1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Current status of overturned SS marriage bans ?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by BibleBeltBill, Mar 30, 2014.

1. BibleBeltBill

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi all !
    Im a little lost with keeping track of the status of all those overturned state bans.

So many state courts have overturned their states SS marriage bans in the last year.
    With every overturn ban now on hold via the stay.
    So what are they waiting for? Whats next?
    Im especially waiting for Utah, my #1 attention getter.

And why does this always go against our community? Granting of the stay?
    Why put into limbo the enforcing of SS marriage law with the stay?
    Why not "stay" the ban instead, putting the ban in limbo, and immediately allow all overturned bans to proceed, and place that stay on the states challenge with keep the ban?

I live near Iowa. Iowa Ss marriage has been legal for years now, since 2009 I believe.
    But if the republicans take over their democratic state senate, everyone knows first day the republican controlled house and then senate will force the issue to a vote and put a measure on the ballot to overturn the long running Iowa states SS marriage victory.
    And being Iowa, the ban will no doubt succeed by the voters.

Then, no doubt followed by yet another court ruling that the ban in effect is not legal.
    Or, an immediate court challenge to the ban the day after voters pass the ban.

What gets me is there will be a stay involved, not staying the voter approved ban but staying SS marriage rights while the voter approved ban begins the court battle.

I can "maybe" see but no way accept "staying" the overturning of a states SS ban by the court, where SS marriage has "never yet" been allowed, but in Iowa ss marriage has been legal and working for 5+ years now.
    Shouldn't any voter approved ban be the legal process "stayed", not the active law that already has allowed ss marriage in Iowa?

If republicans take control of the Iowa senate, and they put the issue on the ballot (and they will), and the voters pass the ban (which they will), why should all those long termed SS married folk be harmed by allowing the ban to take effect?
    Then, with the court ruling to overturn the voter approved ban, followed by the stay placed on legally married SS couples in Iowa?

Why does "their" side always get the stay benefit?
    And never the SS marriage side?

But this post was started for asking the current status of all the overturned bans.
    If anyone follows that closely?
    What are we waiting for now from the court(s) ?

2. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family