1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Ukraine accuses Russia of deploying troops in Crimea

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by BradThePug, Feb 28, 2014.

1. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    More here

2. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Let's be honest, as far as Russia is concerned the Ukraine and most of eastern Europe is still Russian territory. In their eyes, those countries are just colonies not sovereign states.

3. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Ukraine: Russia Approves Military Action

Uh oh...

4. Perseus

This is getting too far, I really don't like wars... and also, Russia doesn't have the right to invade a country and America doesn't have the right to stand in other countries' business...

5. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Sat and watched RT News for the first time today to see how they're reporting this business. Could only stomach about fifteen minutes before switching off, they're just a propaganda mouth piece for Putin.

I think at this point the Crimea is Russia's; the Ukrainian government isn't stable enough, anything they say is going to be ignored by Russia, the Ukrainian military doesn't stand a chance against the Russians, Europe and America aren't going to get involved militarily, and the UN is practically useless because of the Russian veto.

The worry now is what's stopping Russia from annexing the rest of the country? Then again I suppose they'd paint it as "liberation from fascists and Neo Nazis."

EDIT: I suppose my prediction of Russia troops in Kiev by the end of the year is still holding up.

6. sam the man

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    BBC News - New head of Ukraine's navy 'defects' in Crimea

It's looking a lot like the Ukrainian Navy Chief has just defected. Apparently he's been seen in a news conference with the PM of Crimea swearing allegiance to the people of Crimea.

The Ukrainian military don't have anything on the Russian army, to me it seems incredibly likely Russia could take back the Crimea. At the very least I'd expect Kiev to be forced to give Crimea an independence/secession referendum by the end of the year.

7. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    There was already one planned for the summer, but that's been conveniently brought forward to the end of this month.

8. sam the man

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Interesting. Looks like I've missed that, makes it even more probable that Ukraine'll lose Crimea by the end of this. At this point you could almost say they have.

9. suninthesky

I'd agree that the US getting involved is not usually favorable. But from my perspective it's interesting to remember that France got involved in the US Revolution, and it might be a very different world if they didn't.

It's not all about America getting involved though, the US is definitely not the only country that isn't liking what's happening.

10. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    There's not really much we can do militarily. I can't see the public over here being too happy about another military adventure in a far off land, something Putin won't have to worry about. Also most countries that would oppose Russia are in the middle of downscaling their armed forces, so a protracted land battle just isn't feasible.

Putin on the other hand has spent billions on upgrading his forces and can back it up with manpower and the fact he's already got bases in Ukraine. About the only chink in the armour would be the fact that it's mostly conscripts in the Russian army and supposedly morale is pretty low amongst them at the best of times.

11. Ravi-VIXX777

Very true. I wish it was so simple for everyone to go back to kindergarten and learn to share, again. But that's not the case, America is the world police, and it can be both good and bad we are almost (obligated?) to get involved in anything.

I just want the 'gay propoganda law' to be gone in Russia.

12. burg

the only good thing about rt news and the rest of russian state media is that it massively hints at what putin will do next.i think your fears of russia taking all of ukraine is very real.