1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Pat Robertson begs Ken Ham to shut up about young earth creationism

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by BradThePug, Feb 5, 2014.

1. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    More here

2. Minamimoto_Fan

It's bad when Pat is telling you to shut up on a subject most of us would expect him to agree with him with.

I saw the debate, and you can basically liken it to the superbowl, it was that bad

3. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Guess Pat Robertson thinks that freedom of speech apply only to him because he's all religious but not to anyone else that isn't .

4. Saint Otaku

I watched some of the debate. Ham was infuriating... >:3

5. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  6. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When Pat Robertson is telling you to shut up, you know something's messed up.

7. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah... it was pretty bad. It was like the superbowl.

8. FrozenFae

I try to be open minded and tolerant of other people's beliefs...but its just so infuriating to see the STUPID things people believe in. I know not all Creationists/Christians are like that, please don't think I am lumping them all together, but my God! How can someone live in the year 2014 and still believe things science has disproved beyond a shadow of a doubt? It just makes you look foolish and ignorant.

9. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you thought the debate was entertaining, in a pathetic sort of way, check out
    700wlw.com podcasts of an interview with some people from the creationist museum just prior to the debate. I think it was tuesday 2-4-14 on scott sloan and bill cunninghams show. They had on a woman who claimed to be a scientist (grad from OSU with a degree in science) According to her, everything was created 6000 yrs ago, the grand canyon, stars, carbon dating is based on a false assumption, man and dinosaurs co existed and disappeared because man hunted them to extinction. Even though she claimed the sun wasn't created until day 4, she claimed everything was created in 6 modern 24 hr days, because the bible refers to a day as a rotation of the earth anyway. It was amusing and pathetic at the same time.

As crazy as all this is, I don't think Pat Robertson shold tell them to shut up about it. If they really believe this, they have a legitimate right to express their beliefs. I think it's good for the average joe and jane to know how a group might think about things when they're involved in political issues, like how gay marriage and other rights will lead to child molestation and the destruction of marriage and society in general.

10. Aldrick

I have to laugh. There are so many issues at play here that it's mind boggling.

First, creationism (Christian Edition) is of course laughable on it's face. No person who ever wants to be taken seriously can stand there and say they believe in it. That's the way it should be. Want to defeat a Christian creationist in a debate? Just ask them to explain the story to you, and get them to focus on some of the more well known parts. Like, for example, "Can you tell me more about the talking snake?" You don't even have to debate them, all you have to do is ask them questions and let them talk while not allowing them to try and encroach on science. For example, not allowing them to make false claims about carbon dating being false. If you just focus on what they believe, then they look incredibly silly, and no one can take them seriously.

Second, as a former Christian fundamentalist I feel this little tingle in the back of my skull when I hear Pat Robertson say this... I mean... seriously? Does he realize the door he's just opened? There is a damn good reason that fundamentalists hold so firmly onto Biblical literalism, especially surrounding the creation mythology. Pat! You just shot a huge fucking hole right through the entire Christian faith. :lol:

Look, if you stand there and say that part of the Bible - any part - is not true, then you're opening yourself up to the fact that other parts of the Bible aren't true. That's just a fact. If part of the Bible is wrong, then other parts of the Bible can be wrong as well. This is why Biblical literalism exists in the first place.

Next, if you undermine the creation story told in Genesis you undermine the entire concept of original sin. Fuck, Pat! Think about what that means! If there was no original sin, that means that there was no need for Jesus to die on the fucking cross. The entire reason he dies on the cross is to cleanse humanity of it's sins, which is directly linked to the mythology of Adam and Eve.

This is why Biblical literalism is necessary to sustain the Christian faith. If you open the door to parts of it being untrue, the whole thing can quickly start to unravel. In declaring creationism false, Pat has effectively also declared original sin as non-existent.

From debates like these we easily merge into more higher level debates, like - if the creation story is a myth, and there is no original sin - maybe being gay isn't sinful. Because, hey - if you can fucking get the creation story wrong, maybe you can also get a few minor footnotes wrong as well, right? Everything collapses.

#10 Aldrick, Feb 6, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  11. Beware Of You

Yay the idiotic bigots are fighting amongst themselves.

Now quick bring in gay marriage while their backs are turned

12. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    GO GO GO!!!!:icon_bigg

13. SongshiQuan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When Pat Robertson tells you to cram your religious drivel, you're in trouble.

---------- Post added 6th Feb 2014 at 02:12 PM ----------

P.S. Okay i'm editing this from an image to a URL link to the image because I know we CAN cuss but this is a doozy and I don't wanna get banned. I'm gonna leave the link up though and I recommend if your comfortable with profanity you click on it. Because it's pretty funny.

http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/Relevant%2Bto%2Bwhoever%2Bsaw%2Bthe%2Bdebate...%2BTo%2Bthose%2Bwho%2Bdont_db3365_5005861.jpg

#13 SongshiQuan, Feb 6, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  14. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Just when I thought Pat Robertson had taken a step back from insanity. :icon_sad: