1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Apple Is Putting Pressure on Arizona to Stop the State's Anti-Gay Bill

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Geek, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Apple Is Putting Pressure on Arizona to Stop the State's Anti-Gay Bill

Good Job Apple! Now just get the slaves in China to stop making your products.

2. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

I think pretty much the entire business community (the Arizona Chamber of Commerce along with local chambers of commerce, along with all sorts of businesses, small businesses along with major corporations like Apple and Google), not to mention the major athletic associations like the NFL that are planning to hold the next Super Bowl in Arizona, are all lobbying relentlessly for a veto to this bill.

This is what has driven both Republican U.S. Senators from Arizona (John McCain and Jeff Flake) to call on Brewer to veto the bill, along with 3 of the Republican state senators who voted for this bill in the legislature but now want Brewer to veto it.

Ultimately if Brewer does veto the bill, it will be because of the threat of dire economic consequences and the opposition of the business community that drive Brewer to veto it, not because of any sort of taking a moral stand for gay rights by vetoing it.

But whatever works works when you're dealing with a state that's dominated by crazy Republican leadership.

3. Sebastian481

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

---------- Post added 26th Feb 2014 at 05:29 PM ----------

They were smiley faces on emoji :slight_smile:

4. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Apple is just as corrupt as the other company.

Besides, they can issue a policy for hiring that DOES not discriminate hiring of LGBT people for their own company.

5. EatYourRikkios

Well, I'm just going to stop reading the comments on the article now...

My main question in regards to all of this is what the state senators were thinking? I don't see how the economic backlash - from individual citizens and from businesses - weighs against making the religious right feel better. The bill is doomed, even if it does pass into law it's going to be thrown out within the year, so how does making a few hyper-religious whackjobs feel even more persecuted in the 'War on Christianity' help them? How does pissing a number of people off over the sheer bigotry of this bill help them? Working on this bill, passing it, that takes up time, money, and resources much better served doing something that will result in more than butt hurt all around.

I fully expect Brewer to veto the bill. If she didn't, I would be shocked. It's just bad politics. That said... it worries me on no small level that it even got passed. So, yay, go Apple. May you and everyone else continue putting the pressure on Arizona to stop being homophobic :***:

6. BelleFromHell

I heard other corporations are taking a stand as well. :slight_smile:

7. Ashen

Is it wrong that I really just want at least the last half of that video to be aired in every hyper republican state just to see what happens?

(Also, good on ya apple. Though I guess it's a bit annoying that I know they're not really doing it for any right reason, and only because it's their business policy)

8. BucKeTz

Corrupt company or not, this is a great move by Apple. Honestly, you can hate them as much a you want, but they are still doing the right thing here. If Walmart helped save a rain forest for no reason but publicity, they are still doing the right thing.