime soon. But score another one for the good guys!!!

3. Sarcastic Luck

I...What? Where's the hell fire and brimstone? And why isn't hell frozen over?

4. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Let the walls continue to crumble. :sunglasses:

5. SongshiQuan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Although it sucks for the moment I think it is ultimately an okay( not great) thing that the ruling was stayed because it helps to fast track the inevitable appeals process. Helping bigots lose faster is a good thing.

6. Sarcastic Luck

The fact that this ruling was even made is a shock and an insanely good thing.

Oklahoma is the sort of place where small towns have no less than three churches and I wish I was exaggerating. The state is entirely red and if you state that you're anything except southern baptist, there's a good chance someone will try and convert you.

7. Sitri

That happened last Monday. Didn't you notice?

8. AlamoCity

Oh my, it seems Texas is soon getting surrounded by marriage equality :eusa_danc.

Also, it's pretty funny that now the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals will now have TWO cases of marriage equality before it. Pretty interesting how things will go.

9. Sarcastic Luck

Oh. I thought that was just a cold day in hell.

10. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    [​IMG]

11. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

Don't know where you're at but Tulsa and OKC and Stillwater and Norman are pretty accepting and liberal minded.

12. toffee96

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yaaaay!

There's still no way I'll be moving there but yaaaay for all current/future LGBTQ citizens!

13. Sarcastic Luck

Lmao. Tulsa sure as hell isn't.

14. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Let's hope they're the next one in line.

15. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

LOL, I find it hilarious that the two states that are all of a sudden seeing their marriage bans struck down as unconstitutional, Utah and Oklahoma...are arguably the two MOST conservative, anti-gay states in the USA.

In 2012, both Oklahoma and Utah had every single county vote for Mitt Romney over Barack Obama, most by mega-landslide margins. (The only other state that Romney totally swept was West Virginia, maybe they'll be next? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) Statewide Romney took 73% in Utah and 67% in Oklahoma. Oklahoma was literally the only state where Barack Obama failed to win a single county even in 2008. Actually the results were even the same back in 2004, when George W. Bush swept every county in Oklahoma.

In 2004, Oklahoma passed it's constitutional ban prohibiting all forms of same-sex unions with 76% of the vote (every county 70+%, many 80+% in favor of the ban).

In 2010, Oklahoma passed a ridiculous constitutional amendment banning "international and shariah law" with 70% of the vote, every county in favor- it was struck down by a court immediately for being blatantly ridiculous Islamophobic nutjobbery.

Oklahoma has been the most consistently, uniformly conservative state in the nation in the 21st century.

So it would indeed be a funny twist of irony were Oklahoma (and Utah) to become the next two states to join the marriage equality side, but hopefully we can welcome queer Okies and Utahns aboard soon. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

16. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This makes me really happy having been born and brought up in Oklahoma (and now living in Utah). I will agree a little with stridenttube. While as a whole the state seems very conservative, there are moderate and even liberal areas, usually in the bigger cities. I guess it really depends on where you live and work.

Ultimately, I have more faith in the younger generation like many of my [straight] friends from school, not just in Oklahoma but throughout the US. They will eventually push the whole country toward greater tolerance.

17. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is good news, and certainly ironic, as Rakkus has duly noted.

With both cases now moving to the tenth circuit, this makes me think the case(s) will be more likely to reach the Supreme Court. And I wonder who they'd rule...I have my worries.

I'd like to hear what some others think, if these cases reach SCOTUS...what do you think will happen?

18. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

While there are liberal, moderate, and conservative parts in every state....the liberal parts of Oklahoma appear to be very small and very far between.

Take a look at the 2008 election map, in the midst of that decisive liberal Democratic victory for Barack Obama, you can spot at least 2 liberal blue dots in even the most conservative of states...except Oklahoma, which went unanimously for John McCain. Oklahoma County, where Oklahoma City is, went 58% McCain, Tulsa County went 62% McCain. Both urban counties also voted 71% in favor of the anti-gay marriage constitutional amendment.

[​IMG]

So I think Oklahoma's reputation as the most uniformly conservative state in the nation is pretty well-supported by the data. I mean even the urban counties containing Oklahoma City and Tulsa went 71% for an extreme constitutional amendment enshrining anti-gay bigotry into the state constitution forever banning not only marriage equality but even civil unions.

Oklahoma Initiative: Question No. 724 (Gay Marriage Ban)

2008 Oklahoma Presidential Election Results

So if Oklahoma is forced by the courts to become the next state to legalize full marriage equality...it would indeed be an ironic twist of fate. :grin:

#18 Rakkaus, Jan 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  19. musicgirl18

Woo! Go Oklahoma! That's 17 now, or 18, counting Utah. But I'm not sure we can count Utah yet. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

20. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, I've seen you post the same thing about Oklahoma in multiple threads, and I'm just saying that as someone who lived there, though in a suburban area with a relatively higher ethnic diversity, there are definitely more than just "very small" pockets. One issue with the county map is that counties are not very accurate gauges of whether a given region is liberal or conservative because they don't reflect equal population densities.