1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Kansas is making discrimination legal

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by DrkRayne, Feb 11, 2014.

1. DrkRayne

House panel approves bill that shields Kansans who refuse to serve same-sex couples on religious grounds | Wichita Eagle

The bills allows public and private and GOVERNMENT employees the right to refuse service to lgbt people on the grounds on religion.

So you know, a gay person's house is on fire, or a gay club is on fire, the firefighter can refuse to help.
    Or a gay person calls for help from the police...they can refuse.

Not just public places like wedding cake bakeries...but government employees.
    Are they nuts?

2. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Does this mean atheists can refuse to serve believers or would that be disallowed because it discriminates against our moral betters?

Also is this is a Christian only perk or can any religion get in on it?

3. Zeevie

Please tell me this isn't real. It can't possibly be real.

What is wrong with people?! This is not only horrible, but incredibly dangerous! Like the poster above said, what if a queer person is hurt/attacked/mugged etc. and they want a police officer to help? Can that police officer refuse on the basis of the victim's sexuality? What if their sexuality doesn't come up until later in an investigation? Can the cop then decide, "screw it, I don't wanna help you anymore. Buh-bye!"

We are all human beings and should be entitled to everything everyone else is! Especially life-saving services like the police and fire department. Ridiculous!:dry:

4. Skov

They tried to do something like this in South Dakota about a month ago. It got a lot of backlash so they didn't move forward with it thankfully

5. Daydream Harp

And here I had hoped the US would only get better after Obama did the protest against Russia's anti-gay laws. I guess not =(

6. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Seems appropriate -

[​IMG]

7. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you so much, Mr. Phelps.

8. Sorceress of Az

Can we kick Kansas out of the U.S.?
    Please, let's just kick Kansas out of the Union?

We don't need closed minded, judgmental, people of that sort in our nation.
    I'm ashamed to share the same continent with them.

People like that are why I am afraid to ever come out of the closet all the way,
    though I have seen stories of LGBT people being murdered before, so this doesn't surprise me.

9. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Need I say more?

[​IMG]

10. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  11. Gengars

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh no, this hits far too close to home for my comfort... Please, PLEASE tell me that this is unlikely to actually go into effect! Then again, i've lived in the midwest long enough to know that this is definitely happening...

12. BelleFromHell

Refusal to provide services on the basis of sexual orientation is just as ridiculous as refusal to provide services on the basis of gender, race, national origin, skin color, eye color, hair type, etc...
    As an agnostic atheist, the bible belt never fails to shock and discust me.
    What's sad is that people who are TRUE christains that actually follow the teachings of Jesus and don't discriminate against people who disagree with them or LGBTs are being given a bad name when the bible-thumpers do this crazy bull shit. SIGH...

THAT GLENNBECKISTAN THING IS SO TRUE!
    And... of course Georgia is right in there... "orz
    If I had a dollar for every pee-brained member of the religous-right this state harbors, I'd have enough money to go to a fantastic private college for snotty rich girls and still have enough money left over to build my own goddamn mansion.

#12 BelleFromHell, Feb 11, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  13. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Yeah, just completely ignore and diss the extremely large amount of people that live in these areas who are not only not conservative (a very large minority - in some cases majority depending on how you define "conservative"), but certainly do not agree with Glenn Beck or the people proposing these bills (a vast majority).

/oversensitivity mode off

#13 Browncoat, Feb 11, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  14. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I vote to kick kansas out of the union. Not anything to do with state rivalries or anything... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

kansas should seriously be relabeled kansastan if this passes, because this bullshit is the exact thing you would expect out of right wing extremism.

15. wanderinggirl

I hate haters.

16. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    *lives in Kansas*
    Yes, I hate the majority of my state.

I'm ashamed that my state is the subject of an EC news article where people respond repulsed by it.

Yep - screw Kansas. Will we ever learn? Doubt it.

17. themonkey319

One day people will understand that discrimination cannot be effectively managed by law. It's the morality of people that causes discrimination, not the fact that discrimination is allowed.

Now the language of this bill, so directly calling out LGBT members, would be enough grounds for me to vote against the bill were I in the position to do so. There's no reason any group should be specifically targeted in the legal language of any bill.

I think the element that needs to remain is that a business or home owner should be able to turn away anyone it wants to for any reason (maybe they don't like your shoes). In an example where a gay person is turned away because of the owner's beliefs, they would have to do so realizing that not only are they turning away a given customer's money, they also run the risk of losing the massive majority of Americans operating in public who support LGBT community. Take the well-known recent bakery case: The media shit storm alone would solve this. That business is doomed because the morality of the rest of us came out en masse against their actions. While I have no real sympathy for this particular owner, I do have sympathy for the law. It strikes me that something is very wrong when a person can face PRISON for not making someone a cake, no matter what the reason.

I agree with the sentiment of this thread but the ABSOLUTE WRONG ANSWER in my opinion is to turn property rights over to anybody but the property owner. If he or she wants to be a bigot, he or she would have to do so at their own expense. They should have to face our wrath as their (former) customers. They are going to have to find a new subsistence. It's much more effective than trying to change people's minds by edict. It never has worked and it won't work today.

FIRE AWAY!

18. Phoenixaaa

Wow, I really need to leave this state as soon as possible. Next thing you know... random lgbt teens and adults are going to end up in "accidents" or "missing," which is a worst case scenario I wish wasn't even close to being a reality. Smh, I already get stares and mistreatment for being a minority in Kansas, NOW THIS?!? :***:

19. Caleb93

The freedom to discriminate is a good thing.

Let's you are gay and own a catering business. You get a call from Fred Phelps wanting you to cater meals for the Westboro Baptist 50th anniversary celebration. Should you be required to do business with him? Of course not.

Now does this mean that some people will not discriminate for reasons that we do not agree with? No. But the good news is that in a free market there is competition. If you don't like someone's business practices you can always find someone else to do business with. Or you can start your own business which operates in accordance with your own personal values. The most successful businesses will be the ones which share the values of the majority of people. Businesses whose practices are frowned upon by the majority of society will be less successful.

The government is completely different. It is a monopoly, meaning no one else is legally allowed to provide the same services that the government provides. Don't like the police department? Too bad. You're stuck with them. The fire department lets your house burn down? Looks like you're out of luck. This is why the government isn't (or shouldn't be) allowed to discriminate. Ideally there would be no monopolies at all and people would be free to choose the services that best satisfy their personal needs, but since we do it is most fair to require that the government does not discriminate.

20. I heart Owls

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Is there a petition we can sign?
    As we know one of the best things is support.