1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Do gay people still need gay bars?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by PatrickUK, Apr 1, 2014.

1. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Asks the BBC:

BBC News - Do gay people still need gay bars?

What do you think?

My thoughts... not needed, but desirable. As someone who has visited regular bars and gay bars, I know where I feel most comfortable and relaxed and that's gay bars.

2. Yosia

I never been one for obvious reasons but i think they should stay, like you, people probably feel more comfy in them and you can meet similar people or even potential partners ^.^

3. PurpleGrey

There will always be a need for gay bars. I need gay bars because there, I know I can chat up girls and actually have a chance with them. Or, at least, I will when I find one and am the drinking age. There used to be a close one, but not anymore.

4. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would agree that gay bars are needed, principally as a place to feel comfortable, and because it tends to answer the question as to whether a "person of interest" is gay or not (not all people who go to gay bars are gay, but it is much more likely).

I would also argue we need other gay-predominant venues as well and it is happening...

5. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There will always be bigots out there (presumably, it seems), so there will always be a need for creating a space that we know ahead of time to be relatively "queer-friendly."

That said, the notion of slowly phasing them out of Western cities doesn't entirely upset me, since of all places on earth the would seem to be least useful there. But in even smaller Western cities, and definitely more rural areas, etc. - there is absolutely still a need for a safe space where you are relatively certain you won't be persecuted for being queer.

6. StillAround

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I was in a gay bar for the first time just 3 weeks ago. But I went back to the first one last week, along with a slightly raunchier place.

Necessary? I don't know... But comfortable? Absolutely. Go to a "straight" bar, and you'll see men and women flirting, telling dirty jokes, ogling, and more. But it will be a long time before the same behaviors between two people of the same sex will be taken as just
    "normal."

For me, it's one of the places where I can relax into myself. (And it's not the alcohol. I typically have just one drink and nurse it for an hour or more.)

7. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I don't think gay bars are needed, but I don't see why we shouldn't have those. I imagine them as a great place to meet up with new people who share the same interests as you. There's no negatives that come from them, but there are some positives.

8. Thatoneguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good question. There is three gay bars in the city I'm in, and one of them is usually populated by about half straight and half gay folks. It started as a Gay Bar, but after it won an award for the best dance floor for ~8 straight (heh) years it started to become a bar for everyone. Also they allow people with student Id's in free for part of Fridays. So its a young mixed crowd and it works.

It may just be the city I am in but we have some 'straight' bars that my friends and I are comfortable going to and we frequently find other members of the LGBT... community there. There is also a few bars that we know not to go to because their patrons are less than open minded (we ended up there during a queer pub crawl once and it caused a lot of problems).

Because of that I feel that there is still a need for gay bars, even in a city like mine where ,most people are pretty accepting.

Tldr;
    The bars here are about half and half for being okay with same sex couples, but the older queer crowd tend to keep to one of the gay dance bars. The younger straight crowd is much more accepting.

9. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I still think we need gay bars because I would like to go to a place where I can be myself I've never been to a gay /lesbian bar but I would love to go . I would love to be in a place where I can flirt with women who like other women and not having to worry that she could be straight or I can embarrass myself flirting with her , I would like to kiss another woman and not hear cheering from guys or that Whooo sound you always here when you kiss girls , I don't want there attention and I don't need it . I want to be in a place where I feel safe to be me and If I'm with my girlfriend I don't get guys coming up to us asking for 3ways or if they could watch . There is still a need for gay bars in my opinion .

10. Cheetah

Cheetah Guest

Our zoo has a bar just for us big cats. I think it's an absolute necessity. No one wants those loser hyenas around, ruining the atmosphere. Plus, I need a place where I can lick myself and not get weird looks.

11. Imatiger

I totally agree. We don't need those other animals messing with us.

12. Beetle

Not needed in some areas, but desirable. Regular bars tend to be full of straight couples and it's hard to find gay people to chat up with. And at a lot of bars I get hit on or cat called by straight men which makes me uncomfortable. Queer-friendly places make me feel more comfortable and safer. I'm usually ok with regular bars out with friends but I would never go alone.

13. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Exactly. The last thing this dog needs, is to go to the bathroom, and find a litter-box. It's very disconcerting.

14. BelleFromHell

I do if that's where I can find that DAMN FORTH CHAOS EMERALD!

15. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Oh please, you dogs will go anywhere. Cats all the way.

16. Wolf123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have thought about going to one, but have no one to go with :frowning2: I would ask my friends, but no one knows except my family. UGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When I do I know it will be nice because right now I feel alone because I have no one to talk to about things like other lesbians my age. It sucks.

17. BelleFromHell

Hey, what about us hedgehogs? :frowning2:
    Wait, nevermind. The cats might try to eat us...

18. Theron

I......don't like gay bars. Or at least I don't like our local one.

They're loud, noisy, crowded, and I don't drink or dance. They're also a hook-up place in my mind. I went once before my fiance and I got engaged to humor him, and even with my fiance plastered all over me, this one guy didn't want to take no for an answer.

19. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Absolutely, I think it is a terrible trend that so many gay bars are going out of business.

We need bars where gay people can hang out and meet each other and feel comfortable being ourselves. There are still many homophobic assholes who hang out in regular 'straight' bars.

Some of the most fun I've ever had was going out on a date to a gay bar, the bar had a weekly free drag show that was really fun to enjoy, and sitting with my date at the bar I was making out with him like crazy, without any fear of provoking hatred or hostility. In fact I felt at home in the gay bar, like kissing and making out with a guy actually made me feel closer and connected with the people in the bar, like I'm 'one of them', I felt like I 'belonged'.

20. Wolf123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have to agree with the drinking part. I don't drink. I have gone to a couple bars and have found them boring. Probably the only entertaining part was I was able to people watch.