1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Flat-earthers or just good Christians? Meet the gay converters

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Beware Of You, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Beware Of You

Urgh this women again

Why can't she take a hike

Flat-earthers or just good Christians? Meet the gay converters - UK Politics - UK - The Independent

2. nichison

The key word here is unwanted. Most kids and teens that go to ex gay therapy aren't there because they don't want to be gay, it's that their parents don't want them to be gay.

3. SongshiQuan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Even if it is unwanted by the person themselves, ex-gay therapy does nothing but harm. It's slightly less barbaric than ECT, but it still does nothing but decrease an individual's sense of self-worth.

4. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, these people try to make it look like change is possible when it in reality it is not. I went to one session, and it fucked up my self-image and self-worth for a few years. I cannot imagine what those that go through this long term go through..

5. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What's really sad is that such a bill would stand no chance at all of passing in the US, especially given house Republicans.

What's even sadder are how many of these youth conversion camps are actually in the US, often operating with little or no oversight, inflicting all manner of abuse.

Every day, I'm reminded why I can't support Republicans; it would like I was black, and supported the KKK. Why would a LGBT person vote to support their oppressors? I've never understood this.

6. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    If they could do this in my state and my mom new I was a lesbian she would send me there so fast but she can't do that . what she would do is call the church people make me go to church have them baptizes me and pray on me and then think i would turn straight force me to go to church , make the pastor that she's friends with come and tell me how being a lesbian is a sin , make me date men even bring men to the house force me to go out with them and make my life a living hell :icon_sad:

7. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The people who preach hate and call themselves christians are not christians. They are the ones that Jesus himself dislikes and railed against in the bible. The bible is the word of man and has been misused and mistranslated so many times to fit the needs of different groups of people. The original bible text does not condemn homosexuality at all and loves everyone as themselves. Those kind christians will die off as the the older generation dies off themselves. It is sad to say but sadly true.

8. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For me I didn't have to imagine. My former girlfriend gave me a very detailed description of what happened at a conversion therapy "camp" when she was "cured" and allowed to come back home. It make me sick to my stomach that something like that would be legal in the USA to do that to anybody against their will, much less 15 year olds, all in the name of religion.

It's 2014, and how many states is conversion therapy for minors illegal in so far? Is it two?

9. blueberrymuffin

ECT is not barbaric but an often life saving procedure for chronic depression.

If you gonna make such analogies, here's a few i can think of: "conversion therapy" is slightly less barbaric than castration, icewater baths, electric shock on alert people, exorcism, forced sex with prostitutes, isolation....oh wait, all of those things have comprised conversion therapy at some point or other, so never mind.

---------- Post added 17th Jan 2014 at 11:29 PM ----------

Think i sorta get it. If dems did the same for LGBT as repubs do against us, LGBT would support dems at the same level that blacks do (damn near 100%). Where are the constitutional amendments *for* gay marriage? I want to see 30 states legalize it from 2014-2016 just as 30 states banned it from 2004-2006. Won't happen because dems are too cowardly to undo voter bans.

Who do you think signed in DOMA and DADT? How did john kerry or even obama set themselves apart from their opponents on this until like a year ago? We've seen no leadership at all akin to the civil rights act, use of the national guard, and other bold moves in the 1960s-70s.

For most of my life, i've only seen begrudging tolerance from the "good guys." Therefore many LGBT just vote with their wallet, same as everyone else.

Now i would never vote repub even still, but i wouldn't vote for dems either just because they're "slightly less oppressive," so i vote 3rd party. But that's just me.

#9 blueberrymuffin, Jan 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  10. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

ECT should have never been used to try and cure homosexuality, but it is a valid treatment for some other conditions. It needs to stop being condemned like this, because that gives people false preconceptions about their options for treating conditions such as depression.