1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Virginia Won’t Defend Gay Marriage Ban

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by HuskyPup, Jan 23, 2014.

1. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Finally, some good news!

This could easily put Virginia on the path to becoming the first southern state to allow gay marriage. What a huge difference it makes, now that Cucinellei and that shady Republican governor are out!

Full story here: Virginia Won’t Defend Gay Marriage Ban

2. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Awesome! The west and the east is getting the idea. Now just gotta bring the south and the north into the equation

3. GayTornado

Wait... what happened in Utah then?

4. Utah recently legalized marriage equality, but it's pending on appeal trials because the governor of Utah wasn't so happy about it. Utah has one of the most right-wing stances on marriage equality, so all of us were pretty surprised.

5. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Only 164 votes out of more than 2.2 million total votes cast (or 0.0074%) decided the Attorney General's election race in Virginia last year, with pro-gay Democrat Mark Herring defeating anti-gay Republican Mark Obenshain. That is why we have this victory in Virginia today. So go out and vote, elections have consequences!

Virginia was definitely the highlight of the 2013 elections, with Kookinelli and Obenshain (and the totally insane E.W. Jackson) all going down in defeat in what used to be a conservative Republican state.

The former capital of the Confederacy is rapidly liberalizing with the explosion of growth in Northern Virginia, and I think would likely be the first "Southern" state to ever legalize marriage equality without a federal court ruling forcing them to.

The wins in Virginia helped to make up for that gasbag winning re-election in New Jersey.

6. Absol

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It honestly feels like "when" instead of "if" now. My local was reporting the story(one of my friends was actually covering the story) and they asked some people's opinions on it, and they agreed with Herring's decision. I was honestly surprised, I'm proud of my state for once.

7. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ken Cooch-not-that-kind-of-cooch-Cuccinelli still won't shut his mouth after his loss. The Cooch is busy screaming for Chris Christie to resign as the chair of the Republican Governors Association over Bridgegate. This coming from the man who wanted the Virginia Legislature to declare both then-Gov. Bob McDonnell and Lt. Gov. Bill Bolling "unfit for office" so as the Attorney General, Cuccinelli would be the next successor to the Governorship. As Rachel Maddow put it, he was trying to stage a Cucci Coup.

[​IMG]

But as for gay marriage in Virginia, I'm thinking it's looking good. Since it won't be defended by the state, SCOTUS probably won't take the case, and if it's struck down in the lower courts, we win.

8. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wonder what the Cooch is doing these days aside from running his mouth about Christie.

Maybe he's found his way to K-street as some kind of lobbyist? I'm so happy not to have to hear about him on the local news anymore, or just in general. Maybe he'll just disappear from politics as an example of the sort of Republican who causes the party to lose elections it might have otherwise won. I have to wonder why they ran such a crazy candidate, and an even worse Lt. Governor, as if that were possible.

9. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think Buono had much of a chance at beating Christie anyways, but yes, this is a major win. I think by the end of the year, Virginia will be added to the list of states with equality, the first from the south. Whenever a state decides not to defend a law in court, most of the time, that law is more often than not struck down (Prop 8 in California).