1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News I feel deservedly shamed

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by GayDadStr8Marig, Feb 20, 2014.

1. GayDadStr8Marig

Dear soldier on an Alaskan Airlines flight from Washington, D.C. to Seattle | Fox News

My first job in college was working on a military base, surrounded by sailors and civilians. Yet, how many times have I traveled and seen members of the armed forces in uniform, thought to myself "just go say thank you" only to sit back and say nothing. How many times have I seen men and women in uniform at the mall or a theme park or amusement park and thought "tell them you appreciate their service" or "why not buy their lunch". How many times? I feel deservedly shamed.

Why did I say nothing? I've worked with these very people, I've said prayers for them, for their families, for our leaders. Why did I remain silent?

Shame.

I felt shame that these brave individuals would volunteer to defend my freedoms. Me, a closeted gay father, content to idle along in life, hoping that maybe someday I won't be gay, or maybe someday my wife will find out and confront me, and maybe that time I won't deny it. Instead I should have been inspired by your service, your willingness to give so much of yourself for others.

So, to anyone here who is now serving or has served in the past, I offer my heartfelt apology for not saying "THANK YOU" before, to you face. You deserve better. You earned better. THANK YOU for honoring me with your sacrifice, and please accept my apology.

-Rich

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    While not in the military myself, I've been out with my brother in his Navy dress blues. Occasionally people come up to shake his hand and thank him. It's a nice gesture that is very meaningful, but even if they don't do it, he knows he makes a huge difference. He sacrifices a lot, and is well taken care of for his service.

The only real objective of the armed forces is to allow others to live in peace. So just by doing that, you give them all the thanks they need. :slight_smile:

3. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't feel that we actually benefit from the military. It's been a long time since we had a war against a country that a) was an actual threat and b) waging war could actually make them less of a threat. Wars nowadays are either taking on some defenceless country to get better oil prices, or trying to fight terrorism by giving more people a reason to hate us.

Not the soldiers' fault, though. They're not the ones calling the shots, and a lot of them are fooled by the propaganda. I just feel sad that lives are being wasted.

4. Foxface

while I agree that the government has made poor decisions of police actions and war, I do not agree that we have no benefit having a military. Take us all away...right now and see how long it takes for an invasion with the crap foreign policy we've enacted elsewhere.

Personally I've been thanked, patted on the shoulder, bought a drink and offered a free first class seat. While it's greatly appreciated and I never turn it down, I honest to goodness prefer being ignored. Bear in mind this is a very personal decision and I do NOT think soldiers who take accolades or personal greetings are wrong. I just prefer to be ignored. Personally I think it is equally positive to go into any job and just do well at it. I have on many occasions called a manager or customer complaint line to say X restaurant and Y employee did amazingly.

Of course then there is the equally 'lovely' (sarcasm) experiences that I have experienced more often. I've had a lot of vile words typed and yelled at me because of what I did. -shrug-

good with the bad I suppose

I will however say thank you to all those who actually deployed, not just sat in a bay making warheads. I feel a mighty bit less of a soldier than those women and men

5. setnyx

i don't support the wars but i do support the troops. i have not gone up to a perfect stranger and thanked them though . i guess i feel like i do about celebrities i wouldn't invade their personal space.

6. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I get a chance, I try to thank soldiers when I see them. I go to a state university and every time I see them with a recruitment table in the student center, I go and buy them a bottle of water. It might not be much, but it is what I can do to help.

7. NobleCrown

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I thank soldiers when I see them. It never fails to make their day.

8. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Back in the seventies, it was a rare thing indeed to see a soldier in Canada. Except for this little episode called the October Crisis (Fall of 1970) here in Quebec. The troops were called in due to the threat of terrorism by Quebecois nationalists. It was the first time I saw soldiers patrolling the streets and riding around in Jeeps.

It took Canada's participation in Afghanistan to revive our respect for the Armed Forces, I see many soldiers in full uniform now here in Montreal, they wear it with pride. The next one I see, I will thank for their service.

9. beloved

Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not in the military, but I'm a military brat, an ex-Army spouse, and was raised in a military town. I have had many friends in the military. So, I'm just going to say what I've heard from them.

