1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Gay People Living in Fear in Greece

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by ckgay, Mar 11, 2014.

1. ckgay

2. BelleFromHell

That is sad... :frowning2:
    I hope things start to get better there soon.

3. ckgay

I don't think they will, sadly. So as soon as I'm old enough, I'm moving to the US to live with my boyfriend. xD

P.S.: OMIGOSH IS THAT N?

4. BelleFromHell

I thought Greece would be more accepting since it has a long LGBT history, but guess things are changing there.

YES, that's N. :icon_bigg

5. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Fascists in Greece? Well I never.

I think the most disturbing aspect to these stories is the fact that the authorities give precisely zero damns. One would hope that the likes of Golden Dawn will go the way of the dinosaur once the economy picks up again, but then again there was probably a version of me saying that in the 1930s.

#5 GeeLee, Mar 11, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  6. ckgay

Things have been like this since forever, really.
    Proof: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_in_Greece#Media

---------- Post added 11th Mar 2014 at 07:25 PM ----------

I don't feel safe here anymore, I think that's pretty obvious. Things got very messed up a few years ago and they still are. All I wanna do is move away to the US, but that ain't happening because there's too much to lose and also my parents have no intention of leaving. Oh and they also don't know I'm gay which is pretty darn hard for me.

7. BelleFromHell

Sorry for my ignorance.
    I do think it's a good idea to move here when you're old enough, but you should be careful about which state you live in. Kansas and Texas for example won't be much better than Greece. If you move somewhere that's socially liberal or has a high LGBT population (California, Washington, New York, etc...), it'll be much better. There's a high LGBT population in Atlanta, Georgia (where I live), but people's views on homosexuality are EXTREMELY mixed since this is a red state, so I wouldn't recommend moving here.
    I want to move to San Francisco, California when I get older. :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 11th Mar 2014 at 09:43 AM ----------

And about your parents, unless they show clear signs that they're OK with homosexuality, I'd keep it a secret. I know it must hurt, but it's better to keep it a secret than to risk being thrown out.
    I told my christian dad that I was a lesbian, and it didn't go very well... :astonished:

8. ckgay

Firstly, I'm planning on moving to Massachusetts.

Secondly, I'd LOVE to get kicked out. My parents and I don't have the best relationship, you see. I don't hate them, but I'm pretty sure they've had enough of my crap already xD I'd love to get kicked out so I can go live with my friend Steve in a friendlier city, the "second capital" Salonica. ^_^

9. BelleFromHell

Massachusetts is a good choice and gay marriage is legal there too. :icon_bigg

I feel you, my parents and I don't get along very well either. My mom, stepdad, and dad are all conservatives. I get along WAY more with my godmom, she's a moderate and has a ton of gay friends.She's the only member of my family that I've ACTUALLY come out to willingly. (the rest pressured me to come out)
    As long as you have a plan on where you'd live if they threw you out, then you can come out.

10. ckgay

I'll come out *after* all the good stuff has happened xD (that 2-day school trip that they're barely letting me go to, all my performances with the choir and what not, and so on)

11. SongshiQuan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like a number of Neo-Fascist groups are on the rise in Europe, esp. Southern Europe. Scary, you'd think they'd remember everyone generally had a bad time the last go-around.

12. BadCanadaJoke

13. Ravi-VIXX777

Thank goodness for the security guard. LGBT should have self defense training camps aha

14. Sitri

Greece was at the hight of its power when homosexuality was tolerated. The sacred band of Thebes was an elite army composed of 150 gay couples, which was defeated by Phillip II of Macedonia, father of the legendary Alexander the Great, who, had a male consort.

Modern Greece is not quite a pillar of civilization and they hate gays. Coincidence? Maybe. Probably actually, but this decidedly negative attitude is certainly not helping them.

15. BadCanadaJoke

"84% of Greeks also reported not having any gay or lesbian friends or acquaintances"

I guess all gays in greece are either closeted or in some ghetto where nobody can see them....
    Or even worse! Married to a va jay jay!

16. ckgay

All three. I'm taking a stand for all gay people here. There's SO much discrimination in this country and I really wanna fix that.

17. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Pretty much. Where there's a recession, facism is sure to follow.

Fortunately only a few of them are militarised this time out.

18. BadCanadaJoke

Don't delude yourself. You can't fix an entire country. You can't fix an uneducated country of granmas and white people still living in the middle ages! 84% of them don't "know" any gay people. It's none of their business. They don't have anyone being "oppressed" by them thinking it's evil!

Education. Education. Education. If you want to fix it, become minister of education and ad "sex ed" to the school program.

19. ckgay

Aw hell naw I ain't doing that! They will never elect me and everyone will hate me and ALSO my grades suck so I'll never have a chance.

20. SongshiQuan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Elect? Who said anything about elect? *laces fingers together ala Mr. Burns*