1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News World Vision to Hire Christians in Same-Sex Marriages

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by apostrophied, Mar 24, 2014.

1. apostrophied

Choosing to defer to the authority and autonomy of local churches on doctrinal issues that go beyond the Apostle's Creed and its statement of faith, World Vision will no longer discriminate against Christians who are legally married to a same-sex spouse. As a parachurch organization, World Vision wishes to remain as neutral as possible so as to not detract from the organization's mission to serve the less fortunate.

In Christianity Today:

World Vision: Why We're Hiring Gay Christians in Same-Sex Marriages | Christianity Today

2. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yay!! I've always loved the way World Vision does things (our church used to do the 30-hour famine). I was really hoping not to click into this thread and hear that I was going to have to be disappointed with a group I'd admired.

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's good to see that World Vision is doing this :slight_smile: I now just have to wonder if my former church is going to continue to work with them or not..

4. Beware Of You

Good for the, however its a sad state of affairs when this is actually seen as news.

Its one of the reasons who I only support secular charities

5. apostrophied

Unfortunately, World Vision caved in to pressure from the Right and revoked its policy change today.

World Vision Reverses Decision To Hire Christians... | Christianity Today

Rachel Held Evans, a progressive Christian blogger, has been covering the issue since the beginning. Here's her response:

World Vision Update

I wrote to World Vision to express my disappointment. I'd invite anyone else who feels so inclined to do the same. But please remember to express your disappointment with grace.

Help - Contact Us | World Vision

6. Beware Of You

Christian charity resumes opposition to same-sex marriage

Hence why I avoid religious charities

Christian charity resumes opposition to same-sex marriage | World news | theguardian.com

7. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Re: Christian charity resumes opposition to same-sex marriage

I thought that for once there was some progress being made. But in the end, the religious right strikes again by saying that they will stop supporting them. This is another example of how some Christians (Please note the word some, I know that there are ones out there that are not like this.) are so willing to help others, but then refuse to support an organization that is helping people because they are allowing gay people in.

8. spockbach

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Christian Charity Backtracks on Gays

The following may be found at http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/28/us/christian-charity-backtracks-on-gays.html?_r=0.

The hypocrisy is almost incredible: Upon learning that a charity holds views that do not wholly coincide with the majority of its participants, persons who so ardently advocate Christian ethics withdraw their sponsorships for children in need.

The comment about homosexuality as compared to incest is, of course, a familiar one, but nevertheless repulsive.

I am a member of the Episcopal Church and committed Christian, and I cannot fathom these actions as in any way applicable to Christian teachings.

9. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: Christian Charity Backtracks on Gays

World Vision got put in a hard place. Their main goal is to provide for the children and if thousand of sponsors are canceling their sponsorship over World Vision hiring Same-sex couples then they had no choice. The children still need to be taken care of, which meant that they were forced to recant on their previous decision.

Maybe one day they could try to change their policy again, but right now it is not an option if they still want to take care of the children.

To the "Christians" who stopped their sponsorship of this. You are horrible Christians. Christ taught you to love each other and you have successfully failed at that.

10. spockbach

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian

I entirely agree with the withdrawal of the statement. I should have been clearer: I disapprove not of the charity's decision, but of the fact that the sponsors refused to help the children.

11. IG88

Yes, what if World Vision's employees were polygamists or incestual? Would children all of the sudden stopped being fed and housed? No. The main requirement to be a World Vision employee should be the concern for less fortunate children. Not what they do. Jeff Chu's words are very convicting. Christians who withdraw support should do so on a decision based on their personal family finances and how much they are willing to give up to keep the donation money going, not because they feel uncomfortable with the handlers of their money. And apparantly some Christians used their disgust and anger at World Vision's "regretable" decision to withdraw their support. The only regretable thing here is the immaturity of so many Christians. :bang:

12. apostrophied

I read something somewhere where someone pointed out that WV has effectively shot themselves in the foot by going back on their decision. Those who were happy about it will stop supporting them because they feel cheated, and those who were unhappy about it won't go back to supporting them because they don't trust them anymore. It's really a lose-lose situation.