1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Do we need LGBT retirement homes

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by PatrickUK, Mar 19, 2014.

1. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  2. Beware Of You

Well in the US its different since a lot of the older generation are more likely to be homophobic

3. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, I think we do...as the Baby Boomers move into these homes, there will be radical changes in the way they are run. I expect that there will be less of what can only be called "being treated like children" and more about adult lives living their last years in dignity...at least one can hope! LGBT folk will need a place like this because it will be hard to relate to people who don't know what it is all about.

4. photoguy93

I think that it could be very important - but there's still one aspect that needs to be thought of.

Are these retirement communities as in... the final stop? Or are these places for people who just happen to be older and want to be around older people?

As a future nurse here, I think of the nursing home part - what happens then? What happens when these people fall and break hips? It doesn't sound like these provide nursing staff - or am I wrong?

That happens to so many older people, so if you're trying to get away from the traditional community...what's the point?

5. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Some already exist in the U.S., although they are not ubiquitous. There won't be many, but there will be some. Obviously, you'll have them in places like California and New York. As for Tennessee, I'm not so sure, at least initially. In a lot of places, they just wouldn't work. I'm thinking Topeka, Kansas. But, in those same places, I doubt there would be much of a GLBT population to begin with because would have moved out to urban areas.

One issue would be people showing someone around town and saying "Hey, that's where the old fags and lezzies live." I can almost hear it now. Therefore, there's more to address in putting together a retirement home for sexual minorities than there would be for heterosexuals, though I am sure that some gay and lesbian folks also live in them currently. I've talked to a few people who live in such places. They told me that they are full of characters, some are ornery and downright busybodies, and the gossip grapevine is active, including pairing up. That would mean that a man or woman who has never been married might get grilled by the more sprite ones. I've also heard that, in those places, someone is dying every week and they are reminded of that on some bulletin board. How depressing.

6. Hartofgold

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    LGBT retiremeny homes has got to be the worst idea I have ever heard.

7. superchicken

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    reading somebody dying on a bulletin board every week is depressing.

as for the characters and shenanigans going on in retirement homes, i think netflix should make a series about this. it would be interesting.

8. girlonfire

I just read this and was about to post on it, hahaha. Honestly, this almost seems like the LGBT are trying to isolate themselves, and it's not going to help the gay rights cause. It's like having retirement homes just for blacks, just for Koreans, just for Muslins, etc etc. They're not helping themselves...

9. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    HBO had one this fall called "Getting On", set in the geriatric ward of a hospital. Sort of a dark comedy, similar pseudo-reality tv shooting style as The Office. Looks like there's another 6 episodes coming up in season 2.

As far as the need for LGBT retirement homes, I think there is one currently, because as mentioned, many people of that age today aren't exactly accepting and open-minded. Hopefully it won't be such a big deal in 20 years or so. Keep in mind many of today's LGBT "seniors" don't have the option of living with their kids because they don't have any. Again this is changing over time.

10. Nicholas1991

I wouldnt mind being put in one if i was older. I mean, if you were openly LGBT beforehand, it would almost be like going back into the closet. At least you could be around like minded people.

11. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'd rather not be segregated for something I have no control over. It would be much more favorable if "regular" retirement homes became more accepting and tolerant, so there wouldn't be a need for separate facilities.

12. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I don't want to go in an old folks home they better not put me there I'll be one pissed off old lady :tantrum:

13. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Interesting that most of the people posting are not the people likely to be using them any time soon :slight_smile:

Many LGBT elders don't have a lot of family, and if they do, it's more likely to be sisters or brothers than children. Certainly there are exceptions: LGBT people who were married and had kids, for example, but gay or lesbian couples having children of their own is a pretty new phenomena.

So for those LGBT people that don't have children or other younger relatives to care for them, the idea of an LGBT-focused retirement community can be very appealing, since an LGBT person going into a conventional retirement community is likely to feel left out when extended family of most of the other residents come to visit, and they don't have people visiting them. Additionally, there's a level of companionship and comfort that comes of having like-minded people around.

There are already quite a few affinity-oriented retirement communities out there: for military families, Christian families, Jewish families, or activity-oriented ones, for people who have strong interests in particular activities/lifestyles such as golf, horses and the like. These are beneficial because they bring people with similar interests and backgrounds together, and it's well documented that seniors tend to be happier and have better quality of life when they're surrounded by people with similar interests and familiar experiences.

I've seen several LGBT retirement communities advertised here in California, and I've also heard about a couple of multigenerational LGBT intentional communities that are forming. I think both could potentially have very positive benefits for their served constituencies.

14. Hexagon

When are we building separate toilets for the queers?

15. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can see why some people think it's the LGBT community segregating themselves, but I don't agree and I really like the idea of these retirement homes. Companionship is a big thing for elderly people who often feel isolated and alone. As a minority community we are more likely to experience these feelings in old age and I think bringing us together in this way is more positive than negative.

It's a very sad fact that many of us die alone, at home and it's only after a concerned friend hasn't heard from us for days, weeks or even months that enquiries are made and we are discovered by Police/Emergency Services... in a pretty appalling state it has to be said. I don't know about anyone else, but I don't want to end up like that.

I'd be happy to end my days in a dedicated LGBT retirement home... but I'd be mighty p***ed off if they couldn't come up with better entertainment than a coffee morning. I'm surprised that didn't cause a riot!