1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Adam Lanza's father breaks his silence

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Tightrope, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My heart goes out to this man. The pain and burden he carries is obviously immense and he's a middle-aged professional man who has to go out there daily and interact with the public. He is honest about his thoughts. When it comes to children with problems, a lot of families want to sweep things under the rug for the sake of appearances. He talks about this troubling situation.

Adam Lanza's father: I wish he had never been born - TODAY.com

The entire event could have almost put one in a state of disbelief. However, reading this article can wake someone up, especially with his candor.

2. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Clarification: Of course, my initial thoughts of sympathy and compassion went out to the families and friends of those who were killed in the shooting in Connecticut and I was saddened to see these kids' lives senselessly cut short and that those who were educators and administrators in that setting were also victims.

However, all of these perpetrator's have parents, siblings, and cousins who will go on to hear "Aren't you (so and so's) father / mother / sister / cousin?" for their entire lives. Some will be judgmental of them, as if they were an oddity of sorts or provided the DNA, while others may be empathetic. This is the pain and burden they carry. Like Peter Lanza says 'I wish he'd never been born,' as if to say, 'That would have prevented this tragedy from happening.'

3. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Listening to that interview made me feel like I was reading the novel "Nineteen Minutes" by Jodi Picoult again. The father of the boy who shot up the fictional high school in this story sounds just like Lanza's father-grieving more for the victims than the loss of his son. In that book, the father tells his wife he's going to the jail to visit his son, but actually drives to the cemetery and visits the graves of the kids his son murdered.

4. Theron

I was rather horrified by the statement that he wished his son had never been born.

That's nice; he was born. Wishing doesn't make it so. Maybe instead of useless wishing for something hurtful, when there are so many people out there with mental disabilities, he could become an advocate for better mental health care like Creigh Deeds in Virginia. Now Creigh Deeds is a good example of a father of a mentally ill child who did something terrible.

5. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think he meant it as being able to take back that event, almost as in a "take back that night" slogan sort of way which is used among women rallying against sexual violence. I don't think he felt that before this occurred. He knew his kid was troubled and I think he knew his kid was prone to odd behavior, and he probably just wished that his ex-wife was able to handle the situation and that Adam would get better, or at least manage. I don't think he thought it could have gone as far as it did. In some of these articles, there was mention that the mother, Nancy Lanza, sort of put a bandage on the situation instead of taking a long-term approach. She had to take it one day at a time, trying to manage that difficult situation, and no one knows whether that approach was working or if she should have proceeded differently. She was seeing behavior which had become stranger, according to accounts. Kids don't come with instruction sheets. She probably did the best she could do.

Maybe Peter Lanza will become an advocate for mental health. Maybe he won't. Perhaps he needs more time, given that he has just broken his silence. Becoming an advocate for a cause takes a certain kind of person and a calling. His expressing what he said, while it's not something most parents would say, was his trying to convey to the survivors that he is on their side and that, had Adam never been born, those people at Sandy Hook would still be going about the business of living.

For the parents of kids like the Columbine HS shooters, the Aurora CO theater shooter, and others like that, they have unwillingly been pulled out of private citizen status and thrust into the public eye for being linked to someone and something heinous. We can't even fathom the level of stress they deal with every day compared to, say, losing a job, losing a loved one, a financial setback, and other more "routine" mishaps.

I couldn't believe it as the story and all the background information was being released in increments on the news as they learned more.

6. Zam

Zam

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The "I wish he was never born" is not appropriate.
    Something like "I wish he reached for serious help" or "I wish I had known something was terribly wrong so I can help him"
    People who have serious metal disabilities similar to his son's will take that as "society does not want you at all, you have no reason to exist" and that will twist their situation even more...

7. Foster

Something's not right about this guy. He wasn't in his son's life, and he's not mourning his son's loss. And no parent in there right mind would say they wish their child had never been born, no matter what their child did. A parents love is unconditional. Honestly I doubt he was much of a father.....and that might be part of the reason why his son was so troubled. He didn't help his son get the help he needed, and he doesn't seem regretful of that, only regretful that he had him in the first place. That isn't right. I don't pity this man at all.

8. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I sympathize with this guy. I wouldn't judge him without even knowing the situations. Yeah let's call this guy a bad father just because in every divorce situation the father is made up to be a bad guy who did not care for his children. In a lot of cases the women file for full custudy and get favor from the judge. When that happens some women alienate their ex husband and made sure their children seen their father as a bad guy and make their new husband/boyfriend their new father. This is happening to my decent law abiding uncle who is going through a divorce and it is time to stop make the guy the enemy. Adam's mother is the who had guns in the home knowing her son had problems and here is the father saying he wishes his son was never born yet doesn't blame his ex wife for what happened.

---------- Post added 11th Mar 2014 at 08:41 PM ----------

We cannot compare this situation to all people with severe mental disabilities. Every case is different so we got to be careful not to stereotype because that can also be dangerous. I agree that his comments were not exactly mature but I understand where he is coming from. i felt the same way sometimes about some people in my life but that would not be nice to say on here.

9. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    ^

I think that Nancy got full custody of Adam and gave up her job as a stockbroker to be a full-time homemaker. They lived in Connecticut. The father, Peter, probably works somewhere in NY and there is an older brother, living in NJ, who either went with the father or is now an emancipated adult. I think Peter was definitely absent from Adam's life in the last few years, but we don't know what his level of involvement was like before that. However, Nancy did quit working, Peter made it financially possible for her to be a full-time mom in a nice area, and raising Adam was part of her new full-time endeavor. I'd bet the brother is fairly traumatized as well. His rendition of what it was like to grow up with Adam might be interesting. Again, they all deserve their privacy, and if they choose to come forward, it's their choice.