1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News The Surprising Benefit of Switching Font.

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Simple Thoughts, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Simple Thoughts

2. Nikky DoUrden

I think its a pretty known fact no ? Whats the special finding about that ? They can also print it in smaller letters so they use less paper, here we saved more billions :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. Simple Thoughts

Haha true enough I guess =p

4. Techno Kid

Neat! Never thought of this. lol : 3

5. WeirdnessMagnet

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Garamond is a sweet font, not just because of ink economy, but 30 years of conditioning by Microple and Applesoft just won't go away.

6. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

I've always loved Garamond, I think it's a beautiful font. Maybe I'll start making my posts here in Garamond haha.

I never quite understood how Times New Roman came to be the standard font for 'official' paperwork, from high school essays and college term papers to official government documents.

Meanwhile, new versions of Microsoft Word default to "Calibri" as the default font, which I never use, and I am bewildered as to why Microsoft would chose that font as the default, whenever I open up a new Word document I immediately have to change fonts because I never use Calibri. (I'm not even sure what the reaction would be were I to write official papers using Calibri.)

7. Sarcastic Luck

Probably because garamond is hard to read.

8. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Times probably became big because it's not flashy, which would appeal to the business world.

I like it in that it's easy to read, and works well for stuff that just needs to be read. But if appearance matters, I'll turn to something else. When I write something to submit for possible publication, Times is the choice. But if I produce something that I'll be copying and distributing, I'll use some other typeface.

At least, thankfully, it's no longer "preferred" to have things printed so they look like they were typed on a IBM Selectric typewriter. Imagine dropping several thousand and then printing countless documents in Courier. (Yes. Laser printers once did cost thousands. I think the Apple LaserWriter was network enabled partly because it was too expensive to buy one for each computer, but was viable if a whole office could share the same LaserWriter.)

9. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The whole ink coverage thing has been kicked around for ages, seems some kid made a project for the science fair and media picked it up. Not sure what the Calibri story is, but Arial (another Windows popular) was basically a look-alike of Helvetica so Microsoft could cut down on costs and not pay an outside company for fonts they bundled with Windows. The first Macs had custom fonts with some rather unique font names as well (Chicago, Geneva, Los Angeles etc...).

10. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Not really, it's quite beautiful to read!

I know this forum defaults to Verdana. When I took a web programming class in high school, I remember we were also told to always use Verdana because it is simple and has no serifs. Even though it's pretty boring and ugly.

11. Sarcastic Luck

No. Seriously. It's hard for me to read. It's faded out.

12. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree. Times New Roman is far easier to read. Although it is economically more efficient to change, it does pose a problem for people with poor eyesight, and even problems for people with perfect eyesight. I find it harder to read anything that isn't hand-written or in certain, very clear fonts, such as Times New Roman, Calibri, and Verdana, let alone someone who actually has visual problems

13. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Guys, everyone KNOWS that Comic Sans is the best font.

XD

Honestly, Garamond looks like s good replacement for TNR.

14. Eric

I think Times New Roman is a pretty ugly font, personally. But I generally prefer my fonts sans serifs if I can help it.