1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Disney Channel introduces first openly lesbian couple!

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Skaros, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    The Disney Channel showed their first openly lesbian couple on their TV show "Good Luck Charlie". It was the last episode for the show so Disney Channel decided it would be a good idea for the show to 'go out with a bang'. :wink: So no, the show didn't end because of the lesbian couple, it ended because they decided on it months ago. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

http://www.towleroad.com/2014/01/go...s-disney-channels-first-gay-couple-video.html

2. Rainbow Girl

Personally I love this show - even though I'm a little old for it - and was really looking to this episode. I haven't seen it yet because I live in Canada they air the episodes for the first time later in than in the States but I watched the clip on link you added up there (thank you for that) and it seems like they did a pretty good job. Oh and just a little correction, this wasn't the very last episode, it's the last half-hour episode and they have an hour-long finale still to come.

I kinda wonder if Disney will air reruns of that episode because I read they no longer air an episode that had a subplot about swearing (though they do air that episode where I live). I guess we'll have to see.

3. Foster

It's about damn time :slight_smile:

4. Cubiculum

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it's brilliant that Disney have decided to introduce lesbians into one of their shows. When I read the news I thought "at last! this should've happened ages ago".

I know the reason that they waited so long is because they know homophobic parents will send in hundreds of letters to Disney scolding them for providing their kids with 'bad themes', but why don't they forget about the homophobes and include LGBT characters for people that might actually like them?

I think this is a big step considering Disney is a VERY well-known children's company.

5. Zam

Zam

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I forecast a lot of angry "Christians" :eusa_danc

6. Tim

Tim

So is Nick, but they've had multiple same-sex scenes lately. No gay characters, but lots of comments, hell, even kisses.

And ABCFamily is a Family Channel, but features quite a few gay characters, including The Fosters, which is about a lesbian couple who are foster parents to children.

And ABCFamily is a sub-channel of ABC, just like Disney.

7. Sitri

My psychology teacher must have had a field day. He creates this image of being a big tough guy, but it's more of a joke. I know he loves good luck Charlie (he watches it with his nine year old daughter) and he HATES discrimination. Absolutely loathes it. He must have loved this episode.

#7 Sitri, Jan 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  8. This is so awesome!

9. Tim

Tim

Just to clarify, this wasn't the finale. The last episode airs in 3 weeks.

10. RainyViolinist

Wow, I never would've expected this. I'm a bit of a closeted (hehe) fan of the show myself, so it's really cool to see Disney do something like this. Hopefully, this'll become the norm and noone will bat an eye.

11. Im Just Me

Wow, this is wonderful. I love that they just make it a normal thing, but also put a bit of a focus on it. Wonderfully done.

12. DrkRayne

This is awesome. My partner and I watched this episode on rerun last night after hearing about it, old as we are, and thought the non-issue was the best part.
    My partner honestly jumped up and squealed in happiness.
    THANK YOU DISNEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Probably wouldn't have happened if it was two men instead. Since you know.. gay men are still too controversial to be on tv today. 8 shows featuring gay men compared to more than 40 featuring gay women really says it all. Lesbians are more accepted in society, period.

---------- Post added 28th Jan 2014 at 06:09 PM ----------

They usually just do that with gay (as in male) characters. Most Christians don't have a problem with lesbians.

14. Rainbow Girl

What I find ironic is that a lot the homophobes are complaining on the article on AfterEllen.com about. Going on a site Lesbian/bi women to complain about lesbians on tv? That makes sense. I also find it funny that most of the people's excuse for why it's a bad thing "how do I explain this to my children" when the show has made (subtle) jokes about the main parents of shows sex life and the ended with five kids many times but nobody has ever said that's a bad thing because they couldn't explain that to their kids.

15. DrkRayne

I was on there too and very confused. Like...wth? You came onto a lesbian/bi site to complain. WTF do you think you are?

16. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    So some guy I know tried arguing this and I need help with a reply to convince him otherwise.

A guy told me

• being gay is okay but not normal because most people aren't gay
    • kids cant comprehend having two mom's.
    • compared it to a kid smoking weed on the show. Smoking weed is okay but you shouldn't promote it to kids
    • when asked about leftys not being the standard he said "but that's comprehendable"
    • Called me ignorant and said how would I feel If an anti-gay person was on the show. I told him they're different. One's hateful one's not. He said "not true at all"
    • I told him it's like only having black people in an entire company or only having same race couples on shows. They exist and are people. Still can't comprehend

17. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Finally something good on the disney channel for once I'm watching .

18. C P

C P

I remember hearing about this a while back and am glad.

The problem with his statement there is that being gay, standalone, harms nobody nor does it comdemn anyone or show ill will towards anyone, while 'anti-gay' speaks for itself(a lot of it revolving around a strong dislike/hate, disgust, 'disagreement', etc.).

Take out the constant bullshit that sometimes results in an lgbt person not caring for straights, being lgbt, by default and of itself, does not come with an anti-hetero(or anyone) mindset.

We aren't going around telling everyone that we are against heterosexuality(even if we can't comprehend it fully like vice versa) and that hets are going to eternal damnation(the religious) or are freaks, etc.

19. Aldrick

If it's okay, then why is it a problem? Using the word "normal" like that simply denotes a statistical average, it doesn't imply a moral or ethical stance at all. Is he trying to say that because we aren't "normal" that we are somehow "deviant" or ethically or morally lacking - if so force him to say that. Don't let him hide behind words. If that's not what he's saying, then the use of the word "normal" there makes no sense. Most people in the United States also aren't Asian, but he isn't advocating that they be shut out of the media. There are more gay men (not including lesbians and bisexuals) in the United States than Asians. Force him to state his position clearly.

He should explain that to all the kids with two moms and two dads. They seem to comprehend it fairly well, and it isn't exactly a complex concept. Is he going to advocate that multi-generational families be shut out of the media because they're too complex for kids to understand?

How is showing two women "promoting" anything to kids? Is he saying that we're trying to recruit children, that somehow magically by seeing and knowing gay people exist that children are going to become gay? If so he needs to show some peer reviewed science to back up those claims, and he's going to have a hard time doing that - because there isn't any.

There is no reason gay people should be hidden from children, and nothing is being promoted. Unless he's trying to say that simply showing gay people might make children less likely to be bigoted and discriminate against gay people, in which case he should clearly state that is his goal and intent by keeping gay people hidden and in the closet.

What gives him the right to define what can and cannot be comprehended? Is he a child psychologist? Does he have any peer reviewed science to back up his claims? Don't let him define what can be comprehended, because he's simply going to label whatever he agrees with and deems acceptable as something that can be comprehended.

So he wants someone on the show that agrees with is point of view? Pointedly, they don't belong on a kids show because bigotry doesn't belong on children shows. The same reason we don't allow racist or sexist people on kids shows. (Or at least we try to keep them off children's shows, and out of the media in general.)

See earlier point about allowing him to define what can and cannot be comprehended.

20. Tim

Tim

Wee, my thoughts on what to say:

Speaking English is okay but not normal because most people speak Chinese. (If he wants to use statistics, use them right back.)

So when a kid's parents get divorced and remarried, it's hard to understand that they have 2 moms or 2 dads that way?

Nothing is being promoted. They are seeing a family on the show. Should they not show any families? After all, they're promoting heterosexual families in the show the entire time.

Ask him how he'd feel if there was an anti-straight person on the show. Would it be hateful? If he says no, tell him he's a hypocrite, and explain why.