1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Article on gay Republican US House candidates

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by SemiCharmedLife, Jan 19, 2014.

1. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Saw this on Yahoo news: Yahoo!

I've got mixed feelings about their candidacies. On the one hand, my political views line up pretty consistently with the Democratic party (shocking!) and more Republicans in the House means more leadership positions for idiots like Louie Gohmert, Blake Farenthold, Michele Bachmann, and the like. On the other hand, it would be nice to see more LGBT representation in Congress in general, and it would be a sign of progress if an openly gay candidate can win a Republican primary.

Just putting this out there.

2. monotone

I'd support a straight Democrat over a gay Republican in almost all circumstances.

3. blueberrymuffin

Is he one of those self hating traitorous gays who vote against our rights? If so, hell nah. Innis and Tisei are even married though...I'm really stunned to see that. I mean look at the party's sick platform and how they outed one of their own on the house floor just for voting against "DOMA"

I don't generally find that politicians are to be looked up to. However, people should be able to pursue any career path, and not have to hide their sexuality. In that sense, it would do much good if they can succeed.

4. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Well, despite my general misgivings about gay Republicans, I wish them all the best in their attempts to challenge the existing order of Republicans being universally anti-gay.

Of course, this is in reference to out-of-the-closet gay Republicans state. Sen. Richard Tisei and his husband Dan Innis. I expect them to buck their party and vote in favor of gay rights.

If I lived in Tisei's district in Massachusetts, I might actually have voted for him over his corrupt Democratic opponent Tierney. (Of course in Massachusetts, a congressperson HAS to have a liberal record in order to be elected and re-elected, and that includes Republicans, so I would expect Tisei to be fairly liberal in Congress)

On the other hand I have ZERO tolerance for closeted gay Republicans (like Congressman Aaron Schock of Illinois) who consistently vote for the most anti-gay policies imaginable. People like Schock can go fuck themselves.

As a progressive, as a liberal, as a registered Democrat, in most cases I probably would still favor a straight Democrat who shared my views over a gay Republican who held conservative views. But as I mentioned, there are some unique circumstances where I would consider voting for a gay Republican.

5. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    A fellow LGBT Republican?
    [VOTING INTENSIFIES]

6. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That guy may be the dumbest person in Congress, which is saying a lot. His name says it all. As for Bachmann, she will be retiring, sadly.

Anyway, it's nice to see some fellow gay Republicans running for Congress.