1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Transgender Woman Tossed Into A Men's Prison Over Visa Dispute

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by NotBrokenYet, Feb 11, 2014.

1. NotBrokenYet

I am literally SO angry about this right now, especially since this is so close to home for me. So a transgender woman came in from the UK and was denied entry to Canada over a visa dispute (paperwork wasn't in order...) and was detained, repeatedly misgendered, and generally treated HORRIBLY by the Toronto Airport law enforcement personnel. And NOW because this woman has not undergone any surgery, they continue to say that she is male and they have placed her in a men's prison (even though she is legally female and her passport lists her as female). At the very least, she's in a separate cell away from the other inmates but this just makes me so sick for so many reasons. Its just horrible.....

I won't paraphrase too much of the news articles because my hands are killing me today but if you want to know more just search "Avery Edison" on Google. There's a support tag on Twitter (#FreeAvery) and some people (myself included) have e-mailed the Canadian Correctional Services representative for Ontario to protest these actions. If I could drive or had a car I'd be down there protesting but for now I have to settle for at least getting the word out...... this is just making me so upset....... :tears:

2. Daydream Harp

Well, there goes my faith in humanity.

3. Zam

Zam

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I foresee this in the next question period...
    Harper is going down...

4. RandomMatt

Hopefully she's able to find a way out of this soon and sue their asses.

5. Sorceress of Az

That is horrible.

6. EatYourRikkios

Dear... Holy freaking mother, what is wrong with these people? I am so pissed off... If I still lived in New York, I'd be driving over the border to protest. That is sick and disgusting.

7. PurpleGrey

But she's legally female. The paperwork alone must be terribly confusing. But whatever.

I can't believe she was incarcerated for something as stupid as visa paperwork! Obviously, shit was beyond her control, or rather, whatever the circumstances, I don't understand how a visa dispute leads to imprisonment. Maybe I just don't know how immigration works, but really?

I think I'm somewhat incoherent here. But you get the idea, maybe.

8. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is fucking horrible.

9. Aldrick

This is so disgusting, and it pisses me off. However, there are a lot of unanswered questions here. For example, if she was legally recognized as female why was she thrown in a male prison? Or, perhaps even more concerning, why was she thrown in prison over a visa dispute?

Also, where is the link to the article?

10. NotBrokenYet

She was thrown into a male prison because she had not had any surgery to alter her genitalia - they insisted she was male and placed her in a men's prison because she had a penis. She's in prison awaiting an immigration trial, apparently she accidentally overstayed her student visa for a short time when she was living here for a while? Part of the reason she came back was to meet with her lawyers about it but she was taken into custody before she had the chance.

There are a bunch of articles on the topic but I'm still new and iffy on what off-site links are allowed, didn't want to break any rules. ^^;; As I said though, if you just to a search for Avery Edison, there are multiple articles that outline the details.

Positive Update: Edison has been moved to a female-only jail, details here: Transgender woman Avery Edison finally moved to Ontario female jail after being locked in male-only facility | National Post