1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Uganda President asks US for scientific advice before signing anti-gay bill

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by resu, Feb 21, 2014.

1. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, I know that this largely has to do with fear of the US and other donor countries, but it is good President Museveni wants to have scientific evidence on whether homosexuality is a choice or inborn.

Those Ugandan scientists need to get their heads out of the sand and read the widely available and peer-reviewed research on this subject.

BBC News - Uganda: Museveni 'seeks US advice on homosexuality'

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't put it past Uganda's government to pull backwards crap like this. However, I do worry because I can't put it past the US either to have one major party or the other attempt to gain influence by aiding their activities, facts notwithstanding. It could go either way.

:frowning2:

Why does he need concrete evidence anyway? Just leave them the fuck alone. But nobody here needs to see that recommendation, but might as well get it out while it's really late and I'm ranting.

#2 Argentwing, Feb 22, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  3. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Problem is the scientists did read the research that had already been done, they just interpreted it in the way most favourable to Museveni. They did no testing or research of their own at all. If it gets proven wrong then Museveni can just blame his boffins and won't have to deal with that much flak.

What he'll do now is take whatever the US boffins have to say and ignore the parts that are least favourable to him domestically. I put money on him using reports from the the family research council and Americans for truth about homosexuality as a basis for him signing the bill.

Museveni' s biggest concern is staying in power so he'll likely sign this whatever happens. He's Idi Amin in all but name.

#3 GeeLee, Feb 22, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  4. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's not out of sand those Ugandan scientists need to extricate their heads.

5. Ravi-VIXX777

Why can't they live and let live. :bang:

The make it seem that homosexuals are another species that needs 'studying'. If people commit suicide over being a homosexual, is that not proof enough it is not a choice.

6. Nikky DoUrden

there is no +1 feature here so ... this.

people wasting so much time on money on those stupid things ... let me help u : :bang:

7. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Don't they have animals in Uganda? In the same BBc story there is a link to references of some gay african animals. Is it a "choice" for them?

8. Simple Thoughts

Well at the very least this will delay the anti-gay bill for awhile. I'm sure it won't even make a dent in their policy though. I feel that this is just some sort of false reassurance, and no matter what American scientists have to say they'll do whatever they were going to do in the first place.

Hopefully they get in touch with real scientists on the subject, and don't rely on 'bought and paid for' fake science like so many people do in the U.S. >.>

9. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Platitudes to the international community is all that is...

10. Aldrick

Sure, this may be empty words, but that doesn't mean the opportunity shouldn't be taken to make it more difficult.

I think we should petition the President and the Department of Health and Human Services to send a delegation of respected scientists to Uganda to begin publicly spreading the truth about homosexuality. This is actually a great opportunity to try and counter the very anti-gay messages being sent.

The President Uganda has reached out, and whether or not it's in good faith is irrelevant; it's an opportunity to put further pressure on him not to sign it. The fact that he's delaying shows that he's fearful of international repercussions should he sign the law. That's a good thing. Send a scientific delegation and begin having them make the case very publicly, and then re-enforce the fact that if Uganda makes this bill law there will be international repercussions when it comes to the aid they receive.

The best case scenario is that it gives the President of Uganda more time to stall before signing it, allowing LGBT people in the country to get out while they still have the chance.

11. Simple Thoughts

I agree with Aldrick.

At the very least buying some time would be a blessing over there :slight_smile:

Who knows? Maybe a team of scientists spreading a little sexual education to the masses in Uganda could enlighten the people? I doubt it, but crazier things have happened.

12. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    He should prove that being straight isn't a choice instead of demanding we prove that being gay isn't one either.

Whatever. I won't be surprised if they pass it.

13. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well President Museveni, I can tell you that I did not just wake up one day for shits and giggles and say to myself, "You know what? I think I like dick now."

14. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    This is weird, he wants to sign the bill, but he's asking for a second opinion from a nation that is pushing him to not sign the bill. From what I've observed, he probably is aware that gays don't choose the be gay, but he's trying to find a scapegoat so he doesn't look like a jackass in front of the entire world.

