1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Jared Leto's Oscar Win For 'Dallas Buyers Club' Criticized By Transgender Community

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Jared, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Jared

Jared Leto's Oscar Win For 'Dallas Buyers Club' Criticized By Transgender Community

Thoughts? Opinions?

2. Saint Otaku

Re: Jared Leto's Oscar Win For 'Dallas Buyers Club' Criticized By Transgender Communi

I don't like anyone meddling in art. I've been told by friends, in lieu of "political correctness", I shouldn't act in certain roles because of how I identify. As an actor, I find it to be highly offensive to my art to dictate how I should express myself.

However, I am not close to this story, nor am I transgender, so perhaps there was something far more offensive here than what I am seeing.

3. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Re: Jared Leto's Oscar Win For 'Dallas Buyers Club' Criticized By Transgender Communi

What's the problem with having a straight white male portray the transgendered woman in the movie?

First of all, why does it matter that he is straight? If it was a gay, or bi white male how would that be any different

Second why does the fact that he is white have anything to do with anything at all?

Finally, I mean I guess why some people may be upset about a man portrayin a transgendered woman but this is set in 1980s Texas so back then transitioning must've been much, much tougher than it is now so it wouldn't be too far of a leap to say that the character's appearance might be partly masculine. Also back in Shakespearean times men portrayed woman all the time

And the actors don't really have a lot of time to make an acceptance speech, what is it like 20, 30 seconds at the most?

(Btw didnt see the movie)

4. girlonfire

I think the trans community is taking this a bit far. With that mentality, as Leto says, what would stop homophobics from saying gay people can't play straight characters?

5. Sarcastic Luck

Meh. People will use any excuse to complain.

6. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

The problem is that trans people aren't even able to play trans characters. It's going too far to reverse the situation like it's a legitimate issue when the situation doesn't even let trans people play trans people.

7. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

I thought Jared Leto gave a very heartfelt and classy acceptance speech at the Oscars, dedicating his win to the victims of AIDS along with an explicit dedication to L,G,B, and T people, "to those of you out there who have ever felt injustice because of who you are or who you love."

The "who you are" part I took as referring to T people, while the "who you love" part I took as referring to LGB people.

I can't possibly fathom what fault people are finding in that.

As for having a straight white male portray a transgender woman...well, that's acting for you. Do you think gay actors should only be allowed to play gay roles? Having a straight white male undergo the intense role of playing a trans woman with AIDS probably opened his eyes to get a glimpse of the queer experience.

I'm not particularly familiar with the story behind "Dallas Buyers Club", I think the people involved actually were white, but I don't think the race of the people was the point of the film.

8. Sarcastic Luck

At this rate, any sort of positive exposure in the media is good exposure.

9. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I have never seen Dallas Buyer's Club and never heard of it until the actors won their Oscars.

Nevertheless, he did include the entire LGBT community in his speech, whether he meant for that or not. And as for him being a straight, white, cis male, I've seen the most flamboyant gay person I've ever seen portray Lumiere in Beauty and the Beast, who's USUALLY known for being straight (Of course, he obviously blurred lines in his portrayal). I've also seen 2 gay people in a sing-along movie who were playing characters that were fighting over a woman. I've seen a Black Javert (and absolutely adore his voice and his portrayal during "Confrontation"). I've seen both guy and girl Gavroches.

And if that's not enough, centuries ago when Shakespeare was writing plays, all the parts were done by men.

I think we're going a BIT far with this. Our actual issues deal with people not believing we exist in the first place. Let's tackle those before we find reasons to bash someone because they didn't thank you.

10. Sarcastic Luck

Don't forget Neil Patrick Harris playing a straight womanizer..

11. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Unless you were referring to something else?

12. Sarcastic Luck

How I Met Your Mother.

I'm also drinking, so I'm a bit slow at the moment.

13. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Ah, okay. I'm tired, which is the closest to drunk I'm ever going to get.

14. BelleFromHell

I've seen LGBTs play straight people (*coughNeil Patrick Harris*cough*) and they weren't offended, so why should trans people be offended over Jared Leto winning an Oscar? He a talented actor and deserves it! It doesn't matter if he's trans in real life or not, we're all human, dammit! The more our community gets butt-hurt over stupid sh*t like this, the less people look at the LGBT rights movement seriously.

15. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

I've never seen the movie so I can't judge his portrayal. Really, the problem to me isn't so much that a man's playing a transwoman but that trans actors aren't hired as often. You know, Neil Patrick Harris plays straight men. Heath Ledger played a gay (bi?) rancher for pete's sake. But we've got both gay and straight actors playing either part to the point where it's a non-issue (for the most part) whether the orientation of the actor lines up with the character.

With trans people, most major trans characters were played by cisactors. Hilary Swank, for instance, played Brandon Teena (and yes, put out a brilliant performance). Rebecca Romijan played a transwoman on Ugly Betty. Adam from Degrassi was played by a ciswoman.

Even if the performances are good and respectful, there aren't many actual (openly) trans actors out there either playing cis or trans roles.

There's a growing number of prominent trans actors out there. Laverene Cox, for instance, and her role as a transwoman on Orange is the New Black. So hopefully one day, as directors cast more trans actors, these kind of points will be irrelevant. We could have a transwoman playing cis, a ciswoman plays trans and it doesn't matter what the actor's gender is versus their characters'.

It's why I don't like seeing Indian characters being played by white guys. There simply aren't enough actual Indian actors cast in those roles.

16. Steam Mecha

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual

This reminds me of when some people were saying that same love wasn't sincere because Macklemore is straight.

17. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I think Leto did a great job and had a wonderful acceptance speech. It would have been cool to have an actual trans person play the part, but maybe Leto just auditioned so well, they just had to pick him. I know Orange is the New Black has a trans character, and is played by a trans person.

On a side note, I really want to watch Dallas Buyers Club and 12 Years a Slave.

18. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all

I'd be interested to know the thought process behind casting Leto. Not saying he shouldn't be doing the role because he's not transgender, but I would like to know why he was considered the best option.

19. PurpleGrey

While I agree that a trans actor would be more fitting, I have no problem with the casting choice. There is the possibility that they just couldn't find a transwoman who was still masculine enough for the role and setting. Of course, having not seen the movie, I really don't know if that was even an issue. Ill see if I can find it on the net.

20. That1Guy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

It seems like some people are outraged as if it's their profession to be. First they'll be outraged that hollywood doesn't have enough LGBT related films, and when there is one, they're outraged that a straight white male played the transgender character... That's their job as actors in hollywood - to portray other people.