1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Michael Dunn guilty of attempted murder, jury hung on murder

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by AwesomGaytheist, Feb 15, 2014.

1. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    After days of deliberation, the Florida jury in the case of Michael Dunn, who shot one Black teen to death and shot at the other three in their SUV for listening to loud music while Black, was convicted of three counts of second degree attempted murder, as well as one count of firing a gun into a car.

The judge declared a mistrial on the First Degree Murder count, which will probably be retried with a new jury at a later date.

A Second-Degree Attempted Murder conviction carries a maximum sentence of 15 years in prison. USA Today is reporting that with Florida's 10-20-Life law, Dunn could spend the rest of his pathetic life in prison even without the murder conviction. The sentence requires a mandatory 10-year sentence for using a gun in the commission of a crime, 20 years for firing a gun in the commission of a crime, and a 25-to-life sentence for injuring or killing someone with a gun.

More will be posted as the story develops.

#1 AwesomGaytheist, Feb 15, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  2. fairydust

fairydust Guest

It's only the beginning for that piece of garbage.

3. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    CNN is reporting that Dunn is facing a minimum of 20 years on each count of attempted murder to be served consecutively. This means he's going away for a minimum of 60 years. At the age of 47, this is basically a life sentence. When the first-degree murder trial is retried, there may be no shot of him ever getting parole.

In Florida, you must serve at least 85% of your sentence in order to be even considered for parole. This translates into the bare minimum time he'll be in one of Florida's inhumane prisons will be 51 years. None of Florida's prisons are air conditioned, and Florida has been subjected to many lawsuits over living conditions in Florida's prisons.

#3 AwesomGaytheist, Feb 15, 2014
  4. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

The problem is that he committed second degree murder, but was charged with first degree murder. They can't ever get a conviction off that charge, because that isn't what he did. He should have been charged with one count second degree murder and three more attempted.

5. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here's to hoping he doesn't get away with it like Zimmerman did.

6. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    America: Where you can be found guilty of attempted murder of the three people you missed, but not found guilty of the murder of the person you actually killed.

Anyways, if he gets off of the murder charge, he's still facing a minimum of 20-75 years in prison, depending if he serves the terms continuously or consecutively (I'm hoping for the latter).

---------- Post added 15th Feb 2014 at 11:59 PM ----------

Sorry for a double post, but I just wanted to clarify something. You can premeditate something in the heat of the moment, and that's been held up by court systems before. I believe him firing four or five more shots at the SUV as it drove away is clear evidence he was intending to kill someone. Premeditation can happen in the blink of an eye, and it can be as close as the difference between one or two shots fired.

#6 BryanM, Feb 15, 2014
  7. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

That seems like quite a stretch, and is probably why he got a hung jury when he clearly killed with no justification. To me, first degree it would mean he had intention to kill before he got pissed off about the music.

8. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thing is, they had the option to convict on a lesser charge of second-degree murder, as well as I think voluntary manslaughter.

Now if there's anyone in this case that should be sacked, it's state attorney Angela Corey. That woman only prosecutes people based on public opinion. She's the one who put the one woman away for 20 years for firing warning shots at her husband. Another fact about her is that the only reason she prosecuted George Zimmerman was because her ass would have been voted right out of office if she hadn't. Despite the clear racial prejudice and all of the facts of the case, she waited and waited until public outrage had swelled out of control just to get her face on TV and her name in the paper when she charged him with second degree murder.

Now she overcharged this case resulting in a hung jury on a slam-dunk murder case. This is why I think that prosecutors should be appointed or hired by the district or state itself, is because otherwise you get people like Angela Corey. Thankfully though, she has announced that it's going to be retried, resulting in more TV airtime for her name and her face.

#8 AwesomGaytheist, Feb 16, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  9. Pat

Pat

When people try to make excuses for this shit, it's sickening. How the hell are you going to get an attempted murder charge, if you killed the damn person you intended to kill?? Just another example of the value of black lives in America. And then other gay people want to look at me funny when I tell them I haven't gotten around to giving a shit about gay rights.. We're prejudice within our own. I've been black and gay for the same amount of time, and I can tell you that they don't equate to one another. Especially when you live in the South. There's nothing patriotic about me, and there likely never will be. It'd be silly for me to think I'd be able to contribute to equality for gay men and women, when there's still not equality for black men and women in this country. There's always a loophole or technicality when it comes to what's right somehow. And prejudice is a lot more elusive than racism. The evolution of hatred is definitely out there. Hopefully, he'll still get the sentence that keeps him in jail for life, but even if he goes, something tells me they'll find out how to parol his ass too in the next 10 years.

10. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

The reason is that the murder charge used was the wrong one. Instead of charging him for the second degree murder he committed the prosecutor tried to reach for first degree. This was a big legal stretch, and a difficult argument to make. If she had charged him with second degree murder instead, he would have been convicted on that charge.The attempted murder charges were for the other three people in the car who did not die, and those were charged as second degree, so he was convicted. It's not a matter of the jury not valuing black lives, it's a matter of the prosecutor wanting to go for the highest charge instead of the charge that fits the crime.

---------- Post added 16th Feb 2014 at 05:22 PM ----------

The best part is that she charged the three attempted cases as second degree. All four people shot at were shot at in the same incident. So, how does it make sense that one was premeditated and the others not?

#10 Necromancer, Feb 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2014
  11. Rosepetal

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The jury is stupid buying his words just bc the boy is black and the man is white what a shitty excuse.

12. SongshiQuan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sucks he dodged the murder charge(and says a lot) but his racist ass is still going to prison. He better hope the Aryan brotherhood is taking applications because that's the only way he's not shived within the first two weeks.

13. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

Again, that is not what happened.