1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Support for a bullied LGBT man

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by katwat, Feb 5, 2014.

1. katwat

I was on Facebook today and found a post shared by a friend. It was about this young man, Ryan Eichenauer who received a horrible, hate-filled, just vile note from someone telling him he should die because he is gay. It went on to tell him he should commit suicide and called him a coward. The note writer said that he was not a coward and would kill Ryan as he (the writer) was not a coward. It is just an awful thing to read.

Instead of quietly taking the hatred Ryan posted it on his Facebook page. He told the sender of the note that if that person was not a coward then why did he not tell Ryan these things face to face.

The amazing part of all this is that within just over 24 hours that post got shared over 1700 time. At the point I saw it there were over 400 people who had made loving, supportive comments. I read well over 200 of them and there was not one evil troll on there putting Ryan down or supporting the writer of that vile note. It was very uplifting to know that many friends, family members, fellow students, faculty, alumni of the school, relatives of students/faculty, and just total strangers took the time to love and support this young man.

The police have opened and investigation into the matter. Many, many people who were concerned about Ryan's safety made offers to accompany him around campus to be sure he is safe. The local news station ran the story (link: Ryan Eichenauer: Threats after coming out countered with support - KMSP-TV )

The person who wrote that note wanted to make Ryan feel isolated, unloved, unworthy, unsupported. What happened instead was Ryan found out that so many people love him, find him worthy, support him. He found out he is not alone.

All by shining a light on a bully, showing how small and miserable that note writer truly is.

2. Mysz

Sometimes we need to read things that restore our faith in humanity, and this is one of those things.

3. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Internet tough guys are cowards themselves.

4. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I had something similar happen to me on facebook but public I wished people had my back like they had Ryan's on facebook the ones who knew it was about me .
    but when I wrote it on here what happened and everyone was supportive it really makes you feel better when you know your not alone and people care for you .

5. Skov

OMGSH!!! I saw this guy's video on Facebook when he came out like a month ago!! He lives near me and I have some mutual friends with him that liked his coming out video so it showed up on my newsfeed. He seems like such a nice guy! I can't believe some people can be so cruel.

#5 Skov, Feb 5, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  6. SongshiQuan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Trust me when I say the note writer is a coward. I'm sorry that happened to Ryan, but he should probably just laugh at this coward's impotent rage.

7. StillAround

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that's how we'd want to react if this happened to us. But notes like this are not to be laughed at. People have died because of this kind of hatred and rage. Mathew Shepard in Laramie... Not so many years ago.

We'd all hope we could just shrug it off, but I think we'd be very naive to not take these threats seriously, and be just a little afraid.

This young man's voice was trembling as he spoke. I don't think it was just because he was in front of the camera. And I would fear for his safety. I don't want to wake up one morning to read that something terrible has happened to him.