1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Four men flogged for homosexuality in Nigeria, Angry Mob Demands Execution

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Rakkaus, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Four men flogged for homosexuality in Nigeria

Um, wow. If you think being queer is hard enough where you live, think of what life is like for queer people in Nigeria.

As if state-sanctioned punishment by violent lashing weren't enough, being gay is enough to get an angry mob demanding your execution.

This is why I think any anti-gay legislation, no matter how limited it might be, ultimately leads to violence against gay people. In Uganda, they might have changed the "kill the gays" bill to "life imprisonment for gays" bill, but they have created a climate in which mobs of ordinary citizens will target and murder gays. The same goes for Russia and it's ban on promoting "non-traditional sexual orientations"; as has been documented, there are already vigilante groups out there targeting, torturing, and in some cases killing gays. The governments in Nigeria or Uganda or Russia will do nothing to protect the gay victims or punish their attackers, they have already granted their tacit consent.

2. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Four men were kissed for being gay in Nigeria? Wow, people change faster than I thought! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

In any case, I'm totally in agreement with you, Rakkaus. And whenever I try and tell these people this, they want to call out "Reductio ad Hitlerum" or they'll tell me that I'm being heterophobic or pushing an agenda that replaces the majority with the minority.

3. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That is.. horrendous. We need immediate change.
    If people would just be accepting of equality, maybe we could spread out the love and peace. Yet we light more fire instead. Unbelievable.

4. That1Guy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    And we have the right-wing hate groups in the US such as the "family research institute" to thank for alot of this stuff too. They not only support laws like the ones in Uganda, but they had one of their high ranking officials over there influencing Christians in that country with his extreme homophobia.

5. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Right, I totally agree. After all, law is just a legal structure for sanctioning violence. Event when laws codify things like "this is the preferred sexual behavior" or "this is the preferred social relationship," they tend to validate people who want to be hostile to those outside the preferred or sanctioned behaviors and relationships.

These kinds of laws, in places like Uganda, have already encouraged third parties to out queer folks and invite violence upon them.

This is ultimately a kind of sexual and gender-based fascism that gets pretty dangerous.

6. Cas

Cas

I read this one study that said approximately 98% of people in Nigeria were against homosexuality. I'm not sure if that statistic is accurate, but it's shocking nonetheless.
    I read about this on AOL earlier today and my stomach dropped. This is terrible. My mind can barely grasp it.