1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News UN invokes Godwin's Law on North Korea

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by GeeLee, Feb 17, 2014.

1. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    North Korea Regime Compared To Nazis By UN

It's probably the most damning report the UN have released in a long time and makes you fearful of what we're going to find if the regime ever falls. I'd love to hear the excuses if we get in and find another Holocaust has been going on for the past 70 years under our noses.

North Korea has predictably called it all lies and propaganda, so fully expect a lot of people to be agreeing with them despite the weight of evidence to the contrary and fully expect a lot of people to just not give a crap.

#1 GeeLee, Feb 17, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  2. DoriaN

Besides the two, to make it three.

3. The DPRK is a client state of China. It absolutely relies on China for its existence and China seems happy in all that goes on there.

China is by many measures the world's second largest economy, likely to become the biggest in not too many years. Its influence in the world will grow with its economy. My view is that there is therefore a reason to be worried, not directly from the threat of North Korea but the knowledge of what the world's soon to be largest economy is happy to oversee.

Now, if China were in a position not to feel the need for a buffer state in the region, DPRK might find itself suddenly becoming very, er.. ronery.

I think it's only Godwin's law when the comparison is made with something that isn't remotely like Hitler or the Nazis. In this case I think the level of atrocities and the dictatorial structure of government make the comparison an appropriate one. Sorry to nitpick but I have to take my pleasure where I can.

4. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Pity. The time I met Kirby he seemed perfectly rational, even if I've never really liked him. This is an insult to the reality of the situation (and its victims) and an insult to the horrors of the Holocaust. Relating them is a bad idea, even if the regime has drawn on Nazi methods to an extent.

The motives are different, the situation is vastly different, and the only reason it's being compared is because Nazism is an over-used analogy for lazy minds. It's diluting what the Holocaust was, and it also means that the victims of the DPRK will only be considered by proxy; the analogy is likely to replace any meaningful thought about it with a poorly-understood historical event.