1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Mass Stabbing

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Typhoon, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Typhoon

Typhoon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
  2. Simple Thoughts

Mass stabbing...that's not one you hear about too often. I mean maybe in the UK where guns are outlawed it might happen more frequently, but in the U.S. most people use guns.

On the bright side we've learned an important lesson. With or without guns there are mentally unstable people in the world. Until we start making better efforts to care for them bad things will continue to happen.

3. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If he'd gotten his hands on a gun, it'd be 21 dead. Instead, it's 21 stabbed but alive. It could have been much worse.

4. Sarcastic Luck

Just because you give someone a gun, doesn't mean they're going to be accurate. Guns don't have magic seeking bullets, you know. It requires two major things: properly adjusted sights, and some basic knowledge about the weapon.

5. AAASAS

Why is this crap never committed by outgoing, friendly people, kind of gives shy people a bad wrap.

6. Simple Thoughts

Social anxiety...

I think they shouldn't have said 'shy' I bet that's not the case at all. It's probably the news reporter misrepresenting someone with some sort of mental disorder. =/

7. Orange Bananas

It really makes me sad that this kid went without treatment for whatever mental disorder he has that he got to the point of stabbing. :frowning2:

8. Typhoon

Typhoon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family

Wrong again. Stabbing someone is extremely difficult even if you have just one target on his own without others potentially stopping you. Only a physically well-built individual could pull of a stabbing-spree successfully. When it comes to stabbing to the chest area there are the inter-costal muscles to adhere to, which would be practically impossible to calculate in the stampede. Aiming at the neck area would be effective but it's likewise very difficult in a panicking crowd, who could potentially resort to self-defence. There are all sorts of risk factors involving a knife and the kid had no experience (as opposed to shooting a gun in target practice), which is why a lot of them got minor scratches. Like that guy said, if he had a gun, there would be twice that many injured and about 21 dead.

With a gun, regardless of how shit your aim is, you can fire projectiles from a distance and cause either death or severe tissue damage. Even if you survive, some of the injuries you suffer include disfigurement and permanent scarring. Not saying that the injuries here aren't severe, but they'd be in much worse shape with a gunshot wound.

At least, to my knowledge, no one died.

9. Sarcastic Luck

I've fired guns before, both pistols and rifles. It's not very easy to hit something, especially a moving target. A fully automatic firearm? Yes, it would be easy, but lever action/semi automatic? It's not going to be very easy.

Obviously, stabbing isn't as hard as you claim since this guy managed to stab twenty people. On top of that, reading the article, the guy didn't aim for the chest or neck, he went for the stomach. Over half the people attacked went to the hospital with serious injuries, that's a lot more than "a lot of them got minor scratches". Also, it's..Not that hard to stab someone in the chest. I don't know about you, but the only thing covering my chest is skin and a little bit of fat. Not everyone is going to have layers of muscle.

Sure, you can cause death or severe tissue damage with a firearm. You can also hit a non-vital area, graze a target, or miss entirely.

10. Zam

Zam

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This is fucked up.

11. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    If the kid had a gun, then people would have actually died. It's time for the GOP to stop arguing that guns aren't responsible for mass murders. My condolences go to the kids who have been traumatized by this event,.

12. Typhoon

Typhoon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I mean of course it's easy to stab someone once and attack someone else, but stab-to-kill in such a situation, without back-up isn't going to work. You need to stab that person over and over unless you stab him fatally through the heart, or severe his jugular or his carotid artery, to name a few. In that frenzy at the school I doubt he was even checking where he was striking and just slashed like a madman, as he was in fact described.

And I'm guessing it would require a lot of energy as opposed to shooting. Yes of course it's difficult to hit moving targets, but in school shootings, more often than not, at least 5 people die. The only reason that some live to tell the tale is because of the shooter's aiming skills, but even a live round which is shot wildly and misses its target is likely to prove lethal to someone else in a narrow space, such as a school corridor.

From what I understand it is a gun-free zone, so a much more tragic event was prevented. In fact some of the injuries seemed minor enough to enable some of the 'heroes', so to speak, to post pictures on Instagram and other social media of injuries sustained in trying to help their peers.

