1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News First Arrests In Uganda Under Anti-Gay Law

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Rakkaus, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Report: First Arrests In Uganda Under Anti-Gay Law| Gay News | Towleroad

2. the lone wolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is just disgusting, that's all I can say about it.

3. danball7

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    *facedesk*

4. Uranian

Uranian Guest

Yep. It's pretty horrifying. I feel fortunate to live in a country that legally speaking Queer people have protection and in a large part of society even understanding and acceptance. Every Western country should stop foreign aid to Uganda immediately and offer refugee protection in their countries for Ugandan LGBT people.

#4 Uranian, Mar 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2014
  5. Calix

It breaks my heart that there are still countries like this. Surely society has developed enough that this type of discrimination/hate should be gone. I hope other governments stop this soon and help those being targeted.

6. Ignorance

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    That's just horrible.

7. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Humanity just took a step backwards and underwent social de-evolution.

And here's another thing. If we know this about Uganda, what do you think they do to gay people in North Korea?

8. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I imagine a firing squad is involved.

So how long until some idiot from the American Taliban chimes in with their "well, if they hadn't chosen to be gay" crap?

You'd also think that governments would be strongly challenging this, but apart from the aid being redistributed it's just been "stop or we shall be forced to ask you to stop again."

It's just not good enough.

9. Amerigo

**** the UN

10. Ravi-VIXX777

It's sad that people don't stand up and fight for what they know is right in their heart, but are afraid of the government-a government that does not serve the people but itself.

11. PurpleGrey

I am disgusted. And those letters? Oh, I'm sorry, you're a great person and all, but you're a depraved faggot, so get out of my house. Goddamn!

12. King

Meanwhile the international community is flowing millions of cash into Uganda for 'foreign aid' and is doing nothing to condemn their behaviour.

What about the UN? Oh ye they are 'urging' them to change the law back.

13. SaikuKitsune

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I signed a petition, not that it will help much right now. this really rubs me the wrong way...

I really wish for tolerance... why won't people learn to just see people as people?

14. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Because God.

That's the long and the short of it. They've created a God that's perfect for them because he hates the same things they do. Hell even in the west discrimination is still considered acceptable if there's a religious element to it, just look at ENDA. We can't even get bans on conversion therapy because religion.

It'd be laughable if it wasn't harming people.

15. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is such a disgusting law and the mentality of the people who support it is nothing but pure ignorance and hate. I know if I lived there I wouldn't be fooling around with another guy. The consequence isn't worth the risk. I imagine they'll be beaten and raped with broomsticks and such in jail. They'll say oh u like things going up your ass so here you go, how do you like this? Barbaric, cruel, sick fools!

16. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Well the problem is that the Ugandan government's policies are just re-enforcing and giving new ammo- the force of law of the state- to already-rampant homophobia in Uganda.

That's why Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni signed it- it boosted his popularity in a country where over 90% believe homosexuality is an abomination- and distracts the population from all the real issues that plague the country. Demonizing minorities is an old trick when it comes to tinpot dictators ruling over shithole countries that are falling apart. Instead of addressing real social and economic problems that plague Ugandans, Museveni distracted them and sent them on a witch hunt to blame the gays for all their problems. (In fact he has further imperiled the economic struggles of Ugandans by jeopardizing the foreign aid the country receives from many Western nations, when many Western leaders, including President Obama, urged him not to sign the bill or it would force a review of our aid to Uganda)

I believe the way this particular law was worded, it actually makes it a crime for a straight person to NOT report someone suspected of homosexuality to the police. It's downright Stalinist.

This gives free reign for Ugandans to discriminate and target gays all they want. They can evict them from their homes (like those two horrible letters quoted in the OP), they can report them to the police to have them sentenced to life in prison, or in many cases they will feel empowered by the social climate to violently target and attack gays with impunity, feeling they are doing the country a favor. Kind of like the neo-Nazi "vigilantes" who target gays in Russia- except in Uganda the "vigilantes" probably be much more violent and deadly to queer people.

17. That1Guy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not to mention the fundamentalist christian organizations here in the US that helped make this happen are enjoying tax exempt status.

18. Ravi-VIXX777

Well said. History repeats itself. It's not the first time people have used minorities as scapegoats for others' problems. Such as the Jews being used as scapegoats for Hitler.

19. StillAround

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This. Makes. Me. Sick. Full Stop.

20. BelleFromHell

The USA needs to cut ALL aid to the Ugandan government until they get their shit straight.
    It's discusting how stuff like this is STILL happening in the 21st century. :tantrum: