1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Professional footballer (soccer) to come out?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by RedDev84, Mar 6, 2014.

1. RedDev84

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey all.

For those on twitter, you may have noticed the really strong rumours that a footballer who played for the England national team just yesterday is set to come out to a national newspaper on Sunday.

This will be the first ever of it's kind, at least here in England. We've had one or two ex-players come out but they have retired or been retired for some time.
    For me personally, this is really a big deal because when you consider there's 92 professional league clubs in England with an average of 35 players per team and not one player is 'out' it doesn't really help out the fight against being gay as something to hide.

As a major football fan I really hope this can see more professionals and people in general take the steps to do the same. It's fair to say the glaring fact of none of my 'idols' from childhood and present coming out, was a negative factor.

Fingers crossed this is true, would be a big step forward.

#1 RedDev84, Mar 6, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  2. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    The fact that it's a Twitter rumour and the Sunday tabloid that has it (my money's on the Sun) hasn't been shouting from the rooftops about their scoop makes me incredibly sceptical.

3. newfish

I'd heard about how closeted professional football/soccer was, just like American football and basketball (although they both now have an astounding ONE OPENLY GAY PLAYER). There was a TV segment about, I don't remember what news station, which also pointed out that professional sports are less open than the U.S. military. It would be great if more professionals could come out and encourage young athletes and anyone fearing discrimination to come out.

I haven't seen any of the rumors, probably in part because I'm on a different continent, so I guess we won't know until Sunday.

4. caughtbywitness

Justin Fashanu was actually the first and only UK player to be out while playing. Think the only other footballer to come out while playing is an american called Robbie Rodgers.

Interesting, but like many tweets I've read today: it shouldn't be news.

5. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thomas Hitzlsperger was another, but he retired due to injury and then came out.

Here's the starting XI plus the subs from the Denmark game (the one that was played on Wednesday) if anyone's interested -

Players with names in brackets next to their names indicates they were subbed and who they were replaced with (in case anyone's wondering). As far as I'm aware all of the players play in the English Premiership or Championship with the exception of Fraser Forster who plays in Scotland and Jermaine Defoe who plays in Canada.

EDIT: I'd hope that if this is true that he doesn't end up like Justin Fashanu did. What happened to him is still a stain against football, certainly in this country. I'd like to think that the game has moved on to the point where a gay player would be able to carry on with the full support of players, clubs, supporters and governing bodies.

Certainly a lot of clubs and players are taking a stand against entrenched homophobia (see Cagliari in Serie A and Joey Barton), but I do wonder if supporters are going to decide that if a gay player isn't delivering on the pitch that gives them a green light to start throwing "FAGGOT!" their way. I mean we've not even managed to eliminate racism and sectarianism from the terraces yet and the response from certain bodies to those problems has been anaemic at best, so I do wonder if there is homophobia at European and International level if UEFA/FIFA are going to take a proper "we ain't tolerating this crap!" stance.

#5 GeeLee, Mar 6, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  6. Meagan

The only thing I can say about that is that guys at my school who play football (American football) act REALLY gay in the showers. I'm surprised that the majority of them are not gay!

7. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
  8. Joe54321

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It will be great if it is true but, the rumour was started by a freelance journalist not an actual Sun on Sunday hack. What I found interesting was the fact Luke Shaw deleted his 'message' an hour after posting it. Why? For me the fact they are denying the rumours gives more support for them being true.

9. RedDev84

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Disappointed and a bit sad to discover that the really strong rumours were untrue.

Feels like a kick in the teeth a little, and that freelance journalist made a really unfair move. I'm not sure if I'm the only one with big hopes this was true, to pick up our expectations to get absolutely nothing is pretty poor in my opinion.

10. Yosia

I think they should~ the more who come out then the less homophobia there will be!! I really respect celebrity who come out ^o^

11. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Really, these types of rumors are very damaging because they resort to speculation and can push players who actually do have same-sex attractions further back into the closet. Homophobes will use this as just another example that "there are no gays in football" and continuing with their hatred. A player's personal life should be kept private until he/she is comfortable enough to share it with the public.