1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Mississippi approves religious freedom bill

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Beetle, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Beetle

Here we go again...

What really gets me is that some people think Christians are being "discriminated" against and it says nothing of other religions, even though it's a "religious freedom" bill. But of course it caters to the Christians.

Full article here: Miss. approves religious freedom bill that could allow anti-gay discrimination – LGBTQ Nation

2. That1Guy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I hope someone sues the shit out of them.

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'd love to see this go down in flames. It angers me that there are some Christians out there that really think that they are being discriminated against...

4. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Win win situation for the far right here; if the bill isn't shot down then they can say that even LGBTI folk are OK with it, if it goes down in flames then they can claim it's all a conspiracy against Christians.

5. blueberrymuffin

Hopefully a fed court will take care of it.

6. Saint Otaku

I hate April Fools Day... "Oh, silly members of EC, don't you know what day this was posted! ^_^" *does some quick searches on google to verify* "Damnit."

7. Beetle

Haha, nope, I actually don't do April Fool's.

But yeah, if it goes down the religious right will probably say something along the lines of "Christians are being persecuted." Seems like the governor wants to sign it into law though.

8. Aldrick

I agree with this a thousand percent. Although I wouldn't say it angers me anymore, it just amuses me at this point. From their perspective there is this huge and powerful tide of Atheists and Gays conspiring against them who hold massive amounts of power.

Something like 80% of the American population self-identifies as Christian. The way that they talk, you'd think they lived under some horrific apartheid regime.

In reality, it's not Atheists and Gays after them... it's Christian vs Christian. More specifically, it's radical right wing Christians vs Moderate and Liberal Christians. Atheists hold zero power in the country, and LGBT people have only found success because of strategic alliances. Without our straight allies, we would be too few in number to hold the type of power that we currently possess.

The ironic thing is that they aren't being oppressed in the least. The source of their upset is really over the fact that the majority of American's think they're nuts, and don't want to live under the oppressive theocratic style government they want to establish.

9. Zam

Zam

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Is Jackson the town where "The Help" was based in?

10. Beetle

They don't like the world changing and becoming more tolerant of "non-traditional" lifestyles (since they like to bark "traditional values, morals, families" a lot), so they feel oppressed. It's silly.

11. Marc9726

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This is exactly what is needed, a law to protect the majority! -_- The fact they seem to not know about the existence of other religions apart from Christianity and that they think its the Christians who need the protection is rather amusing though.