1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Archbishop of Dublin: ‘Homophobia is an insult to God’

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Beware Of You, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Beware Of You

Despite being an atheist I can say this is refreshing especially coming from an archbishop, seems Iona don't have many friends

Archbishop of Dublin:

2. Claudette

Claudette Guest

we need more leaders and religious leaders to think like this man

3. IJustWantToLove

Yeah Plenilune, I agree.

It's sad to see how something that's supposed to give the people hope and peace sparks hatred and promotes loathing. And him speaking up and interpreting the Word of God as words of love and acceptance no matter who you are definitely is refreshing
    (versus the stupid quoting and interpreting according to their needs of Leviticus -.-)

4. Aldrick

This is certainly nice, and a good thing. However, I think the obvious follow up question was not asked. "Do you believe being gay is a sin?" If he answered yes to that, then there is another obvious follow up that automatically needs to be asked. "Do you believe that teaching people that being gay is sinful and wrong, contributes to homophobia in society?"

Just because someone says nice things, because it would look awful if they didn't, it doesn't absolve them of the responsibility to actually stop doing the things that contribute to the problem in the first place.

5. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    True, but when a pig flies, you can't complain if he's not in the air very long. I'm amazed at some of the statements that are escaping from religious leaders lately. I'm certainly not naive enough to think that the rainbow carpet is being rolled out, but perhaps some of the clutter on the floor is starting to be shifted to make some room for it.

6. EatYourRikkios

This guy is awesome. If he answered that he thought being gay, or acting on it, was a sin, I'd be upset. Certainly. However, views like his are an amazing step forward and I'm thankful for that.

A friend of mine has a grandma that asks him to pray every time he acts on being gay. It's ridiculous, but it's better than the grandfather who won't talk to him anymore since he came out.

Ideally, the Bishop's statement would be followed up with 'I don't believe it's a sin, because God makes everyone perfect, and people are made this way' but I'm ecstatic just for what's being said now. Baby steps are still steps, after all.

7. BelleFromHell

I'm agnostic, but it's still refreshing to see religous people stand up for the LGBT community. :icon_bigg

---------- Post added 12th Feb 2014 at 08:49 AM ----------

To quote Mahatma Gandi: “I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.”
    The word Christain means "little christ", so in order to be a TRUE Christian, you must treat people with more respect and don't be so quick to judge. No exeptions!

8. PurpleGrey

Yay Dublin Archbishop! Never thought I'd see the day!

9. duende84

That is good news!

10. DoriaN

-Being gay is not a sin any more than being black or white or inbetween. Committing adultery and fornication is.

-Homophobia comes in many forms and is borne out of many methods, if words were so simple the whole world would turn.

James 2:10
    "For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all. 11 For he that said, Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if thou commit no adultery, yet if thou kill, thou art become a transgressor of the law."

Moses killed a man, yet he was exalted above many, for he repented and did great works by faith, though to the end he was not faultless, having smote the rock at Hor-mah, he was human.

If a man gets drunk and abuses himself with mankind, he is no better than one born homosexual who has sex. Can the blind lead the blind? Can the left hand claim it is better than the right, yet they are part of the same body?

If we are all part of the body of sin, we are all transgressors, far be it from myself to judge or persecute another's sins while having the plank in my own eye.

11. Cerith23

Kudos to this guy: the sad thing is that people even have to point this fact out.