1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Firefly star Adam Baldwin compares gay marriage to incest

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by FrozenFae, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I usually do compare homosexuality to insist myself. Consensual adult love is still love. If two family members want to bump uglies, then that is their business. Some families prefer insist because of who-knows-what. In fact, there are more states that allow you to marry your cousin than there are that allow you to marry someone of the same-sex. Let's not be too hasty as to label things like this as hate-speech.

2. FrozenFae

Sorry, but I don't see my relationships with other men the same as someone diddling their mommy. A little common sense here :eusa_doh:

3. unknown17050

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    It sounds to me that he is more speaking ironically than literally, I do not get the impression he is talking down on gay marriage and saying it's bad, to me it just sounds like he's trying to be funny or weird, and failing at that.

4. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, on firefly he was kind of a jerk, so it's sad that he's the same way in real life.

5. DoriaN

... What?

6. ShadowSpirit26

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Consensual adult love is still love, but homosexuality and incest are nothing alike. This is absolutely hate speech, and if you compare homosexuality with incest or bestiality or anything else like that, than you must be hanging out with conservatives too much and letting them fill your head with such inaccurate bigoted garbage. If you want to make a case for incest, than go ahead, but you are completely and even a bit disturbingly wrong to compare it to homosexuality. Just because 2 things are viewed as taboo by idiots, does not make them the same thing. That's like saying all taboo is the same which is stereotyping and completely inaccurate.

7. BelleFromHell

Reminds me of Rick Santorum...

8. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Homosexuality is completely different than beastiality, but incest? The very thing the LGBT community fights for is the right to consensual adult love. Two adults who are fully aware of their sexual preferences are easily comparable. Hell, if people believe in the Bible, they would believe that incest is the very reason we were created. My point is that homosexuality is, even a little bit, comparable to incest. It's not really a "bad" thing. It's their business.

9. Ghost93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Incest is something that would be difficult to manage. Fathers and Mothers taking could easily use laws to take sexual advantage of their children. You of course could say that it applies to children over 18, but what if parents made their kids do sexual favors for them so they wouldn't kick them out of the house?

10. Thunderlane

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Great. I wonder what his former co-star Sean Maher thinks about...

11. PurpleGrey

Straight people say the darnedest things.

12. ShadowSpirit26

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ghost93 is exactly right. I couldn't care less about incest if it's between 2 consenting adults, although if it's a heterosexual relationship, then they should not have kids by the normal means because it could cause severe birth defects, but Homosexuality and Incest are two very different things. Homosexuality is about 2 consensual adults of the same sex being together, while Incest is about 2 people (hopefully but not always consensual) of any sex being together. If you compare Homosexuality to incest, than you would have to compare it to Heterosexuality to Incest as well. Homosexuality can be compared to Heterosexuality, but Incest can not be compared to either one. If 2 consensual adults are in a Incestuous relationship, I wouldn't care or judge them like many other people would. If two people love each other and the relationship is consensual, than I see nothing wrong with them being together, but Incest is not the same as Homosexuality, and cannot be compared to it or any other sexuality. It's just not the same or even comparable, and he meant it as an insult when he compared the two.

13. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Homosexuality involves only two consenting adults and results in absolutely no harm to anyone else.

Bestiality results in harm to another, harm to a non-consenting animal. (Even though we don't require an animal's consent to KILL them to eat them, making laws against bestiality even more rooted in taboo than incest).

Incest results in harm to another human being, due to the genetic defects the child of an incestuous relationship would have to suffer. A brother and sister falling in love with each other and having kids would result in kids whose lives are permanently disabled and harmed, and would pose a social cost to society having to take care of developmentally disabled people their whole lives. It's more than just a taboo.

Homosexuality causes absolutely no harm to anyone, and creates absolutely no social cost to society, it has no effect on anyone other than the 2 consenting adults in the bedroom.

Comparing homosexuality to incest is insulting and does the entire gay community a great disservice. If you want to take up the cause of incest, fine, but don't you dare do it by attaching it to struggles of the LGBTQ community for civil rights and fair treatment.

14. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

I agree. :eusa_clap

15. Night Rain

So what if one of them is infertile, or the relationship is homosexual?

16. Clay

The problem with incest is the abuse that almost always seems to go hand in hand with it. It's abusing a position of power and trust.

You could say the father and son are in love, but more than likely the father manipulated and psychologically abused the son who, now 18, thinks he's in love when in reality he doesn't know any different and was raised by someone who abused him and convinced him it was a loving relaitionship.

17. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When I read this, I wondered what you were talking about. I'm a big Sci Fi fan, but didn't know the names of the actors on that show. I didn't realize he played Jayne, the one crew member who sold out the others, got caught, and almost got thrown off the ship in space for it.