1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Violence in Russia

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by tryhtwfr, Feb 4, 2014.

1. tryhtwfr

I'm sorry but is there anything being done about this ? The Olympics are soon to be held in Russia but shouldn't it be boycotted and the issue addressed before the UN?

[YOUTUBE]zMTbFSJ_Tr4[/YOUTUBE]

Link to Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMTbFSJ_Tr4#t=18

2. Wardrobe93

Ii just watched this before I saw your post, I will not be watching the Winter Olympics this year, and I dont like to lul on the fact its LGBT people. Just the fact that anyones Human rights can be so blatantly taken away in 2014 is disgraceful and heartbreaking

3. jargon

It's horrible seeing what some gay people have to live through over there.

Unfortunately, I think that because the violence that this video was addressing isn't state-sponsored, its not something that international government organizations are going to do much of anything direct about it. Russian law wouldn't officially permit that kind of violence, even if it often does in actual practice.

4. Wardrobe93

It just makes me think of history repeating itself, like Nazi Germany before WW2, it actually scares me

5. Brohg

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    fuck the olympics. If the olympic committee turns a blind eye to gay russians being beaten like this and laws allowing for it to happen, I don't want anything to do with it.

Fuck russia, fuck the olympics, and fuck putin and hope he fucking dies.

6. katwat

I really hope some channel runs a documentary like this opposite the olympics. I know I will not be watching them but it would be nice to be able to run the ratings up on something in opposition to them.

7. StillAround

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I watched this video, and it made me sick!

Especially that this stuff occurs on the street, in broad daylight...

Moments like this, I despair for the human race.

8. blueberrymuffin

It is state sponsored. Not enforcing laws against violence is the same as creating a law permitted violence. As with high schools here with policies against bullying that are never enforced, for example.

9. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm still going to watch the Olympics. I am in no way supportive of Russia and am thrilled with the amount of negative publicity they're getting and I hope they lose a ton of money on this, but boycotting is not a good idea. Those athletes work so hard to get to this stage; it would be devastating to take that away from them. Besides, I love cheering for Canada. :slight_smile:

10. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    So these people in Russia who are going after lgbt people think their better because their straight ? There not better their disgusting pigs their lower than trash to think that doing this to people is right this is just as bad as what the Nazi's did to the Jews and it's such a damn shame that people will use religion and the fact that they disagree with how someone loves to do such evil . I bet they think their doing good in the eyes of God but their not because didn't the bible say not to kill your fellow man ? These people are nothing but the scum of the earth . I'm so disgusted watching this and to know that No one is doing anything to stop this crap , not even the UN is It's such a shame how many more people need to get hurt or killed for them to do anything ? I was also disappointed when I saw the American team was still going to the Olympics . Like I've said I will not watch this I am disgusted with this country and the people who sit back and let this happen . It really makes me thinks some people really think Lgbt people are not humans and because their straight we are lesser than them . But this is what hate causes and how can anybody feel proud doing this shit to people You must not have a heart to do this and not even a soul this is just down right evil and they can use God and the bible or children or whatever crap to hide behind it but they aren't doing any thing Godly their not protecting children your just teaching them to hate and do violence against anyone that's different from them .
    So fuck you Russia fuck your Olympics because I will not be watching you are a discussing waste whole sick scum backwards country and I don't care what you do I bet America is doing the same thing they did in the past wait til a bunch of people are dead and cry how can this happen . :tantrum:

11. Typhoon

Typhoon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I actually logged in to post it after a friend of mine posted a link via FB. It's pretty sad.

12. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The gay problem is not the biggest one. The genocide and ultra-nationalism are far more concerning (heard of the mass murders in Chechnya?)

And Stocking, please don't make Holocaust analogies. What's happening in Russia is abhorrent and disturbing, but it doesn't reach nearly the levels of horror that the Holocaust was, and it's important not to dilute and devalue the sheer evil of Nazism by comparing it to relatively mild regimes such as Putin's.

A boycott of the Olympics, as I said in another thread, is nothing near enough without a pan-EU boycott of petrol and natural gas and a global mineral boycott. Given that that's not happening, I don't really think the trivial issue of the propaganda material gained from the Olympics outweighs the downside of boycotting it; people's entire careers and billions in investment are going into this, so to make it slump won't be kind to athletes or businesses, Russian and foreign alike.

13. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Your right it's not as bad as what the Nazi did but still it's a shame that other countries aren't stepping up and doing anything about it .
    that's what disappoints me the most .

14. Amerigo

russia boast 20 million dead in the fight against fascism.

70 years later russia is infested with fascists.

15. burg

new zealand Parliament has unanimously passed a motion in support of gay rights in Russia ahead of the Winter Olympics. Winter Olympics: NZ Parliament passes motion supporting gay rights in Russia - Sport - NZ Herald News

16. Nikky DoUrden

History already repeating itself... genocide in darfur I wonder if anyone even know about it, and Syria civil war.. :frowning2:

I stopped watching the video after first seconds. It makes me sad and its exactly why im in the closet and all I can say is that I'm jealous of people who have the courage to be out, especially in places like russia.

EDIT: boycotting russia won't achieve anything and will only do harm IMO.
    pushing putin to be more extreme than he is, could lead to a very dangerous situation that will demand intervention that NO ONE will want to take part of, and im looking at USA when im thinking that, because of obama isn't strong as he wants to be >.>

#16 Nikky DoUrden, Feb 5, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  17. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Well at least some one step up :dry:

@Nikky DoUrden it's best not too because it's depressing I cried watching this .

18. Camrok

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm lost for words at this point.
    The people doing this are just completely barbaric.

19. Holdingb

Holdingb Guest

This is disgusting :l I love the russian language and russian culture, but it sickens me that they treat their LGBT people this way and that the law does nothing to stop it. I understand some laws they passed sets the mood to naturally be homophobic, but this is extreme and people simply turn a blind eye to it. I could bet you that if this were happening to clergy that people would demand a stop to it immediately.

What do you guys think? Will this change once Putin finally loses a seat of power in Russia? Do you think there is any chance at all for a pro-LGBT president/ prime minister (wtf is it now?) to get into office? Even if laws are repealed and new laws set in place to protect the LGBT community that they would be enforced by the people/ police?

20. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I hope so I really do :icon_sad: watching that video last night really scared the crap out of me