13. Sarcastic Luck

There's quite a few vital arteries in the torso that feed various organs and severing those could result in the person bleeding out.

14. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If this was a shooting, over half of those people would be dead, maybe more. A person with no skills can fire a gun effectively enough to kill people, but with many people around, it takes a very specially trained person to do this.

15. Simple Thoughts

Can I just say that the 'Gun Debate' that just kicked on in this forum is completely overlooking the actual problem here. =/

Seriously...without guns involved a "Mass stabbing" still took place. Without the guns people got hurt in large numbers...so please just STFU about guns and let's talk about the "real" issue here.

Mental health is so widely ignored, so poorly concidered, and dangerous people who could be helped are fading into silence until they grab a gun, grab a knife, or make a bomb....

Instead of focusing on the stupidest bandaid ever conceived by our nation of morons how about we take some money and reallocate it towards a few new things.

1.) Better mental health care facilities

2.) Mental health research

3.) Creating a class in schools to help children recognize when someone is showing warning signs, know what to/not to say to them, and where they can go to address these concerns.

and also of course we could try taking a stronger stance on bullying which is usually what pushes these people to the breaking point in the first place.

You know, or we could just bitch about inanimate objects...=/

16. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If only this could have been resolved with a dodge-ball game!

I think one of the things that makes schools such pressure cookers these days, is that they don't consider the social and emotional needs of kids. They cut back or cut out recesses, shorten lunch breaks...they don't seem to care about how lonely/isolated some kids might feel, and how they could help people learn social skills, and have time for some fun, and to let off steam.

I'd hate to go to school these days, with how much like prisons they've become. It's sad, how they treat kids like cattle, marching them through endless standardized tests, as if that was going to solve everything.

17. Nikky DoUrden

Where is the +1 button ? I agree with you!

And I think this case is horrible... now think of the mental issues the kids that were injured will have.

18. Typhoon

Typhoon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Bitching about inanimate objects is the thing, since you don't really need guns anyway. Yes people were hurt in the stabbing, but how many more would have died in a shooting? Rest assured that it would be far more, and that regardless of how safe and cozy your mental health care system will be, you will always have that one person who will crack up. They will immediately use the item which is likely to cause the most havoc, in this case it was two knives.

No matter how you waddle around the bush, guns are the main problem. This attack is living proof of how a non-gun related attack orchestrated by a skinny 16-year old left scores injured, some in danger of dying. Had a gun been involved, rest assured that people would have died and many more would have been left with far more grievous wounds than the ones that were sustained in this incident.

19. Simple Thoughts

*facepalms* -.-'

"Guns are the main problem" <---- No, you're 100% not correct here. The main problem is mental health care. Getting rid of guns like I said earlier is a bandaid. It's only purpose is to try and cover up the underlying issue that leads to these problems. It's a stupid waste of time to try and take away guns...I hate to burst your bubble, but you can use random objects in any kitchen to create a bomb....without guns people grab knives and make bombs. That's just what happens. You can play 'ban the weapons' until the end of time and people will find a new way to kill each other. >.>

If you don't understand why mental health care is a more important talking point than guns all you're showing me is you're lack of any kind of substantial thought on the matter.

You're solution "Take the toys away" is an escape from having to deal with our responsibilities to our fellow human beings. You're basically saying "Who cares if people are suffering from mental illness, I don't want to have to deal with that. I'll just ban some stuff and pat myself on the back, that's so much easier than actually caring about another human being."

20. DMark69

In my experience of being around guns all my life, including 12 years as a soldier in the US Army, I have never seen a gun fire without human intervention. I have seen them fire when dropped, but that is still human intervention and could have been prevented.

Amendment 2: A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

People who want to ban guns use the militia clause in the 2nd amendment to justify their argument. "Well Regulated" in 1787 meant "Well Trained", they intended people to be well trained by owning their own weapons.

Who is the militia?
    10 U.S. Code ยง 311 - Militia: composition and classes
    (a) The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section 313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the National Guard.

So all male citizens from 17 to 45 are the militia. Therefore they should ALL be able to have firearms to Train, so they can be "Well Regulated"