1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News HRC Report Tracks Pres. Obama's Use of Word "Gay", Linked to Further Equality

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by BryanM, Jan 24, 2014.

1. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    More + Full report link here: HRC Report Tracks Pres. Obama

I bolded important information in the quote as well.

2. Estival

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Awesome! I'm not going to go into politics, but this is one thing I like about Obama.

3. jargon

This feels like part of a string of studies which walk a very thin lines towards conflating correlation with causation, as they say - assuming that because two things happened around the same time one must have caused the other.

Granted, I'm sure Pres. Obama's willingness to talk openly about homosexuality has done lots of good, and I always like seeing the stats. :grin:

4. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, I am a very strong believer that correlation does not always mean that there's a causation between two data sets. I believe that part of the growing acceptance of the LGBT community and the lessening stigma of being LGBT is strongly affected by having positive role models who are LGBT (Ellen Degeneres and Neil Patrick Harris, for instance) in media, and other big people in the country speak out in support for LGBT rights. President Obama's new found stance on marriage equality (Which wasn't really new found at all, he just waited until it was politically expedient to "evolve" his stance) may not be directly related to the poll numbers, but I think as a whole, him and numerous others speaking out has in some way caused those poll numbers. I can't wait to see if the poll numbers nationwide for SSM grow up to 60% support by this summer.