1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Irish Homophobia row

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Beware Of You, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Beware Of You

So Dublin is home to this awesome drag queen called Panti she has a bar which is one of the best gay spots in town, I practically live there :slight_smile:

Anyway her alter ego Rory was doing an interview on an RTE (TV) show : Late Late Show on a Friday night, and he was talking about homophobia in Ireland and how it can effect young LGBT people even mild homophobia can. He mentioned groups and politicians who were adding salt to the wounds.

The host pressed Rory for the details and he mentioned a far fight Catholic think tank called the Iona Institute and a couple of their members.

Iona then complained throated legal action against RTE who pulled the online videos, and aired the repeats with the interview with Rory blocked out. They then apologised and paid off Iona.

It has started a huge debate about censorship in Ireland, Iona got paid 85000 euro in "compensation" even though they are openly homophobic! (They teach that gay people should be celibate since it harms kids etc.)

Ireland: RTE boss defends

2. SongshiQuan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm unfamiliar with libel/freedom of speech laws in Ireland, but the article indicates that Rory broke Ireland's libel laws by naming specific individuals. It doesn't look she would have been in violation if she called out the Institute as a whole. This being said, why is Iona suing the broadcaster? They are not the ones who broke the libel laws. I'm not defending Iona but that part of the lawsuit does seem like media censorship to me.

3. Aldrick

SongshiQuan -

Their goal is to silence anyone who criticizes them for their bigotry, and really this is a great example of why I love the First Amendment in the United States. It certainly allows a lot of horrible things through, but it allows us to punch back at the bigots who'd be the ones enjoying the protection of any censorship law. If we can get our message out there, then I believe we can sway people.

Panti's speech on the matter is so fantastic, I would make it mandatory viewing for everyone in the entire community. It not only sums up exactly how homophobia works (both internalized homophobia as well as homophobia directed at us by others), but it outlines how our critics have learned to twist things in Orwellian ways. I'm certainly adopting a lot from her speech moving forward.

[YOUTUBE]WXayhUzWnl0[/YOUTUBE]

We need more "jumped up queers" like Panti.

4. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    At some point these groups have to realise that if they want to play politics then they cannot expect nor demand a free pass to say what they want without being called out on it. They can't just set the lawyers on anyone that rightly calls them homophobic.

And Panti's right about the chorus of people telling lgbtq folk that they don't have the last word on what is homophobic and the idiots who have these "reasoned" debates.

5. Beware Of You

It gets worse when you realise that Iona is funded my richy American Catholics wanting to force their own bigotry onto others