1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Maryland House advances Transgender bill!

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Claudette, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Claudette

Claudette Guest

So I have been following this very very closely... and I am excited!

Here's the article
    Maryland House committee approves transgender rights bill : Washington Blade – America's Leading Gay News Source

So basically it just extends rights to Transgender people in the state, meaning discrimination laws, the works! (even the right to use Gender appropriate Bathrooms!)

I hated arguing about this anyways lol "You should fear a male to female individual in the female bathrooms at the same level you should fear a lesbian in the bathroom, and last I checked women don't outwardly fear that"

2. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is really awesome. I'm glad that more laws are going through to keep people safe. I'll assume this also means that trans* students are protected as well.

3. Claudette

Claudette Guest

covers anyone in the state who identifies as transgender ^^ in every public service, and most private ones (where the line is drawn i do not know) but it makes all discrimination against transpersons illegal in the state

4. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's great this passed! I got a phone call yesterday from Human Rights Watch reminding me to call my state rep, and I wondered what would happen. Well, now it just needs the Governor's signature, which is pretty much a sure thing.

I think this makes us the 2nd state, along with Delaware, to extend such rights...glad to see we can be at the forefront of something so positive.

5. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Massachusetts has had anti discrimination laws in place for almost 2 years now for transgender people... Except for the bathroom issue, which is still being addressed. Heh I noticed you said it covers public spaces, mass covers private spaces like jobs and housing employments.
    Also Mass needs to get off it's butt and follow along instead of lead for once.

Good that the world is slowly catching up with equal rights for gender.

6. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really don't get the worry about MtF in women's bathrooms.

I mean, it might make a bit more sense to worry about FtMs in male bathrooms - at least they'd be able to see something private. Everything private that women do in bathrooms, they do in a stall.

I mean, seriously, what am I supposed to be afraid of? That an MtF might hear me peeing? Oh, the horror!

7. Claudette

Claudette Guest

The Bill is now out of the House and moves to the Governor's desk for signing into law!
    Gov. O'malley has previously promised to sign the bill when it reached his desk. Let's just hope he keeps his word, which I think he will as he is a very LGBT friendly person & supporter. After all he did sign the marriage equality law into effect!