A LOT of soldiers would prefer to be ignored, like Foxface. They've told me that it's nice that people appreciate their work and kind gestures go a long way. But ultimately it's their job, they signed up for it. It's equally important to thank our firefiighters and police officers as well. Or pretty much anyone who does good at their job, because we're all making a difference in some way.

10. Reddy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    As a presently serving soldier I find this attitude deeply insulting. I am no fool; I have not been duped by mendacious or manipulative politicians or governments. Also deeply offensive is the attitude, which I have also heard before, that I serve becuase I am "a victim of my economic circumstances".

Both attitudes strip me of my humanity by denying my own will and agency.

Anyway, I prefer to go without accolades, but one situation really stands out. I was in Hawaii with my family while on leave during my deployment to Afghanistan. The waiter at a restaurant my wife and I were eating at came and asked if I was military as her table wanted to know. I said, yes I am but that I am in the Canadian military. At that I thought no more of it until I see a group of people leaving the restaurant and the same waiter walking to my table. When she arrived she said that the people who had just left had paid our bill, the whole bill. And this was not at all a cheap restaurant.

I was absolutely blown away, they didn't even give me an opportunity to refuse, nor even to thank them in return!

It still blows me away...

11. GayDadStr8Marig

Reddy and Foxface, first off thank you both for your service. I completely understand the reluctance of many members of the armed forces to seek attention for "doing their job" but at that same time the job you've signed up for is nothing like the 9-to-5 life we civilians love to bemoan in our day-to-day conversations. We are not expected to pick up our families and move across the country or to a base on the other side of the world; we are not "owned" by the government for a period of years, expected to be prepared to drop everything including family at a moments notice to be deployed for combat or support operations. The stress of family members left behind, pulled along with each relocation, watching the evening news of the latest IED attack, wondering, waiting, hoping the knock on the door is the girl scout selling cookies and not the lieutenant commander with a letter in hand. The simple fact that a thank you is not expected speaks volumes of the character of the men and women who wear the uniform. Whether you worked in a computer lab writing communications software, operated a drone, piloted a fighter jet or bomber, manned a submarine or worked the galley on an aircraft carrier, or anything and everything in between from supply ops to black ops; you are the front line of defense for our feedoms, and for that Thank You.

12. Beantown

Beantown Guest

I don't see soldier people much but their was this soldier guy that tried hitting on me but I didn't know he was like actually apart of the army, like I thought he was a hipster who shopped at urban outfitters or something and was wearing an ironic army suit thing, anyways I told him to beat it after calling him a few things which made him leave and then someone told me he was in the army. I felt bad but I would have been way nicer if I had known.

13. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This reaction denies the powerful influence that culture has on all of us. We're all affected by the attitudes of our surrounding social groups, soldiers included. Our 'own will and agency' is a far less powerful influence on our behavior than we like to think.

Every one of us, at some point in time, has been fooled by propoganda. It's part of living in society.

14. DMark69

I am a former army brat, and a 12 year veteran of the US Army myself. I agree with Reddy, I was not a victim of my economic circumstances, my brothers have done quite well without serving. I joined to help defend our country, and to promote our interests abroad. The people who get to make the decisions know more than the public, or even the soldiers on what is needed. Sometimes it seems awful expensive if you don't believe int he current war, or police action, or even if it is peacetime. I have always looked at it like an insurance policy. If you don't have any accidents, it seems like a waste of money to pay for auto insurance. When you have an accident, or an attack in the place of the military, they are very much appreciated.

15. Reddy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    [/QUOTE]

This reaction denies the powerful influence that culture has on all of us. We're all affected by the attitudes of our surrounding social groups, soldiers included. Our 'own will and agency' is a far less powerful influence on our behavior than we like to think.

Every one of us, at some point in time, has been fooled by propoganda. It's part of living in society.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps. But an influence is merely that, an influence, not a determinant. Particularly in a plural society like, well, practically any western society. Everyone is subject to many differing, contrasting and conflicting influences which can hardly be conceived as propaganda. Our own will and agency is exercised in sifting and evaluating those influences and acting accordingly.