15. setnyx

the arse for sure especially since they mostly talk out of it anyway and when they open their mouths all that comes out is sh*t.

16. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Nah, he's trying to find a scapegoat to distract people from noticing that he's Idi Amin in disguise. As I said in the other thread gay people are his go to distraction when he makes things a little easier for him to stay in power.

17. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with Aldrick. People need to remember that the homophobia in Uganda and other African countries largely stems from ignorance and invisibility of gay people. It was only in 2003 that the US finally struck down "anti-sodomy" laws in the country. So, if we can at least get the conversation started with solid science, that would help in the long run.

18. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Maybe, but I also happen to believe that, while the science is important, the argument that "we're born this way, we can't help it," will be a weak one. Rather than being seen as broken, immoral people, we will be seen as broken, diseased people or as broken, handicapped people. This debate about the science has not helped our cause in the US at all.

It does nothing to challenge the fundamental sexism behind this kind of hatred.

If sending a scientific delegation would help queer Ugandans, great!

But I think it would send a stronger message to say that the job of states is to protect their citizens, and that includes all citizens whose activities fundamentally harm no one, and that a state which refuses to protect all of its citizens risks becoming a failed state.

19. Aldrick

I agree completely. I made that same argument in this thread.

However, the President of Uganda specifically asked for scientific advice, and so it makes sense to send him a delegation of scientists. I also think that the State Department should be coordinating with other pro-LGBT nations (particularly the UK) to send a strong message that the signing of this law won't be tolerated. They could argue the exact reasons as you outlined, but back it up by saying if the law is passed not only would foreign aid be cut off but sanctions would be levied against them for their human rights violations.

I also believe that sanctions should be levied against Nigeria, since they've passed a similar law already, but sadly the international community seems to be largely silent about it there. I'm not sure why Uganda deserves a higher level of scrutiny than Nigeria. It would certainly help sway Uganda against signing it if they watched Nigeria get hit with sanctions first.

I mean... here is some news coming from Nigeria that isn't getting any attention.

Nigeria president signs bill outlawing same-sex marriage, gay rights groups

Dozens arrested for being gay in Nigeria in response to new anti-gay law

Amnesty International: Gays arrested in at least four Nigerian states

Nigeria gay crackdown: 1 man flogged, 10 others face possible death by stoning

Arrests spread across Nigeria, unleashed by wide-ranging new anti-gay law

Religious leaders praise Nigeria’s new anti-gay law, claim it’s ‘God’s will’

Nigerian protesters urge speedy convictions, executions of accused gay men

Mob attacks suspected gays in Nigeria to ‘cleanse’ their neighborhood

This is just a taste of what is going on in Nigeria right now since the passage of it's anti-gay laws. The same thing is going to happen in Uganda, and other African countries are contemplating following the lead of Uganda. One of the ways to help put a halt to it is to come down as fucking hard as possible on Nigeria, doing all that we can to cripple their economy, and basically send the message to Uganda and other African Nations: "Do you want to join Nigeria? If so, pass those fucking laws, and it'll be ten times worse for you."

20. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Actually, science has really helped because for a long time scientists were, influenced by social norms, defining homosexuality as a mental illness. I think it was a watershed moment when in the 70s the American Psychiatric/Psychological Associations removed this definition because the overwhelming amount of research showed homosexuality in fact has no inherent handicap or disability. The argument is not just "we're born this way"; it's "we're born this way, and there's nothing wrong with us".

So, I think scientists play a critical role because they are viewed by the public as being logical and well-reasoned in their opinions. How can we hope to convince the average person on the street that homosexuality is okay if we can't convince a scientist?

I should add that we also have to look at the corrosive influence of American Conservative Christians who are fighting a proxy war by inciting homophobia in Africa. We need to find a way of stopping those anti-gay propagandists.
    It is homophobia, not homosexuality, that is alien to traditional African culture | Michael Mumisa | Comment is free | theguardian.com