1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Arizona passes "Right to Discriminate" bill.

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Aare, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Aare

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Basically, my lovely state Senate passed a bill today (SB1062) allowing for the discrimination of LGBT individuals (and others that religious communities may find undesirable). The bill will "expand the rights of people to assert their religious beliefs in refusing service to gays and others."
    The primary sponsor of the bill (Yarbrough) has taken the position that basic rights for LGBT citizens victimize anti-LGBT citizens.
    "This bill is not about allowing discrimination. This bill is about preventing discrimination against people who are clearly living out their faith." -AZ State Senator Steve Yarbrough

Sources:
    Arizona Senate OKs bill boosting service refusal
    AZ Advances Religious 'Right to Discriminate' Bill | The Bilerico Project

2. Nicholas1991

Aw poor little homophobes, my heart breaks for them. It must be hard being white, christian and straight.

3. Simple Thoughts

Religion and homophobia fitting perfectly together like two pieces of the same puzzle...that's shocking.

4. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sucks that so many states are having bills come up like this.
    Kansas just finished nixing the first one that came through, though I'm sure there will be more.

These types of bills will never make it as a law in my opinion. The feds will shut them down, but it just sucks that the people 'representing' the state find it acceptable to pass such crappy bills. :tantrum:

5. Beetle

Awww those poor heterosexual religious homophobes, what ever will they do? Those poor Christians being discriminated against for what they are. So sorry me being gay oppresses them! So sorry my "lifestyle" of drinking coffee, eating food, driving my car, sleeping, and making cartoons makes them feel unsafe being Christian.

So glad I live in CT/Canada. Not perfect by any means...but at least there isn't this bullshit.

I feel for those who have to live in places like this, or places even worse.
    *hugs everyone*

6. Bibliophile

While I personally do not like the idea of a person refusing me service. I however am more so in dislike of the concept that anyone has the right to tell a person that they MUST sell to another person for any reason. In my eyes this says that people have a right to another mans time or property against their will.
    As for the federal government getting involved I question this. The federal government ONLY has the right to regulate interstate trade. Which in my eyes is not simply a product traveling from one private seller in a state to another private seller in another state but actual trade and monetary agreement between states. However even if the courts whom I feel are corrupt do not agree with me that STILL would not give them the right to regulate anything that is not an interstate business.

7. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So they're preventing discrimination by protecting people who want to discriminate. How in the blue hell does that compute? Moreover how come it's just discrimination against gay people that's allowed? Why can't Jewish people discriminate against people who eat pork or Hindus against people who eat cows?

Then I remember none of those other things are Christianity and therefore have no right to the privilege that Christianity richly deserves.

EDIT: It'll get shut down by the courts and then the conservatives will complain about freedom for the purposes of votes. I also know that this bill does in theory allow the scenarios I outlined earlier, but I guarantee you all merry hell will break loose the first time someone who isn't Christian discriminates against someone who is.

#7 GeeLee, Feb 20, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  8. Bibliophile

No I doubt its ability to be made a law if mentioned in that manner. Though technically you could use the existing law as said protection if you lived in a state that had such a law as Arizona. The same as a Muslim could refuse the service to people they considered enemies of Islam. It would shock and outrage but it wold be covered in Arizona.
    Like I said I dont really agree with the concept but I do not agree with forced sales or business.

9. Bibliophile

Im sorry but please expand on what right is being violated? Specifically what right does this law infringe upon?

10. Jim1454

I don't understand what you're saying with this? Do you have an example? In what circumstances would you apply this?

Because I read this to understand that you think that people SHOULD be able to refuse service to people based on how the service provider 'feels' about the customer. Isn't that what went on before the civil rights movement with blacks? They could be refused service simply because they were black if the business owner wanted to refuse service?

11. Simple Thoughts

I have mixed feelings about the law myself. I can see the right of business owners to only serve whomever they choose since it's their business that they made.

