1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Amid Drug Scandal and Primary Challenge, Rep. Trey Radel to Resign

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by AwesomGaytheist, Jan 27, 2014.

1. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As some might remember, in November of 2013, Rep. Trey Radel (R-FL) was arrested for buying cocaine from an undercover officer. After a stint in rehab and a leave of absence, Henry Jude Radel III has announced that he's resigning from Congress today. Amid Florida's Republican Governor Rick Scott calling for Radel to resign "immediately" back in November, as well as a Super PAC raising funds to primary Radel in June, Radel gave his resignation to House Speaker John Boenher today, effective at 6:30 PM this evening.

Radel wrote in his resignation letter, "Unfortunately, some of my struggles had serious consequences. While I have dealt with those issues on a personal level, it is my belief that professionally I cannot fully and effectively serve as a United States representative to the place I love and call home, Southwest Florida."

Governor Rick Scott said this in a statement, "I believe that Trey is making the right decision for him and his family. I'm glad that he has sought help, and it's my hope he continues to put his attention on rehabilitation and his family."

Florida Secretary of State Ken Detzner is expected to call a special election to fill Radel's vacant seat.

Rep. Trey Radel to resign after drug plea