1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Pope Francis says same-sex civil unions could be tolerated by the Catholic Church.

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by BelleFromHell, Mar 5, 2014.

1. BelleFromHell

2. Ridiculous

Re: Pope Francis says same-sex civil unions could be tolerated by the Catholic Church

Not really a laudable achievement.

3. BelleFromHell

Re: Pope Francis says same-sex civil unions could be tolerated by the Catholic Church

As an agnostic atheist, I usually don't really care too much about this kind of stuff. However, the pope is someone millions of people look up too, so when he becomes more open-minded, the whole world notices.

4. Juggalo

Hmmm. I guess I'd rather "tolerated" than what they currently preach.

I can see it being more annoying though. "Oh, you're gay? Hmm well. Thats ok. But you should probably think about it if you wan to meet Jesus."

5. Sitri

Well, some of the REALLY old popes were okay with same sex unions. Like, before the crusades popes.

6. allyssa

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual

This is super shocking to me. My whole family is very Catholic. I never thought about even telling them that I'm bisexual because the Church is so against it... but this... wow. Maybe if I talk about this with them... maybe I can tell them I'm bi. It might just be the open ground I need to make them no disown me.

7. Molly1977

I think this would be seen as progress for people who are religious. This could help some people be more comfortable talking about themselves and their sexuality,

8. Steam Mecha

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual

Best Pope Ever!

9. Nick07

10. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

What choice does this monument to anachronism and irrelevance have?

Still, it must be irksome to be only "tolerated", like some pebble in one's shoe

11. PurpleGrey

I think this is a great amount of progress to get the ball rolling. I don't think we should demand that Catholicism should change drastically so quickly, but I think that before too long, it will be considered very unchristian to speak out hatefully against homosexuality.

I love what he said about the importance of focusing on the general idea of God's love and not focusing on things to hate each other about.

12. apostrophied

This is a very big step. Within a few years, Catholics have gone from having a Pope who wouldn't hear a word of any of this, to a pope who actually shows some compassion and even acknowledges that such a thing as civil unions for gays actually exist. I think this is enormous.

Rome wasn't built in a day, remember.

13. ClosetedFather

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

Sounds like he is setting things up for a gradual transition in position. To suddenly come out in favor of gay marriage would cause chaos. He probably won't go that far anyway. There are reasons big change happens slowly in large institutions. This is great progress.

14. Timm

This is certainly a step in the right direction.

15. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I do like this guy! There is a segment of the Catholic population that will never accept this (what I generally think of as the dead-eyed crowd waiting desperately for 1950 to come back), but there is another segment that hangs on every word of the Pope, whose minds all just cracked open the tiniest bit and let in a little fresh air. On the surface it's a small step in a new direction, but that's how lasting progress is made.

16. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

It seems good...but we don't need of this "charity".

Dear pope,
    remember we are not a second-class population and I don't like when you say "matrimony is between a man and woman". You drove me crazy when I read that. OH REALLY??? WE ARE IN THE 2014 AND WE HAVE TO LISTEN THIS BULLS****IT YET?????

What an idiot!
    With love, Robin.

Sorry for the outlet guys :icon_redf :icon_redf

17. MissyT

I'd like to point out that many Catholics/Christians refused to drink coffee when it first came to Europe because they thought it was the devil's drink. Then the pope approved it and look how many Christians and Catholics drink it!

I know coffee and same sex marriage isn't the same thing but I think with the pope's "toleration" (and maybe approval down the line) things will get better.

18. GayDadStr8Marig

I certainly welcome the tone of Pope Francis, being inclusive toward LGBT Catholics such as myself. However, I don't see things changing much in our lifetimes within the church's teachings, at least not officially. While there are some local parishes willing to take on the intolerance and have started gay-straight support groups, the overall tone of the church toward LGBT issues is hardly welcoming, and certainly not consistent.

For example, the church holds that homosexuality is in fact not a choice as once believed but part of how God made us. That's fantastic, right? Well, then they turn around and say being gay is Ok as long as you don't have gay sex. Why? Well because "the bible says so"... except it really doesn't. They continue by saying it's against the Natural Law for same-sex couples. How can it be against Natural Law (which was created by God) when God also created us as gay? God created human beings in His image; God is Love; therefore we are created to give and receive love. The ultimate expression of love between two individuals is to share an emotional and physical connection. There is nothing unnatural about it. They further the bigotry with the narrow definition of marriage being valid only between a man and a woman. If we are all created in God's image to give and receive love, and if we are called to share our love in a committed monogamous relationship, does it make any difference to God the gender of our spouse? I can't see how when we were created by Him and said he loves All of his creation.

So back to the Pope; he is apparently conscious of the effect of homophobia on gay Catholics and seeks to improve the relationship. First, he talked of not being able to judge a gay person who comes to seek God in good faith. Now, he speaks for the possibility of accepting the good role of civil unions for gay couples. Will the church evolve over time to accept homosexuality in general as equal parts of the Body of Christ? I hope so, but I believe that kind of change can take centuries of incremental shifts like this; anything more abrupt would be so jarring it would strike the very heart of the paternalistic hierarchy like a massive earthquake leaving the church a broken and fragmented shadow of its former self.

19. Nikky DoUrden

And this pope is what I wish every person that other people look up to him, will be.
    This pope rocks (!)

20. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

This is a baby step, but one in the right direction.