1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News University of Illinois students don't get a snow day-attack Chancellor on Twitter

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by AwesomGaytheist, Jan 29, 2014.

1. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    On Monday, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign Chancellor Phyllis Wise sent out a mass email to all faculty and staff saying that despite a high of 0 degrees Fahrenheit, classes were still in session, and that everyone should take "cold weather precautions."

In response, more than 400 students sent over 700 tweets, some of them racist and sexist, blasting the decision under the hashtag #FuckPhyllis. One tweet read, "In a room with Phyllis Wise, Adolf Hitler, a gun with one bullet. Who do I shoot?" Another read, "Phyllis can go shove tomorrow's weather up her wideset..." You get the point. Then they turned to the fact that she is an Asian American, comparing her to Chairman Mao and even Kim Jong Un. A parody account of her had even gone up, and thankfully has since been deactivated. By 2 AM on Monday, someone had put up a petition on Change.org for classes to be cancelled and it already had 7,000 signatures.

The University has not publicly commented on the incident.

2. DrkRayne

Okay I know she was wrong for not canceling classes....but um....
    [​IMG]

3. katwat

Urbana-Champairn is pretty far north in Illinois. A high of 0 in winter in northern Illinois is not that big of a big. We had elementary classes in subzero weather when I was a kid in central Illinois. I don't get what everyone is freaking over.

4. Reddy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Heh....this seems so funny sitting here in Edmonton, Alberta where the temperature, before wind chill is often -35 Celsius (-31 F) and we still go about our business....wimps...!

The coldest I have been was -55 C while on exercise in Wainwright Alberta, there I was living in a tent....with nothing but a Coleman stove and my buddies for heat. Ever been in the middle of an eight man spoon?!

Sad that this seems to have degenerated into such a shameful display of racism and extremism....rather a disproportionate response if you ask me.

5. blueberrymuffin

Real schools *never* have snow days. Mine hasn't since 1978! The first day this semester was -10 and still had class. No one here even knows how to check for cancellation.

6. Skov

That's honestly not even bad temp wise. I wouldn't have cancelled class either. We had class cancelled Monday due to -40 F (-40 C) windchill. I think that's the cutoff here temp wise because I know we've had classes when the windchill was -35 F. In Minnesota we are more used to temperatures like this, but I'd think Illinois residents would be able to prepare as well.

7. Caleb93

My high school almost never closed or delayed, even if all the other districts in the area were closing. My college, on the other hand closes when there's an inch of snow. But that's because it's Birmingham, AL where pretty much the entire city shuts down if there's the slightest accumulation of snow or ice (just look at the headlines today). I'd think that people in northern IL would know how to deal with the cold. Apparently not...

8. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why would you cancel classes just because it gets cold?

9. Skov

When the windchill drops far below zero fahrenheit, your exposed skin can freeze in a matter of minutes. I know our campus cancelled classes because most of our students are commuter students who come from all over the metro and have to wait outside in this cold for buses (which are never on time in this weather). Our campus is also huge and requires walking large distances between classes for most students.

10. Sarcastic Luck

I guess that means my community college isn't a real school since they closed several times during the four years I went due to snow. I'm sure we're just all supposed to buck up and deal with driving 20+ miles in foot deep snow. :rolle:

If it gets cold enough, like someone mentioned, skin freezes. On top of that, vehicles won't start. Diesel engines are particularly bad about that about.

-----

The coldest weather I've had to drive to college in was about 9 degrees. That was flat miserable. It was a thirty or so minute drive to the college and despite running the heater full blast and having the seat warmer on, I shivered the entire way and it didn't start warming up till I was nearly there.

11. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One day of school cancelled for weather in my life.... -50F+ windchill.

And they're talking about shooting people. :eusa_doh:

(Yes I'm RESENTFUL. Lol.)

#11 Browncoat, Jan 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  12. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    She shouldn't have been treated like that.

I do want it known though that up here in Montana, we went to work every day even when it was at a high of -10F for a week. Those students need to grow the hell up and recognize that regular life continues despite physical discomfort.

13. Ticklish Fish

or as I saw it on another article site, it goes something like:

they're college students, if they don't want to go to school, then dont fucking go.

14. Sarcastic Luck

Sure, if you want to get docked points from your overall grade, miss an exam/lab that can't be made up, or get written up.

15. GreenSkies

GreenSkies Guest

To be fair, the high was 0, but the wind chill (In Chicago at least) was around -30 most of the day. My university cancelled classes, but I know that others did not.

Anyway, regardless of the actual temperature, that behavior is seriously inappropriate.

16. Ticklish Fish

one day isn't going to affect much if you attend all your other lectures, but i can't vouch for labs.

also I don't know about the dynamic of U of I, but an article i read said that most student bodies are white and the chancellor is asian. Of course, this isn't an excuse of those insults. They just need a bit more growing up, heh. Maybe their future employers find their twitters

17. Sarcastic Luck

I've had instructors that would dock points from your overall grade, even if you only missed one class period. Generally, labs can't be made up and if you miss them, tough luck. Should been to class.

18. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My school has a policy where if you cannot come because the weather is bad, the professor has to let you make up the work. If they do not, then you can go the ombudsmen and open a case against that professor.

19. blueberrymuffin

oh boo hoo, my campus is huge too and has buses that never run on time. Wear face masks, ride a bike if you don't want to wait, go inside buildings as you walk for some heat. College is as much about teaching you to adapt and survive on your own, which i promise at most businesses, they aren't shutting down unless the roads are literally impassable.

These students need to take it up with the 80 year old prof who will show up despite the weather *after* they miss class and see what sympathy they get.

---------- Post added 30th Jan 2014 at 01:49 AM ----------

Yes, you should buck up and *leave early* to deal with it. I had to drive 100 miles for an appointment the other day so i left 1 hour early and drove slower. Unless the roads are impassable you can make it. Cancelling just sends the message that the education isn't a big deal. You have to ask yourself why you're there. Not surprising, a lot of IL students are there only cause they don't know what else to do with their lives, so they're angry anytime class isn't called off. Why they're given federal loans and grant $ is beyond me.

OMG just put on more layers of clothes, 9 degrees is tropical this time of year.

#19 blueberrymuffin, Jan 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  20. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We had Monday off, and we should have had Tuesday off as well. When we have a high of 2, with up to 30-mph winds, it's dangerous to walk up to a mile and a half in. However we didn't go nuclear on President Dunn when he didn't cancel classes.

[​IMG]