1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News 4 Gay Activists Arrested In Russia As Olympics Kick Off

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by HuskyPup, Feb 7, 2014.

1. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Let the games begin, so to speak.

I wonder how many more arrests there's going to be. Heard this on NPR driving to work, so at least it's getting media attention.

As the Olympics start, I'm reminded how sick I am of them already, and refuse to watch a single event, even if the guys are wearing tight outfits.

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I heard earlier that number was up to 17...but I don't know how accurate that is.

3. IJustWantToLove

As sad as it is, I think there'll be several more arrests like this during the Olympics... But at least that means some people speak up for the LGBT Community...
    Don't know if not watching the Olympics is reasonable, though, after all they are supposed to be about the athletes and their accomplishments... (Yeah, I'm aware there's a huge political ado connected with them, but the main focus should be on the sports events...)
    Just my humble opinion...

4. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Huh, I wouldn't be surprised...I wonder what groups are tracking this, and how many of these will be kept hidden from public view.

5. Gengars

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I just hope that these upcoming protests and arrests don't end up being in vain...

6. lukeluvznicki13

This. Is. Just. Ridiculous

7. Typhoon

Typhoon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    You know that after the Olympics the LGBT in Russia will be entirely forgotten right?

8. IJustWantToLove

Probably, but chances are higher that people remember and keep the focus on the LGBT-situation in Russia than without the Olympics. 'cause honestly, how many are out there who do not belong to the LGBT-Community who wouldn't have had a second thought about Russia's anty-gay law if it wasn't for the constant coverage due to the Olympics? Considerably less, I'd say...

9. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm with Duwayne, I think this'll be quietly forgotten about around a week after the games end, 3 days if there's a celebrity scandal of some kind.

10. IJustWantToLove

Well, I don't think you are wrong, I just really HOPE you are... =/

11. Holdingb

Holdingb Guest

It is great that people will pretty much give up their life to get the point across by being an LGBT activist, but does anyone really think Putin has any problem arresting more and more people, it's kind of his thing. The only way to end the discrimination is to end Putin's "rule" over Russia... 12 years is long enough :l

12. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Take Putin out and you'll be left with a crap shoot as to who will seize power and with no guarantee that they'll repeal the laws and set about society's bigotry. Heck you could end up with someone like Milonov running the show which would lead to Occupy Paedophilia and their ilk being openly employed by the state. There's also every chance that whoever does come to power will only be in the job if they keep the Orthodox church, the mafia and God knows what else on side.

Putin's a small part of Russia's problems and they're not all bigotry related.