The problem I see is when a business is the only one of its kind in town and people are unable to get basic services and potentially die over discrimination. Like what if the only hospital in town decides to invoke this law to refuse medical treatment to someone for being gay?

What if all the grocery stores and restaurants in a small town decide 'no gays allowed' and let all the homosexuals around starve to death?

Don't say 'that'd never happen' because people are downright evil sometimes, and they'd do it with little thought or care.

12. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think the federal government has every right to weigh in on these cases, as they involve civil rights. Businesses can't refuse to provide services to people based on race or being male/female...this is not any different. What if the only hospital in town refused to treat you, because they thought you were gay? Plus, how would they know? It's very arbitrary; there's no way for them to know.

The religious views/feds going too far argument is a smoldering pile of BS, and there's no good reason for these laws that are being passed to exist.

13. DrkRayne

Is this just the Senate or has the House passed it also and its being made into law?

14. Bibliophile

Jim and Simple. First I would only apply this to people that are not regularly receiving state or federal money as part of their business. For example a hospital, fire department, police department etc. This would be because they are already taking the money of the people as part of their business thus if they are state run they do not have the right to discriminate as they will always take the peoples money in part even before any paid service. If they are a private business and want to disciminate then they stop receiving all public monies.
    As for a whole town doing it well a person is almost always able to go to another town that you can travel to to get your needs. Its highly doubtful that one would be totally shot in their ability to get what they want or need. And if it were bad enough one can move. Now its a sucky situation but im sorry its not ethical to demand things from people who do not want to give you their product or service.

15. Simple Thoughts

Small conservative Christian town scenario #1

All restaurants and grocery stores refuse service to any gay person ( or person they assume is gay ) this of course means that someone who's lived in that town their whole life is being 'forced against their will' to move somewhere else.

Now lets take this one step further...

They don't have a car. So they managed to get to the only dealership in town. Won't sell em a car because they're gay.

Oh well what about the bus? Well the bus...same deal

So they're stuck at home with no transportation and aren't allowed to have food...death by starvation thanks the banded effort of a conservative christian town.

This one is what I like to call an 'Extreme scenario' it's likeliness is slim, but you can see from it that the avenue to force people from their homes and even force people into an inescapable starvation mechanism is entirely possible with the right band of homophobes working in unison.

16. Bibliophile

Simple you are assuming the bus is not a city or state run or funded business. Almost all buses are CITY or STATE run. Thus as I said they cannot discriminate as they almost all receive state money. So this coupled with the fact that its highly unlikely every business will make such a decision without being subject to public backlash makes your scenario all but impossible.

17. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Change every single mention of the word gay in that bill to black and you've got a Jim Crow law.

Leave it as is and you've got a religious freedom bill.

And these people paint themselves as our moral superiors.

18. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow, I'm really amazed to see this in this day and age.

So if the only hospital is private, then you're out of luck.

You should get a time-travel machine, and set it to Alabama, pre-1950, because that's about that time America decided to include people, and not exclude them.

If you think it's OK to have signs that say, 'No blacks allowed' and 'No gays allowed' just because it's your business, you should look into a county other than America, because I don't think that's who we are as a people. I'm glad we passed laws to end segregation and I don't want new ones being ushered in under the guise of 'religious liberties'.

I think laws that promote an inclusive society are more important than ones letting businesses be biggoty.

#18 HuskyPup, Feb 20, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  19. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Okay, the key is, if you want your party/state to look good and for the 'other side' to look like shit, you don't go and enact Jim Crow: Electric Boogaloo. That's bad PR right there.

20. Simple Thoughts

I know, I like taking things to the extreme though xD

Seriously, in all honesty this bill won't be good for LGBT folk. They'll just get discriminated against at every turn in Arizona. It won't even be funny when these companies start up the antics.

I'm almost willing to bet small towns where everyone knows everyone and they're all homophobic will work out plans to use this law to kick homosexuals ( or perceived homosexuals ) out of their towns.