1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Oklahoma wants to ban all marriages because gay people don't deserve to get married.

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Stridenttube, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

2. Caleb93

Re: Oklahoma wants to ban all marriages because gay people don't deserve to get marri

The bill wouldn't ban all marriage; it would allow all marriage.

"[My constituents are] willing to have that discussion about whether marriage needs to be regulated by the state at all."

I don't see why this is such a big deal.

3. starfish

Re: Oklahoma wants to ban all marriages because gay people don't deserve to get marri

Ahh the take my ball and go home strategy.

4. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian

Yeah they should ban all marriages because God Knows we can't let people marry because they love people the only reason people should get married is because they can reproduce and that's what marriage is about not love reproduction .

5. Sarcastic Luck

"I'm taking my toys and YOUR toys and YOUR toys and going home!"

6. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

This is about the dumbest thing I've seen yet.

And as if it stands a snow-balls's chance in Hell of public support. I'm sure all those married folks in OK will be delighted to lose their spouse's Social Security benefits, and widows and widowers of those killed in wars will be delighted to lose their military benefits, and people will be delighted to pay much higher inheritance taxes. Courts will be delighted to be clogged with custody, probate and jointly held property cases, all of which will have to set various and myriad new precedents.

I've heard this so-called libertarian argument before, and it just does't float.

7. Aldrick

I love it. I fully endorse them going down this road, as it will allow all the straight people who want to get married to experience the exact same challenges that gay people have faced. The moment the marriage fight touches straight folks directly is the moment the tide changes in favor of marriage equality for all.

In fact, I hope they go so far as to nullify all existing marriages in Oklahoma just to prevent two different classes from forming. Imagine all those straight folks waking up one day and realizing that their marriages have just been nullified by the state government. :lol:

This is such a stupid move on their part, because right now they can turn straight people against us. All they'd be doing is throwing them in the same boat with us, and it would allow us to unite together to finally overthrow them - the backlash against this move would be epic to watch.

This has to be one of the most desperate attempts to stop marriage equality that I have seen. I love it. Go for it, Oklahoma. I'd love to watch the epic fall out among straight people.

8. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I'm guessing both of Oklahoma's houses are majority republican, so I wonder how many will stand up against it anyways. If this gets legalized, expect marriage equality support in Oklahoma to skyrocket above 70% and nationwide too.

9. Hexagon

LOL.

Not that I don't agree with the principle of not having marriage. It seems like a pretty shitty idea to begin with, not to mention discriminatory and oppressive by nature. But the reasons they're doing it... ridiculous. I can't imagine the people going for it.

10. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

:roflmao:

That's exactly what I thought. :lol:

11. Aldrick

I'm still laughing so hard at how desperate they are to stop marriage equality. I'm just picturing the headlines:

"Ethel Green's Marriage Nullified By State Just Before 50th Anniversary"

"James Holland Denied Right to See Wife on Death Bed Due to State Marriage Nullification"

"Cathy Emerson Denied Marriage License to High School Sweetheart"

"Protests Outside Capital Building as Widowed Spousal Benefits End"

"Families Across State Lose Family Healthcare Plans Due to Marriage Nullification Law"

"David Watts: "I never knew how much I took my marriage for granted until it was gone."

"Historical Democratic Landslide Victories Across The State On Promise to Bring Back Marriage For All"

:lol:

12. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family

I hope this gets passed. It's like this "If gays can't get married. NOBODY CAN!"

13. PurpleGrey

Oh, Oklahoma. I'm sure there's gotta be lots of uptight traditional folks who would rather let other people have rights than have theirs taken away. Think of all the straight families who will suffer without the benefits like shared health care, and all the stress of figuring out child custody.

Really. How childish.

14. DrkRayne

OMG...this would be epic!!!!!!!

15. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

This won't pass if the public has a say on it, because we all know the people are cool with taking the rights of the minority away, but god forbid if THEIR right to marriage is threatened.

16. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all

I'm starting to wonder if this is a divide and conquer strategy. Divide the electorate along sexuality lines; quietly change the bill so just gay marriage will be outlawed, that passes and then the politicos can say that they're just doing the will of the people.

17. Aldrick

Gay marriage is already outlawed in Oklahoma. There is a state constitutional amendment banning gay marriage which the overwhelming majority of the state supported. The reason they are freaking out is because it appears as if the courts are going to find Oklahoma's ban unconstitutional. A lower court has already done so, but a stay has been issued and it's going to be passed up to a higher court.

They are in full panic mode because there is a high degree of certainty that the courts will rule in our favor, making marriage equality a reality. As a result, this is a desperate attempt by Oklahoma lawmakers to say: "See! There is no discrimination against gay people! We don't allow marriage in our state for anyone! Everyone is equal!"

18. Safekeeping

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

Hey, kicking the state out of the business of deciding who is and isn't married is fine by me. I read somewhere that marriage status in tax filing is a US-only concept.

19. Camrok

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual

I'm perfectly okay with this.
    I mean, should the state really be involved in marriage at all?